SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Alcohol abuse
Sherwood

19-01-2008 08:36 PM

Catford has a no drinking zone. Perhaps Forest Hill should have an alcohol exclusion zone.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
loca

20-01-2008 08:40 PM

Looks like Sydenham have a problem with "street drinkers". see link:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.p...698736143b

brian

10-02-2008 04:35 PM

I cannot believe we allow drinking outside. It would be a help in Super markets increased a lot the cost of their rubbish packs of strong alcohol. I though the government were planning to instruct them to NOT sell alcohol as as lost leader.

nevermodern

10-02-2008 05:00 PM

I wasn't aware the govenment were able to fix prices in the way you describe, even if they wished. Although there's certainly a case for massively raising the duty on alcohol to reduce its use. The important thing is whether people drinking on the streets are harassing anyone - and holding a can of beer and looking a bit drunk does not constitute harrassment. Regardless of the type of neighbourhood people may desire, people minding their own business should, in my opinion, be left to do what they please.

baggydave

10-02-2008 05:53 PM

What a wonderfully diverse community we have. Get's more like East Enders everyday (although we could do with a square, and the only true freehouse in the country). Perhaps someone more imaginative than me could start up a thread where we compare the plots in the twenty years of East Enders, with the various issues around SE23 - many of which are discussed on this thread. We could also adopt their names as well. I'd be Keith - incredibly knowledgable and always right. Go on, it would be fun.

BD - What have I become, My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away, In the end

PS that is the second reference to East Enders I have made - the first went unnoticed but I was disappointed that there was not a tirade of outrage from some of the moaning minnies out there!

brian

11-02-2008 08:41 AM

Roz Eastenders surely not howabout Neighbours ( everybody has good neighbours ). Neighbours has only nice people in ( or mostly , but the baddies no their place ) just like SE 23.

I believe you live in Woodcombe Cres if my memory correct. The traffic on that road seems even worse. It is a rat run par excellance. Someone should do something about it

Gep

11-02-2008 10:04 AM

brian wrote:
I cannot believe we allow drinking outside. It would be a help in Super markets increased a lot the cost of their rubbish packs of strong alcohol. I though the government were planning to instruct them to NOT sell alcohol as as lost leader.

What's wrong with drinking outside? Maybe because I'm Italian I don't really see what the problem is if I want to drink a can of beer with my sandwich in the park on a sunny day.

Londondrz

11-02-2008 10:17 AM

Gep wrote:

brian wrote:

What's wrong with drinking outside? Maybe because I'm Italian I don't really see what the problem is if I want to drink a can of beer with my sandwich in the park on a sunny day.

A beer in the park is great. Ten cans of Tennants Super is quite another thing.

Applespider

11-02-2008 12:09 PM

Londondrz wrote:
A beer in the park is great. Ten cans of Tennants Super is quite another thing.

Yes and as such should be able to be handled under laws about being drunk and disorderly. Creating a blanket 'can't drink outdoors' rule for those who do just want to sit in the Horniman Gardens in the summer with a glass of wine and aren't abusing either alcohol or the general public seems harsh and punishes everyone rather than the intended who will likely just go and do what they want anyhow.

Hopman

11-02-2008 10:50 PM

I have to say I agree. On the rare occasions when I find myself drinking al fresco I tend to realise with something of a shock that I need to worry about whether this is a no-drinking area.

I suppose the trouble is that some street drinkers can be perceived (by some) as a nuisance for some quite low-level reasons like talking in raised voices, calling out to strangers, looking scruffy, smelling bad, etc. And if this becomes a persistent issue in a certain area with a number of regular drinkers then people think something needs to be done. But most of the people involved are most of the time not so disorderly that they fall foul of the usual set of offences. So the authorities look for extra powers that they can use to try to break the pattern.

I used to live in Camberwell, which suffered from this as a problem. It improved when they brought in the zone. Though not so much that we wanted to stay there...

Sherwood

12-02-2008 09:24 PM

They threw a can through an open window one day.

baggydave

12-02-2008 11:40 PM

Ah Tenants super - nine out of ten winos can't be wrong.

A true story - in the 80s Scottish Newcastle as was wondered how they could produce a new super strength lager, so they consulted Special Brew drinkers on what they didn't like about their choice of brew (ah Special Brew, such memories, my fave was with Barley Wine, but some nutters drank it with Merryweather cider). The SB drinkers said it was a little sweet, and hence Super was born, and quickly took over that niche market. Another fave is Thunderbird.

BD - I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields