SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Can you not sit somewhere else?
seeformiles

19-05-2011 05:06 PM

And what about the fashion for gigantic shoulder bags? The amount of times I've been hit on the side of the head or in the ribs with those, and on occasions it has hurt. Or someone will clump down next to me on the train (on the occasions I get a seat of course) but doesn't think it might be considerate to remove their enormous and heavy bag from their shoulder first, so you get alternately bashed and squashed for the entire journey.

Sorry to moan, but I live in hope that some of the offenders will read this and be a bit more aware.....but somehow I doubt it!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

19-05-2011 05:30 PM

Ah, now you have got me moaning about back packs. Seriously folks, if the train is crowded then take them off. I tend to hold onto them whilst their owners thrash about bumping everyone around. Think for goodness sake.

hillsideresident

19-05-2011 05:34 PM

Jon: "Bashing, hitting, molesting...talk about drama queens!"

Next time I'm on the P4 I'll stand just behind you, flicking your ear, then. Why would you mind?

It's just courtesy to think of others. Amazing it needs saying.

Applespider

19-05-2011 09:51 PM

My commute has got a lot more pleasant since I bought a bike and started using that.

I get to Victoria more quickly, the journey time is more consistent and I'm in a much better mood when I arrive. Oh yes... and I can eat cake more in the office since I burn it off again... Thumbsup

On occasions where I've got luggage or am meeting pals for drinks, getting on buses/trains again just reminds me how miserable commuting can be.

borderpaul

19-05-2011 09:53 PM

Reading the replies, it is obvious I am not alone and probably the main thing is to calmly but firmly deal with the behaviour.

I forgot to mention that she left her coffee on the tray table of my seat and I just moved it to hers, yes I know I should have drank it and thanked her kindly for it.

roz

19-05-2011 10:24 PM

This reminds me of the time I was in a cafe on my own at a small table when someone on the next table sitting in a large group, turned round and put her dirty plates on mine whilst I was eating.Its was as if I wasn't there. I gathered them up and gave them back to her and her 6 friends. She didn;t really get the message- sounds a bit like that woman on the train.

Thankfully I don't need to commute at present but I remember the problems too well. I was a witness in court some years ago following a pushing and shoving incident on a train which got out of hand and ended up with ripped clothes and bloody noses.

brian

20-05-2011 07:38 AM

I agree with your action here Roz. What a strange thing for the other person to do.

jon14

20-05-2011 09:31 AM

Hillsideresident - to be fair shlz400 said he/she was standing on a bus which led them to occasionally brush somebody's hair with a magazine. If that happened to me, I wouldn't be that bothered and I certainly wouldn't react in the 'rudest possible way'. If the person apologised (which I imagine they would) I wouldn't say a word about it. However, if somebody molested me I might ask them not to.

Sherwood

20-05-2011 12:00 PM

I was on a very crowded bus one day when a woman sitting down complained that my bag was pushing against her. I explained that it was pushing against her because the person behind me was pushing me!
Soon after someone complained to this woman that her umbrella was sticking into him!

Triangle

20-05-2011 02:21 PM

Aaaah - that would be the "Newton Cradle" effect. As you get on board and bump into the passenger nearest the door, the passenger at the far end of the bus/carriage gets knocked over...

roz

20-05-2011 06:41 PM

I've just thrown three teenage boys off the P4. Their choice was a) get off or b) wait in a stationary bus with 50 irritable passengers until the police arrived. They quickly got off and caught the next one.

shzl400

20-05-2011 06:42 PM

jon14 is right - if she'd said something like "excuse me, would you mind your magazine", I don't think I'd have been that upset. But it was the end of a long, hard day, my feet were killing me, and she certainly did not use anything like the aforementioned phraseology.

OK - here's another one for you: free newspapers - leave behind for the next person as a public service, or take home and recycle?

Applespider

20-05-2011 07:08 PM

Depends on a number of factors...

Time: If it's after about 11am, I'd take the Metro with me and recycle. If it's after about 9.30, I'd take the Standard and recycle since I assume it's less likely someone would want one and not have it at that point.

State of the paper: If it's more or less pristine, I'll leave it. If I've done the crossword or if it's obviously had a few readers and is the worse for wear, I'll recycle.

Destination: If I'm heading home/office, then I know where the nearest recycle things are. If I'm going to a meeting/appointment, I may not so might be more likely to leave it.

hillsideresident

20-05-2011 09:31 PM

Sounds like shzl400, jon14 and a friend were thrown off a bus today by an irate woman. Can't say I'm surprised.

dipsolala

21-05-2011 10:38 PM

Finally. FINALLY I can vent my frustration! At last the issue of seat ettiquette has been raised. I've had the handbag thing, i just put it on the floor and sit down. But I'm not that shy.
But the real thing that gets me is, and it is, men, that sit with their legs waaaaaay wide apart. Err, I have legs too, but i don't need to sit with them at quarter to three. Physiology may have a part to play here, but please, they ain't that big and they don't need that much airing. Laugh

Joffe

29-11-2011 10:33 AM

Some woman got on the train at London Bridge to go to Charing Cross today - she had about 20 layers on including a massive snow suit type thing, a scarf and a woolly hat. Wehn she gets in, she climbs over everybody and without saying a word opens two windows.

Seriously, don't these people think about what eveybody else on the train might want? Why don't they take off a layer or two?

Londondrz

29-11-2011 10:53 AM

I tend to get the 9:45 FH to LB train. It's a busy train and by the time it gets to NXG all seats are taken. So why do some people look really suprised when you ask them to remove their bags from the seat and either put it on their laps or in the overhead compartment.

A lady this morning looked at me like I had just farted when I asked her to move her bag.

Maybe I should haveLaugh

michael

29-11-2011 12:15 PM

My imagination is not good enough to work out the cryptic stars above.

Anyway, here's what happens on the Croydon tram:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov...e-arrested

Joffe

29-11-2011 12:29 PM

I thought it was 'farted', (which I don't think is a rude word) but no doubt Londondrz will set the record straight.

Joffe

29-11-2011 12:32 PM

Lol! Apparently it is a rude word as the forum has automatically replaced the word I wrote. Ohmy

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields