SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Postal Fraud (aka 419 Scam) Activity in Forest Hill
jgdoherty

27-05-2011 09:09 AM

I am deeply troubled by an early morning visit from an elderly neighbour in a state of some agitation.

My neighbour has received a letter on un-headed notepaper allegedly from a South African barrister.

It details (in very poor grammar) a tale in which the fake barrister alleges that my neighbour is entitled to a share of several millions of dollars following the accidental death of a multi-millionaire.

The scammer applies immediate pressure by absolutely insisting that my neighbour contact the barrister and provide all their personal details and a telephone number that my neighbour will be able to answer 24 hours a day.

You can imagine the amount of threat pressure that the scammer would be able to deploy if my neighbour made this contact and supplied the details as instructed.

This is a "bait" form of scam and the routes that this might take could be many - but the bottom line would be ultimately that the intended victim would find that they would be pressed into paying an up-front sum of money (and given their techniques the scammers would quickly establish how much a victim could be swindled out of).

419 scammers are not nice people, they are thieves, liars, and generally very nasty, therefore you can expect the use of every con technique if a victim should make that initial response.

This activity is vile and we need to take care that the vulnerable in our community do not fall for this kind of con and find themselves robbed of their savings.

My neighbour's letter was perfectly addressed (with a fairly unique first name) and it might be assumed that the scammers got the name and address from some official source like the electoral register.

Whilst I see fairly regular e-mails of this type, this is the first I have witnessed that has used the postal system. It may be the case that the swindlers believe their intended victims may be more susceptible to this type of approach.

We need to watch out for our more elderly family, friends and neighbours who may be receiving these through the post.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

27-05-2011 07:22 PM

Well said.
I know logic tells you to just ignore this sort of thing many very elderly get confused.

dipsolala

27-05-2011 10:42 PM

Agree, but we all have to actually look out for all our neighbours to try to make sure this doesn't duping happen to them, but how many of us honestly do?
How many of us would actually go to them if we needed help?
How many would respond to knock late at night or go round to check neighbours are ok on a regular basis? How many regularly communicate with neighbours?

Would like to live near jgdoherty Smile

And it's not only older people that can be confused btw

Big love

Poppy9560

27-05-2011 11:58 PM

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/419.htm

I hope you advised your neighbour to forward the letter to the local police fraud unit - this type of thing is unfortunately widespread

shzl400

28-05-2011 09:52 AM

Also if you get phishing emails, you should forward a copy to the real organisation purporting to be the sender. Most of them have special emails specifically for this purpose on their websites, usually om their "contact us page".

jgdoherty

30-05-2011 08:29 PM

My neighbour has elected to pass the offending letter to CID in Lewisham.

A good decision I feel, particularly if the scammers have focussed their attention locally.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields