SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Hello
metalmicky

10-05-2011 07:26 PM

New to FH and would like to meet new people, are there any gatherings arranged in the not to distant future?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bcm

10-05-2011 07:49 PM

Welcome to the area! We moved here just under a year ago and have found the area very friendly. Where about in FH are you?

metalmicky

10-05-2011 08:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome, just off Brockley Rise.

john-f

10-05-2011 09:35 PM

If you can wait until July,why not come along to the Blythe Hill Festival?

Saturday 2nd July at Blythe Hill Fields.

Baytree

18-05-2011 12:18 PM

Hi, I am new to the area too. Just moved in this week.
Is there nothing happening locally before the 2nd July??

If not, perhaps a couple of drinks in one of the local bars could be arranged one evening. Would anyone be interested??
If enough people show some interest, I will try and arrange something.

Cellar Door

18-05-2011 12:40 PM

Hey Baytree and metalmicky. Welcome to London's Glittering SE23.

There used to be a group that met on the 23rd of each month at a local restaurant. They were called the 23 Club, I think.

I haven't seen much about them on this forum lately. Does anyone know if they still exist?

I sometimes used to see a local book club meeting in The Dartmouth Arms. I eavesdropped a couple of times and their meetings sounded like a lot of fun. The discussion of books seemed to be low on the list with local chit-chat being higher on the agenda.

The Forest Hill Society have a website. I can't access here from work as it is a banned website. (What have they been doing to get themselves on the banned list at my work?) but from memory they often have listings of groups and various meetings.

Baytree, as for a couple of drinks in one of the local bars one evening...count me in!

michael

18-05-2011 12:46 PM

There are actually quite a lot of events happening locally as part of the Sydenham International Music Festival (many of the events take place in SE23).
Brockley Max starts at the end of this month.

This Sunday is Bali Day at Horniman: http://www.horniman.ac.uk/events/bali.php and there are many other events taking place there, although Forest Hill Day will not take place this year due mainly to the almost complete closure of Horniman Gardens while they spend £1m improving it.

2nd July is not just the Blythe Hill Festival but also Forest Fest at Forest Hill Boys School.

The Forest Hill Society are working on planning for the 2nd Pop-up event for July across Forest Hill town centre.

Further details of events can be found at:
http://www.foresthillsociety.com/p/calendar.html

I'm sure it would still be possible to organise a Forum pub night. They do these regularly on the Sydenham Forum and I don't see why we don't organise one for SE23.com.

michael

18-05-2011 12:49 PM

23 Club sort of fizzled out after we visited almost every good restaurant in SE23 (it took almost 2 years).

Satchers

18-05-2011 01:55 PM

But if there was interest it could be a good idea to have a meet up in a local pub every 23rd? Good for people new to the area and friendly types.....

alisa

18-05-2011 06:58 PM

Monday 23rd. A number of us will be in the All Inn One, next to FH Station, for a planned meeting with venues for the next PopUp. Since some of us are there, why not use this as the venue for a meetup?
Meeting 7.30 - meetup from 8.30?
If anyone says yes here, I'll advertise elsewhere!
A

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
Baytree

19-05-2011 08:07 AM

Looks like a plan is coming together. I can make the 23rd so count me in.

metalmicky

19-05-2011 09:05 PM

Sounds good to us Cool

Cellar Door

23-05-2011 12:17 PM

Excellent. I look forward to meeting other SE23.com Forum Users at the All Inn One for 8:30pm tonight.

To help you recognise me, I will be lurking next to the cellar door wearing a pink carnation in the left lapel of my tweed jacket with a folded copy of the South London Press under my arm. I shall only respond to my cunning code name of…Cellar Door.

michael

23-05-2011 12:37 PM

I'll be there this evening as well.

alisa

23-05-2011 03:57 PM

I'll respond to Alisa, or poppag_girl (eventually, once I've remembered...)

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
Cellar Door

24-05-2011 10:44 AM

It was really lovely to meet up with everyone last night.

I had a great evening. I was a bit nervous so to compensate I generally spent most of my time talking AT people, staggered a little bit when coming back from the bar, spilt a bit of my drink and involuntarily burped rather loudly. Although I think people politely ignored the burp because they pitied me for my spectacular lack of social skills. All in all, a typical evening for me.

Another reason it was great was to put faces to names. Alisa, Baytree, Michael and all the rest of the inaugural SE23.com Forum Meetup Club.

I look forward to doing it again. And when I see you all on the streets of our fine patch of London I will try not to stagger or burp in your general direction.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields