SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
One Tree Hill
sandy

07-08-2008 11:47 AM

The concerns have not come only from this thread but communicated directly to LB Southwark and to the Friends of One Tree Hill. At base there is probably always going to be a difference of opinion over dogs in public spaces, so one person's feeling of safety is another's threat, but the other aspect you have ignored is that the area is a Local Nature Reserve and as such LB Southwark has a duty to protect the environment from the damage that groups of dogs (as well as people) contribute to the site. Of course one can be cynical about the local council but as it is their property and responsibility we have to work with them and individuals in environmental work have contributed positively to our gaining recognition as a place of special interest.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sandy

07-08-2008 11:51 AM

Apologies, comments refer back to Boosboss and one other, yes, I think people do sometimes feel safer because people go up there to walk dogs but I think it's the presence of other humans rather than the dogs, don't you?

kipya

07-08-2008 12:05 PM

I think there is widespread concern about the commercial dogwalkers, which extends beyond the limits of this thread. Many people have said that they have been/felt harassed by 'packs' of dogs, and whilst one might argue about the extent of the harassment, there is sufficient concern for it not to be simply dismissed as either hysteria or exaggeration. I think the fact that this thread was initiated at all is indicative of some level of problem.

It seems to me reasonable that someone should not have to be threatened by uncontrolled dogs - however sceptical one might wish to be about the 'level' of the threat. It seems to me reasonable that the Hill should not be churned up by large numbers of uncontrolled dogs. Oddly enough, I feel less secure with the dogs running round than not, and as a consequence I tend to avoid the hill when the dogs are there. And there's the issue - people feel discouraged, and as I pointed out earlier, it's ironic given the plaque underneath the Oak of Honor.

nevermodern

07-08-2008 12:16 PM

Well, widespread enough, boosboss, for my experience not to have been dismissed, however indirectly and smuggly, as hysteria and exaggeration.

Don't know what you're talking about with the world war thing. You can jump where you like.

As I said, don't go to OTH any more so don't really mind what they do with the professional dog walkers. Would've thought a few less of them would generally be a good thing, though, for all the valid reasons that have dominated this thread.

boosboss

07-08-2008 02:07 PM

Sandy, my cinicism regarding the local council was over their methods of fair consultation and their ability to enforce any control orders that may be put in place as the numbers of Community Park wardens have now been reduced to just 12 for the entire borough (or so I've been told by a reliable source). However as you've mentioned the maintainance and preservation of the site, my opinion of the council in this too isn't high. The following quote suggests that OTH is neglected by the council and left to a few caring locals.

Quote:
There is no workforce to "maintain" the site other than a community of local people who want to keep the facility, the couple of acres of woodland, on the hill

So SC's responsibility to their property can be left as a bureaucratic one only?

Kipya, I agree that there is basis for some level of concern, which is why my original post started with me stating that I'd support a limit to the numbers of commercially walked dogs. I also did not dismiss the fact that incidents happen and people do experience some level of harrassment. Again something that could be addressed by limiting of numbers. But I will stand by my statement that elements of hysteria and exageration will come into play. To quote myself 'packs of marauding hounds' as an example, but I know I'm not alone.

I agree there are concerns, but widespread?

sandy

07-08-2008 04:01 PM

Not sure where your quote comes from Boosboss, but there is a maintenance team that works on the Hill (we do have a contact with the officer responsible for this and can and have reported vandalism and rubbish needing to be cleared).There is also an Ecology officer working for Southwark and a community liaison officer who are both regularly involved in work and events on the Hill.

sandy

07-08-2008 04:14 PM

OK, see where the quote came from but it is not true as I have explained.

sandy

24-01-2009 02:16 PM

Southwark Council have just started a public consultation on whether or not to impose a Dog Control Order on One Tree Hill (copy attached). The notice can also be found posted on One Tree Hill and on the Friends of One Tree Hill website (http://www.onetreehill.org.uk - go to News, then Documents to download it). There has previously been quite a heated discussion here about the effect the presence of dogs has on the number of people wishing to visit OTH but the main concerns drawn to our attention relate to the larger groups of dogs exercised by commercial dog walkers. OTH is a designated Local Nature Reserve (and a relatively small open space) which needs protecting and some people find lots of free-running dogs intimidating. In our view the number of dogs should be limited to three per person (Southwark has proposed six). We agree with the rest of the Order as it stands. We would urge you to respond to the consultation (contact details contained in the notice of the Order) whatever your position on the issue.

Attached File(s)
.doc File  DCOJan09.doc (Size: 58.5 KB / Downloads: 414)
Ian Bull

12-02-2009 07:36 PM

Hullo everyone,

On top of One Tree Hill the commemorative plaque describing the 'Oak of Honour' states that it was planted in 1905 by Cllr. H. R. Taylor and Cllr. John Nisbet, the Chairman of Camberwell Councils Roads and Public Gardens Committee.

On Saturday 31st I led a walk through the area and a friend who participated thinks he may be related to Cllr. Nisbet. Does anyone here know a little more about Cllr. Nisbet? Also, can anyone suggest where further research into his background could be carried out? Any information would be gratefully received.

Meanwhile, thanks to those of you who took part in the walk. I hope you enjoyed it despite the cold!

All the best

Ian Bull

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

stevegrindlay

13-02-2009 12:08 PM

I'm also related to John Nisbet; he was my great-grandfather. His daughter Kate married my grandfather, William Grindlay, in 1908. They spent most of their married life in Stondon Park.

John Nisbet was born in Unst, in the Shetland Islands, in 1849. By March 1871 he had arrived in London; he was a footman in Hanover Square. By the time of his marriage in November 1871 he was a policeman at the Carter Road police station, off Walworth Road. He then became a commercial traveller.

He was an active member of the campaign to keep One Tree Hill open and was appointed honorary secretary. After the hill became a public open space he wrote a booklet which I suppose is a principal source on the history of the hill and the campaign to keep it open.

I would be delighted to hear from the friend who may also be related to him. I have more detailed family history information, but it's fairly inaccessible at the moment. My email address is sgrindlay[at]gmail.com

As a descendant of John Nisbet I was invited by the Friends of One Tree Hill to help unveil the plaque in 2005. Of the two balding, grey-haired old men I'm the one not wearing a robe:

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
stevegrindlay

13-02-2009 12:16 PM

I forgot to mention that I've uploaded some images of One Tree Hill to flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegrindl...667913682/

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
Ian Bull

13-02-2009 10:03 PM

Many thanks to Steve Grindlay for what must be the ultimate answer! I've passed the information on to my friend who confirms, through the Shetland connection, that he is indeed related to you. I expect you will hear from him in the not too distant future.

Thanks also for the links to your fascinating photos and historical notes.

Ian Bull

michael

28-08-2009 06:50 AM

There is the full text of a book written by John Nisbet "The Story of One Tree Hill" at http://www.archive.org/stream/storyofone...1/mode/1up
Some great photos of the hill from the early 1900s

Queenofdarts

18-09-2009 11:03 PM

Just a quick public service announcement for any other fans of foraging in SE23: the blackthorn trees at the top of One Tree Hill have lots of sloes on them that are just about ready. I got a punnetful this afternoon and there will be sloe gin happening soon!

The good ones are quite high up on the trees, so you might want to take something to stand on, or a tall friend, or a tall friend to stand on.

Also, while I was up there I met this splendid ginger chap, who was wandering around on his own. He was extremely friendly Thumbsup and didn't look like a stray but I did wonder how he'd got up there, as there aren't many houses immediately near the hill. Does anyone recognise him?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

lottie

20-09-2009 01:01 PM

Yep Ginger cat regularly visits the OTHAS allotments and is fed and watered but do not know if he has regular home life!!

Happysnapper

01-02-2010 11:16 AM

Took my dog for a walk to one Tree Hill for the first time on Saturday and have discovered a few ticks on her. Just a warning to other dog owners to have a check on their dogs, just in case. Thought it would be too cold but clearly not!

Have checked my own head and appear to be tick-free thank goodness! Unsure

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  This Friday - One Tree Hill Choir at St Augustine’s Church, One Tree Hill sarahmak 0 3,201 20-11-2018 10:20 PM
Last Post: sarahmak