SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Granny spinners
Londondrz

31-05-2011 10:52 AM

Shoulder barge them or a deft hand on the end of their handlebars as they wizz past will have them off.

This is a joke of course and I would not condone anyone doing it obviouslySmile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Orchid

31-05-2011 03:50 PM

I would very much like to see cyclists respect the idea that pavements are foot paths.

AMFM

31-05-2011 04:26 PM

And I would very much like to see pedestrians respect the idea that it's sensible to look before they step out into the road and forcing me to take evasive action.

See, we can all make sweeping generalisations about other groups of people. Honestly, a little bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss. As a previous poster said, some people do bad things, you can't blame an entire group for the stupidity of the few.

seeformiles

31-05-2011 06:43 PM

Who said we were blaming an entire group?

hillsideresident

31-05-2011 06:45 PM

No-one is bashing all cyclists, AMFM. We're talking about the ones on the pavement. Who are not, in my experience, mostly teenagers. They are mostly adults, and often much older. The thing they all have in common is that they see no problem with endangering and annoying (at any speed) other people in order to make their own lives easier.

I only quite like "granny spinners" myself. Can no-one do better?!

hillsideresident

02-06-2011 04:28 PM

AMFM: You say we shouldn't blame all cyclists, when we weren't. But perhaps that was your guilty conscience?

Here you say you cycle every day along a pedestrian cut-through. Did you not wonder what those funny railings were for?

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...8#pid37068

More and more I think the majority of cyclists spoil it for the minority.

Perryman

02-06-2011 11:35 PM

I think threads like this are very harmful. Obesity and inactivity are taking years off peoples lives. And if the US is a guide, this will get much worse in the near future. It's an epidemic.

Get the kids away from the playstation; unstrap and unpeel them from the back seats of the car and get them on a bike. And sure, get the grannies to get their old bone shakers from the shed and wobble to the shops in some fashion.

Turn SE23 into the cycling oxford of London, with bikes chained 5 deep at the station, schools and the shops! Once there is enough demand, the council will be forced to properly and safely accommodate casual cyclists, by creating wider mixed use pavements, or dedicated unbroken cycle lanes.

Ultimately motorists will lose space, will be forced to slow down and possibly drive more safely and considerately, so no wonder they rather cyclists were just banned! This is not going to be easy, for sure.

ryananglem

03-06-2011 08:06 AM

@Perryman I couldnt agree more

This thread is just stupid and is based around an unquantified assertion. Yes, some cyclists ride on the footpath, but some cars go through red lights and some pedestrians walk out onto the road without looking. It hardly means that all do.

Cycling is not only a way of keeping the population more active and healthy, according to the Dft (with old data - circa 2007) there are half a million cycle journeys each day in London alone - how many of these are on the footpath? Practicalities aside I hardly think they could be the majority.

AMFM

03-06-2011 09:12 AM

Hills - I don't have a guilty conscience or anything like it - it's a shared path and the pedestrians and cyclists who share it muddle along just fine without your misplaced righteous indignation.

And if you had read my post properly, it was directed at Orchid and I was merely attempting to point out that we can all sling out lazy stereotypes when it suits us. Anyway, Ryananglem and Peryman have said what I wanted to say with much more eloquence.

Londondrz

03-06-2011 09:45 AM

This thread started as a desire to stop cyclists riding on pavements, it has since spun off.

I used to cycle but now cant because of injury. I used to ride a motorcycle but cant for the same reason.

One thing I know is that ALL road users on two or four wheels and on foot could pay better attention. Cycling on a pavement is one of those things that annoys me, that said so does using mobile phones whilst driving with no hands free kit, riding a motorbike in cycle lanes, myopic pedestrians with their iPod of invincability..... I could go on.

Folks, keep off the pavement.

hillsideresident

03-06-2011 01:31 PM

This thread started very sensibly, with a perfectly reasonable complaint about adults cycling on the pavement, a practice that is selfish, unnecessary and not infrequently dangerous. Several other pedestrians then supported what I said.

Then the cyclists started posting comments. Oh, dear...

They said that we were criticising all cyclists. Nobody had done so.

Now we are told that the thread was "stupid". The thread was a response to a particular problem. Stop cycling on the pavement and we won't post threads about it. How arrogant to say that we are not entitled to object to that behviour.

We are told to keep a sense of perspective etc etc, lots of other problems etc etc. But the sense of perspective was lost when the cyclists started saying that they were all being criticised.

And we're told that "the majority of cyclists" ride on the road. Whoever said otherwise? Read before you post.

Cycling on the pavment is a problem. It is an increasing problem. And we are fully entitled to object to it. There's nothing remotely self-righteous about that. That term does, however, describe those who believe that cycling is so healthy and planet-saving that cyclists must be considered above criticism.

If you can't accept valid criticism, you just alienate people all the more, and you accelerate the process whereby more and more people start asking why exactly it is that cyclists can take to the roads, untrained, unlicenced and uninsured.

AMFM

03-06-2011 02:14 PM

Where's Baggydave when we need him?!

michael

03-06-2011 02:59 PM

Is there any official designation of 'shared paths' as referred to by AMFM?

I checked on http://cyclejourneyplanner.tfl.gov.uk and it does not show this as a cycle route.

I always thought the path at Shipman Road was a pedestrian path which is not entirely suitable for bicycles because of the sharp corner (that used to exist). On more than one occasion I was surprised by a bike coming round that corner a little faster than I would have expected. Is there any guidance as to whether bicycles and/or pedestrians should use this path?

ryananglem

03-06-2011 09:48 PM

Generally paths that have been paved with sideways paving across the path are designated for walking and with parallel paving are for cycles. Quite often you will see half and half. Its not always clear or signposted what that means (and different councils tend to have differing implementations) - however common sense prevails. If you ride at walking pace (and its hard not to) through a cut through like the Shipman Road/South Road one, then you're not doing any harm and there is enough room on that path for everyone.

I wouldn't usually ride my bike through there, but have no problem if others do. There are a lot more ridiculous cycle/foot paths around London!

john-f

03-06-2011 09:50 PM

Totally agree with AMFM. There are a lot of sensible cyclists who do obey the highway code and who are fed up with being tarred with the same brush.

I should also point out that as a road cyclist I do have to put up with bad driving by motorists, a lot of whom completely disregard the 20 mph speed limit in many of the back roads, who drive whilst holding and speaking into their mobile, who ignore cycle lanes and who hog the advanced stop areas at junctions.

hillsideresident

04-06-2011 05:55 PM

ryananglem: "If you ride at walking pace (and its hard not to)"....
Goodness me. So you're riding on a path where there are sufficient people around you, presumably walking in both directions, that you're forced to ride slowly. Seriously, does it not even occur to you to get off and push?

hillsideresident

04-06-2011 06:03 PM

It seems obvious that blind people must be upset by pavement cyclists, but the following piece still really shocked me. A woman writing on behalf of blind people in Cambridge: "There are many collisions, often in quiet areas with plenty of room for the cyclist to avoid the pedestrian. They are mostly not reported to the police because the injured pedestrian feels that nothing can be done as the cyclist cannot be identified."

Dreadful. "The cyclist cannot be identified." In other words the cyclist rides away before a sighted person can come along and identify them. You knock over and injure a blind person, and then, for fear of a £30 fine, you ride away leaving them shocked and injured behind you. Nice.

Also, I wonder how these many collisions occur. People cycling at 10-15 mph, maybe more, in an area where there are blind people, who of course have no idea they're there. And then there are collisions... Well, I mean, it's baffling, isn't it? Who would have expected that?

And lastly, again, I am talking about pavement cyclists. Not all cyclists. Pavement cyclists. Not all cyclists.

It's a sobering piece, if you want to read the whole thing: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/2...cle16.html

Poppy9560

04-06-2011 06:56 PM

a cyclist barged into me todaySad he was about 3 inches from a cycle lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he came out of a shop, jumped on his bike and obviously didn't look where he was going!!!!!!!! What goes through these peoples' heads for god's sake.
I was then nearly run over by another cyclist on catford Bridge - the narrow bit between the two stations where there is only room for one person going in each direction. These were both adult males. I am totally fed up of these irresponsible people.
I don't know what on earth can be done - but they give cycling a bad name. It is an excellent method of transport, it's green and keeps you fit, and I am sure most cyclist ride sensibly but I am seriously annoyedCursing

ryananglem

04-06-2011 07:41 PM

@hillside

Do you even know the pathway? Its not particularly busy and has a sharp turn in it - so its not easy to go quickly. As I said, I don't ride through there, as my commute takes me in the other direction but would have no problem if anyone did.

seeformiles

04-06-2011 09:12 PM

I always understood that on any shared pathway, such as bridleways, cyclists are meant to give way to pedestrians.

Anyway I am a non dopey pedestrian and I really resent us all being tarred with the same brush. Smile

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields