SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Woodvale Estate
Susita

08-05-2011 07:08 PM

Hello, Does anyone have any experience of the Woodvale housing estate in terms of safety, antisocial behaviour and so on? I'm looking to move there but a little concerned as - no offence intended - it looks a bit tatty / not very well cared for. Any comments will be enlightening as this area is new to me. Thank you very much.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Susita

09-05-2011 04:13 PM

I posted this query about a council estate on Wood Vale because I'm thinking of moving there... it's curious that my message has been read over 100 times yet no one has responded... maybe nobody on this forum who has read my question knows about this estate, or did I word the query badly? I see discussion of gentrification and delinquent behaviour and feeling threatened in a neighbourhood and house prices and so on are all valid topics, so I'm wondering how come there's no feedback about the estate? I'd be very grateful to have your observations if you live nearby... Thanks v much.

michael

09-05-2011 04:21 PM

The woodvale estate is on the edge of SE23, so I expect few people have personal experience of the estate.
I have delivered leaflets around there on a few occasions and it has always seemed quiet and relatively well maintained.
Often a lack of information is the best news you can hope for when asking such questions.
What I would say is go round there on a Friday night around 11pm, and see for yourself, then you can't blame an anonymous poster on an internet forum for something that you would have to live with possibly for years.

Applespider

09-05-2011 07:32 PM

I live at the other end of Wood Vale - where there's a smaller estate - so read the thread in case it was that one. I'm afraid I don't know much about the one at the far end of the road.

The 363/N63 buses stop right outside it although with the cemetery across the road, it can feel a little spooky in the dark.

There's a small parade of shops just along from the estate where there is a very good butcher's shop.

Jane_D

09-05-2011 07:54 PM

I used to live five minutes' walk from there a few years ago, and was never particularly aware of the estate, which as Michael said, counts as good news rather than the opposite. The only thing we had a problem with locally was with car vandalism; we had two cars written off nearby, probably by joy riders, maybe because the area was very quiet at night.

I read your thread because I thought you might be saying something about the estate; maybe some other people did the same.

rbmartin

09-05-2011 08:07 PM

As the estate is on the border with SE22, you may want to post a message on the East Dulwich Forum who have users in the local vicinity.

Susita

09-05-2011 08:31 PM

I do agree that a lack of information is often the best... no news is good news etc; Good advice to visit at different hours of the day and your impressions when leafleting are valuable, so thank you. Not in my nature to blame others for giving me wrong advice so don't worry... I shall regard any views given here simply as more information but will ultimately, make the decision myself. thanks for responding :-)

Susita

09-05-2011 08:33 PM

Yes, I saw the parade and the butchers, (run by someone and daughters,) and that's a good sign. The cemetery lends a calming feel by day, but I appreciate it could change its ambiance at night. Think a nocturnal visit is needed! Thanks for posting.

Susita

09-05-2011 08:37 PM

The car vandalism point is valid because it's an indicator of attitude to other people's property so thanks for that, and also for the comment about reason for reading... I should probably have been more explicit about asking advice in the title of the posting. All comments appreciated so thanks.

CBRoad

10-05-2011 08:29 AM

My flat backs onto the estate and I often walk through the grounds late at night to get home. As far as estates goes it is a “nice” one. As with anywhere at night, it can feel a bit spooky but I have never seen anything horrible going on. I often see for sale signs so assume that many of the flats are now privately owned. The only antisocial behavior I have witnessed is loud (and awful) music being played from speakers placed on the balcony but it was always during daylight hours and I have not heard it for a long time so assume the tenants have moved on. In the summer there are always loads of kids running around and playing (in my opinion a good thing but might be a nightmare for others) and the small play area is always occupied.

The flats seem to be well maintained and I regularly see Lewisham vans parked in and around the estate. Fly tipping seems to be an issue (full of nooks and crannies) but it always seems to be cleared up quickly.

I would recommend that you have a walk around as well as visiting at various hours. There are walkways and footpaths behind the estate, you might see something that you don’t like or you might be pleasantly surprised.

Hope that helps

Susita

10-05-2011 05:01 PM

Thanks CBRoad, that's really useful.... getting feedback is never an exact science but you seem to have lived close to the estate for enough time to have formed an opinion and it's good to know you are confident about cutting through the estate and that you have never witnessed any trouble. Anecdotal evidence is invaluable and I do appreciate your remarks. Thanks for responding.

Dee Woffaz

11-05-2011 02:57 PM

Hi,
I live on Wood Vale further down the road however. I have often walked past going to the railway station in HOP. I have never noticed anything that has made me quicken my step. As you mentioned it does look a little run down, maybe its next to be smartened up like the Dog Kennel Hill flats...?
I dont find the cemetry spooky at all but that is a personal thing. The little row of shops are a godsend, the 'sell everything shop' doesnt close untill 2330 which is great for an emergency bottle of wine after a harrowing late day at work.
I can guarantee there are worse places. Good luck.

Les

14-05-2011 09:20 PM

I live just round the corner in Westwood Park - it looks fine to me, and the parade of shops on Wood Vale is a godsend - good butcher (pricey but excellent - I got my Xmas turkey from there and will not go anywhere else - I look forward to turkey now!), paper shop and general stores.

The cemetary looks a bit spooky at night (the trend for having various LED and oil lamps on graves I find quite odd), but its beautiful during the day being on the Green Chain walk from Nunhead to Crystal Palace. Its also got an overgrown wild section which is great for kids and nature lovers as well as having a perfectly maintained WWI grave of a Victoria Cross holder.

My only caveat is that when I checked the crime stats on http://www.police.uk/ there was a cluster on Langton Rise, largely I think because few properties overlook it, so car crime is common. Worth having a look at the website.

Overall its a great area with lots of amenities.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields