SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Tory Wandsworth charging children to play
edd

12-05-2011 11:10 PM

I've been to Battersea Park playground. I really enjoyed it (and so did the kids) Laugh

But, having researched in a little more depth, it seems that what they are intending to charge for is not the playground (which has wooden pirate ships, a couple of big basket swings, slides, climbing circuit and, frankly, is better than anything in FH), but the enclosed area next to it, which has high fences round it, is only open to the public at certain times of day, dependent on school holidays, and contains the sort of giant climbing structures not usually found in a kids' playground at all. The detailed notices on the entrance gates made it clear, afair, that it was regularly used privately by youth clubs.
The kids and I peered wistfully through the {closed} gates last time we were there, but found plenty to do in the large, unfenced playground right next to it. My 3 year old enjoyed the toddlers' area, while my 6 year old like the giant climbing frame and cargo nets. I find no evidence at all that the council are intending to charge for that, only for the other, assault-course adventure area within its high walls.

This article in the grauniad makes it clear, anyway, that the scheme is to be piloted at weekends only, and that "A survey carried out at the playground by the council revealed that half of the children came from neighbouring boroughs.
"Why should Wandsworth taxpayers subsidise children from other boroughs?" a council spokesperson said.
The borough admits it is not expecting to make much money from the scheme and has no income target in mind but says the playground would have to close if it did not introduce the charge."

I would be happy to pay a charge of £2:50 to use it; it looked amazing, like a better version of the wooden climbing frames in The Princess Di Memorial playground. As the article above says, the "adventure area contained zip wires and 40ft structures". I imagine it requires someone on site at all times, as it looked huge, and had a height/age restriction - not your average park playground at all. I feel you have misrepresented the situation, ros. Would you have even mentioned it if it hadn't been a Tory council?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Tory Wandsworth charging children to play - edd - 12-05-2011 11:10 PM