SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Help Finding a GP-Please!
nottinghillbilly

05-05-2011 10:42 PM

My partner and I have moved into the Taymount rise area of Forest Hill
and due to both having medical conditions which require longterm ongoing
medication we urgently need a local GP. I read reviews of all the surgeries and all the ones with the best ratings say we are not in their catchment area...we are now at our wits endCrying
Can ANYONE please inform us how we find a GP who will take us on?
We really need a good reliable doctor-please advise as we love the area
but this is a nightmare.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

06-05-2011 06:51 AM

You need to register with Well Park Practice. Nobody else will take you.
It is a good practice, but is a long walk round. If only there were a shortcut...

michael

06-05-2011 06:53 AM

Sorry, should be Wells Park Practice.
http://www.wellsparkpractice.co.uk/how_d...ctice.html

roz

06-05-2011 07:32 AM

Just while you're doing that, your old GP should still be able to prescribe medication for you- they can fax it to any pharmacy you choose.
Good luck. We've been with the same GP for a long time but they tried to offload us when we moved a few streets away but we fought back and won as there were no vacancies at any other local surgery at that time and we were offered somewhere in Peckham by the PCT. I was also at that time having ongoing medical investigations for something and did not feel it was a good time to be forced to change GPs.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

06-05-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:
It is a good practice, but is a long walk round. If only there were a shortcut...

I'm sure your neighbour will be happy for you to scoot through their garden and over the wall. The doctor can check out any injuries you suffer in the process.

Given what I know of the health of the residents of Taymount Rise and its off-shoots I think we could probably justify our own surgery/hospital.

borderpaul

06-05-2011 01:11 PM

Once you have made the long trek to the doctor and been seen, you can have a chocolate eclair or apple turnover from the new Kirkdale Village french bakery to fuel your return and you won't feel guilty because you haven't taken any shortcuts.

Satchers

06-05-2011 01:22 PM

Wells Park Practice is definitely the only one that took people from Taymout Rise when we moved here 5 years ago.

Doctors/nurses very good. Appointments system (even the new one) infuriating unless you have nothing better to do with your days!

So good luck

Satchers

06-05-2011 01:26 PM

And you can get the bus there (356) from the bottom of Taymount Rise/London Road. Check the direction though as it's the opposite way from the general London road buses I.e. You get it heading west towards the horniman and it stops almost opposite the surgery.

nottinghillbilly

06-05-2011 08:52 PM

Dear All,
Thank-you so muchThumbsup This forum is amazing and a superb advert for the helpfulness and humour of the residents of SE23.
So relieved that its a good practise even if it is a trek.
and yes....I may well stop for tea and cake on the way home!

ps.....I wish I could change my username to Foresthillbilly now but sadly that ones been taken!

ukulele_lady

07-05-2011 06:08 PM

I'm on Taymount Rise and had exactly the same problem finding a GP. I went with Wells park but have had trouble getting an appointment with them... It seems to be pre booked appointments (which end up being weeks away) or a phone consultation with a doctor.
Taymount Rise can also join Lordship Lane surgery (near Dulwich Library) and I believe you can book same day appointments there.
Smile

nottinghillbilly

07-05-2011 06:56 PM

Thank-you for that advice, We shall look into the Lordship lane surgery also. I really cant bear the idea of waiting weeks for an appointment.

The Grange Gem

07-05-2011 10:13 PM

The Vale surgery is very good. Its at the eastern end of Perry Vale. The senior doctor is Dr Israel. Or you can look up GPs in Forest Hill via Google.

Satchers

07-05-2011 11:17 PM

The appointments system at Wells Park is pre booked appointments or a phone consultation with a doctor where they will book you in for an appointment with a doctor that day if they think you need to be seen, or I presume if that is what you say is needed. The problem before this system is that everyone was just saying everything was 'urgent' to get a same day appointment, even if its not. The idea was to turn some non urgent appointments onto pre-booked ones.

nottinghillbilly

10-05-2011 10:33 PM

Lordship lane don't accept patients from our postcode, so will try the Perry Vale one, and if not its back to Wells Park.Sad

Satchers

11-05-2011 09:51 AM

Some of my Taymount Rise neighbours are registered to the one in Forest Hill Road? I don't know if they will take you?

Baboonery

11-05-2011 11:36 AM

I bet the Sydenham station surgery will take you. They'll take anyone. They're the only one who'd take me (live on the 'Boots' row of shops) when I moved in. If it's an option, I'd advise against it. If it's your only option, I'd move.

The Grange Gem

11-05-2011 05:11 PM

NottingHill
Try the one in Perry vale a 356 & 75 bus stop right outside the door. For an appointment on any weekday alls you need do is get there by 8.30am just before they open and reception will book you an appointment for that day.

Dont go to the one opposite Sydenham station I know they are very poor

seeformiles

11-05-2011 07:16 PM

Odd that I was only offered the Vale Medical Centre and I live in the Taymount Rise area. I'd certainly prefer one nearer but that was my only option back in 2001.
I've nothing against the Vale mind, but it's not that convenient to get to.

charles941

17-06-2011 09:48 AM

This is terrible.I recollect years ago being made aware of a Sunderland GP termination and he went to Australia. I dont know if the road has any GP in it again of late. Seems rough on folk generally if they are facing a changing GP map again.

nottinghillbilly

17-06-2011 06:35 PM

I'm actually still registered with my old GP in West London for now because it really does appear that the only practise that 'may' take us is the one In Wells Park, My partner has temporarily given up trying to get an SE23 GP for now and is also still registered with his old GP North of the river-for now we are still receiving our repeat perscriptions from these GP's and when I recently developed a severe allergy I went to the walk-in centre near work. I know that we will HAVE to cave in and join a local practise but the poor reviews on Wells Park really bother me, as had I not had a fantastic GP where I was living before I may not have been here now.
Forest Hill is great but the lack of GP's available for residents in my area sucksThumbdown

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields