SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
juvenile delinquent
anonymousme

09-05-2011 04:50 PM

I'm posting this from a throw-away account because my real account can be tracked to my real home.

Anyway, here's the story.

I live in FOH and my house sits next to an intersection. Just a few houses down, on the other side of the intersection, lives a kid (at least 16, possibly a little older) with his father (never seen the mother). The kid is a real juvenile delinquent and his behaviour is upsetting (as if I were 70+ and dreaming of the old days when kids were innocent, even though I'm in early 30's and know that we were never that innocent). I'll elaborate on why I'm upset.

It all started with him and some friends kicking a football in the street. This must have been boring so they began to deliberately try to kick it at the windows of my home and others on the terrace. Not very smart for a kid that lives just a few doors down. We've seen him get into fights and buy drugs. No big deal as he's clearly not a drug lord, but these activities in particular aren't good for the other children of the neighbourhood.

So last night I'm laying in bed watching TV on the laptop and I hear some arguing. As it's obviously a confrontation I get up and have a look. Sure enough it's the neighbour kid and his friend hassling a passer-by, who's not too happy at their aggressive comments. Instead of breaking into a fight the passer-by calls the cops and the two kids take off (but still trying to act like king of the hill).

The question I have is should I inform the police of what I know? No violence took place so I doubt the police are very interested, but should this kid get into more violent activity something could go very wrong. It'd be nice if his parents were concerned, but my wife assures me that the father doesn't seem bothered.

Or am I just old before my time and need to go back to knitting scarves for my yet to be born grandchildren?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

09-05-2011 05:08 PM

If the incident was reported to the police I would recommend providing them with any information they may not already have. They can decide how to proceed and possibly a quiet word from the cops will have a positive effect for the young man involved.

Cellar Door

09-05-2011 05:25 PM

Hello anonymousme.

Your story is upsetting. I feel for you, your wife and your neighbours. I am pleased that you are very philosophical around this and are approaching it from a positive, helpful point of view. You are just the sort of neighbour I’d like to have around.

I support Michael’s recommendation above. I’m sure other thoughtful forum users will provide more thinking around this. Particularly those that have been in similar circumstances. I look forward to hearing about the general situation around this young man and his mates improving in the near future.

roz

09-05-2011 11:13 PM

I agree however you might find that they know of him already.

I do know of a young bloke fitting this description around the Honor Oak Road area who sometimes upsets people around here. He has what you might call special educational needs. However I appreciate that there might be others fitting that description.

You are being very positive but its not unknown for things like this person does to get out of hand and for someone to get really hurt so I wouldn't think twice about notifying the cops.

Londondrz

10-05-2011 08:19 AM

If no-one speaks out how will the police know?

A call in confidence to the police would be good, the chances are the person being hasstled last night now has a crime log but it will be dropped as it's their word against the yob. You coming forward as a witness will change that.

Stand up to louts and be heard!!!!!!

anonymousme

10-05-2011 10:38 AM

Good to hear the positive feedback.

I've gone ahead and reported it to the Met Police and they think they found the incident and have taken my statement. It'd be nice if the police were able to follow up on this very minor incident, but I'm sure they have more pressing matters. Anyway, I'm not bothered. I've done what I could and that's good enough for me.

Cheers!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields