SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Tatoo Removal paid for by us.
brian

10-05-2011 10:27 AM

Could not believe it when I saw people can have free tatoo removal if it stops them getting a job. Why did they not consider that before they made the stupid move.
I agree a major problem getting a job with a visible tatoo. I certainly would not wish to be served in a shop or bank from someone who had one and can certainly appreciate employers reluctance to employ them.

Surely any logic should tell the offenders that a tatoo they like at 21 might not be so nice at 85.

Howabout tatoo parlours having by law to sell insurance policies to cover removal prior to the the job being done.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mgmonkey

10-05-2011 04:07 PM

Did you ever do anything reckless when you were young Brian?

robin orton

10-05-2011 04:50 PM

What's wrong with tatoos? I think they can look quite attractive. I'd have ome myself if my family would let me.

robin orton

10-05-2011 05:01 PM

For 'ome' read 'one.'

robin orton

10-05-2011 09:31 PM

Come to that, for 'tatoos' read 'tattoos'!

Londondrz

11-05-2011 07:03 AM

Nothing against tattoos personally but if you pay to put it on then pay get it taken off.

I did once respond to an old girlfriends query as to wether she should get a tattoo by asking what she thought it would look like on her when she was 70. She didnt get the tattoo.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

11-05-2011 07:50 AM

I'd just be pleased to make it to 70.

brian

11-05-2011 12:10 PM

Someobne said whats wrong with tatoos'.

They are a bit Chavy , what more can you say.

My objection is having to pay for their removal out of public funds

michael

11-05-2011 12:32 PM

Telegraph wrote:
Some reports suggest the National Health Service is now spending around £40 million on tattoo removal treatments.

So why get upset about this 0.04% of NHS spending but not about the cost of the royal wedding, the Pope's visit, the referendum, or the cost of aircraft carriers that we don't need and can't afford not to buy?

Some people will always attack any money spent on the royal family, others the Pope, others democracy, others war, and others will attack any money being spent on people on benefits - 'Chavs', even if that money helps them get off benefits faster so that they can be net contributors to the economy as soon as possible.

spud

11-05-2011 01:22 PM

Now here's a thought: if somebody had a facial tattoo would it be better or worse for them to conceal it by means of a veil?

(Everybody stand back. I think Brian's head might be about to explode.)

Cellar Door

11-05-2011 01:23 PM

Brian, fair enough.

Although, as a paying member helping to deposit into the great tax bucket I would rather have Mr. Tattoo become a functioning economic tax unit depositing into the bucket as well. Rather than withdrawing from it. Just like Michael said above.

Actually, I’d be evaluating with a cold accounting eye to see if it was value for money.

I understand the specifics to this story, that was picked up by The Telegraph, are only in exceptional circumstances when it is the final barrier to take up a specific job offer. Slow news day for The Telegraph? Although I think Michael’s The Telegraph NHS quote is a different story arc from this Jobseeker’s story arc that you’ve mentioned in your original post.

I’m disheartened, though, that you have taken somewhat against the tattoo. Some cultures that I have lived in have beautiful ones. I’ve seen some lovely examples of face work done in the tribes of the Western Pacific. Notably, the facial tattoos of the Maori. (I’ve seen them done on Western faces and they never quite work as well though.)

I understand that tattoos were a common practice amongst Christians, especially for their children, in Europe for hundreds of years to protect them against the conversion to Islam when various invasions were happening.

My family has a whole raft of sailors in it including a Captain of the Royal Australian Navy. There was a long tradition of them getting tattoos done especially when they parked their battleships in Singapore harbour for a bit of R&R. They were beautiful to behold. My Uncle (The Captain) had a lovely sea siren wrapping herself around the HMAS Canberra. Arr, me hearties, I’m sure there is also a seafaring tattoo tradition in these Isles.

I work for a large company (over 200,000 employees worldwide) and have interviewed many candidates for roles and I have never considered a tattoo as something to interfere with performing their role. In fact, even though I don’t have a tattoo myself I find myself gravitating towards those that do and are proud to display it at an interview as someone that potentially has higher self-esteem and confidence.

I noticed at the recent Royal Wedding that the Prime Minister’s wife, Samantha Cameron, has a fetching tattoo on her ankle. I like her a little bit more now.

michael

11-05-2011 01:52 PM

I think SamCam should get the tattoo removed so that it does not cause offence to the likes of Brian when she is representing the UK around the world. Surely this would be a good use of public money?
Similarly the England football team should not be allowed on the pitch with tattoos. This country shouldn't be represented by people who look like rejects from a bank interview. Isn't that right Brian?

brian

11-05-2011 02:12 PM

Everyone entitled to their views in our United Kingdom . I take on board what has been said. No pun intented but historically in this country tatoos' were for people with a nautical persuasion.

My original suggestion was that the so called parlours should be licensed and only permitted to carry out proceedure if the people have taken out insurance to cover cost of removal if required.

I accept I might be in a minority who would not wished to be served by people with visible tatoos' , but surely that is also our entitlement and many I speak to agree with me.

Surely people can buy stick on tatoos' which do not leave a stain on the body.

Londondrz

11-05-2011 02:19 PM

I think the point is if you cant afford to have it removed then dont have it in the first place.

It's a bit like someone on benefits claiming they dont get enough money so they cant afford to buy their fags. Well dont smoke then.

rshdunlop

11-05-2011 03:11 PM

I saw a piece on the news about this when tattoo removal became available on the NHS. They showed two cases. One was a woman who was forcibly tattooed after being gang-raped. She is not the only victim of this sort of crime.

The other was a man who was coerced into a criminal gang when he was younger and was tattooed to show his allegiance. The only way he could get out of the gang culture was to have the tattoo removed as it marked him out to rival gangs. It also prevented him getting a job.

Cellar Door

11-05-2011 04:03 PM

Hi rshdunlop,

Those are both horrid experiences for both those people and many others I imagine.

What this reminds me of is that either/or thinking around this issue, like so many other things in life, doesn't quite fit if you want to explore something with insight. It might work just to keep things simple. And helps newspapers, like The Telegraph amongst others, to write simple, easy to understand news articles but it washes out the complexity that is human nature.

Baboonery

11-05-2011 04:38 PM

Don't come and bother us with actual facts, Cellar Door, tell us about the Chavs and Scroungers!!! That's all we care about on se23.com!

nork1

11-05-2011 05:20 PM

I can't see the problem with funding this. OK, so someone's got a tattoo - as previous posters have said it may have been done through force, coercion or sheer stupidity and immaturity. The person may have moved on and now wants to get a job and contribute to society. Would you rather punish them for a mistake and condemn them to a life of thieving and/or claiming benefits because they're unemployable? How much is that going to cost over their lifetime?

Cellar Door

11-05-2011 05:23 PM

Hey Baboonery,

I'm very glad to see you posting a bit more this year. You seemed to be absent for a bit late last year/early this year.

Anyway, your advice to nottinghillbilly over on the Help Finding a GP-Please! thread to move if it is their only option has had me chuckling to myself, at my desk, causing colleagues to question what I’m doing. My work doesn’t generally have people chuckling.

Tattoos are marvellous. I loved the Nightcrawler’s exchange with Storm in X-men 2 about his tattoos:

Storm: [gentling touching Nightcrawler's tattoos] So... What are they?
Nightcrawler: They're angelic symbols, passed on to mankind by the archangel Gabriel.
Storm: They're beautiful. How many do you have?
Nightcrawler: One for every sin. So quite a few.

And I loved the use of tattoos in the movie Memento to help Guy Pearce’s character Leonard resolve the mystery of the murder of his wife.

After I came out of the cinema from seeing Memento at Leicester Square, I thought for one giddy moment I’d head up to Camden and start the series of FACT tattoos down my arm. I’m a bit of a weakling in terms of arm size and pain threshold so they’d have to be small facts.

Oops, sorry, more facts.

Cellar Door

11-05-2011 05:28 PM

nork1 wrote:
The person may have moved on and now wants to get a job and contribute to society. Would you rather punish them for a mistake and condemn them to a life of thieving and/or claiming benefits because they're unemployable? How much is that going to cost over their lifetime?

Agreed. Brilliant assessment.

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields