SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Can you not sit somewhere else?
orange

03-01-2012 12:02 PM

What is upsetting to see on buses or trains is to see people praying or reading their prayers book and ignore another person who is looking for a seat. I see often these people on buses, sitting in the front seats designed for elderly and disabled, praying, and never giving up their seats. Unless someone does not offer me a seat, I am terried to ask in case someone starts an argument or a knife out.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

03-01-2012 01:48 PM

I must admit I have not noticed these prayer people. As long as they are silent I do not see any problem, however if they are taking up the prime seats for the elderly or disabled this is hardly very Christian , unless they are disabled.
Best thing to do is ask the driver to enforce , although if they are deeply religious cannot believe they would be violent.
I am more upset by large people taking up 2 seats.

rshdunlop

03-01-2012 02:39 PM

Brian - who said the praying people were Christian?

brian

03-01-2012 02:59 PM

rsh dunlop
Good point. I am assuming the obvious in a nominally christian country but agree they could be another religion.

I assume not Islam as understand they need to face Mecca and this would be difficult on a Bus.

Maybe Sikh or Hindu or even Harry Krishna.

I still have no problem with praying as long as it is done silently. This was not made clear.

shzl400

03-01-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:
I still have no problem with praying as long as it is done silently.

Regrettably, this is so often not the case. Nothing is more likely to make me turn away from the path of righteousness than tuneless hymn-humming on the P4.

brian

03-01-2012 04:53 PM

What religion is this ?
I agree if they make a noise the driver ought to intervene.

orange

03-01-2012 06:17 PM

the problem is not they pray on the buses. They can do what hey like. The problem is that despite they show off a holy mannerism, y praying whatever God they believe in, they actually do not any care about others and some of them rather young, do not offer their seats to elderly people or people who are in need.

brian

04-01-2012 11:46 AM

I agree Orange. Difficult how to enforce it. The poor driver has a none to easy job as it is.
In days past people would be shamed by everyone else to vacate their seats.
As Robt Zimmerman would say the times they are a changing , not for the better.

The Minkey

12-01-2012 01:07 PM

Really annoys me when people sit their kids in the seats reserved for the elderly and disabled then fail to get them to move when someone gets on who obviously needs to be seated. Annoys me too when the driver gets going before someone who's tottery or on crutches gets seated.
The worst thing I've seen was when on a train to NCG, one of a group of lads who'd been intimidating me noticed he had s**t on his trainers and gave them a good wipe on the upholstery.

Sherwood

12-01-2012 03:36 PM

You just position yourself so that you fall on them!

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields