SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Having a baby in the area
Deanos

08-02-2008 08:52 AM

Jane2, if your telephone persona is anything like your web forum persona, I'm pretty confident that it wasn't you that we spoke to!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

08-02-2008 05:49 PM

Deanos wrote:
Jane2, if your telephone persona is anything like your web forum persona, I'm pretty confident that it wasn't you that we spoke to!

It probably wasn't ! As a local NCT member and new mother in Jane's area I can say that Jane pulls out all the stops to help people and is a fab organiser, which from talking to other mothers isnt always replicated in other areas largely because its all voluntarily run by local mums and sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day - so we are really lucky in Forest Hill as there is a lot on. I had my baby in June last year and since then we've had something on almost every day.

There are also lots of other things to do locally including Monke y Music, Caterpillar Music, Baby Salsa in East Dulwich, and Powerpramming in Dulwich Park and Ladywell Fields. The Ackroyd Centre in Ackroyd Road also has drop ins for parents and young children. As you are having your baby in April this gives you lots of opportunities to get out and about in the Horniman and Dulwich Park this summer. The cafe in Dulwich Park is also a popular meeting place.

Good luck with the birth

As for being a full time mum, its a nice concept and great if you have the choice and dosh, but personally I think a balanced work/home life is more ideal and better for parents and baby....

Jane2

08-02-2008 06:28 PM

Oh I'm blushing now! Blush

baggydave

10-02-2008 05:46 PM

I thought this was an oddly titled thread as we did have a baby in Forest Hill, in our dining room to be precise. Nor sure whether I would recommend it as it is of course more risky that a hospital birth (despite any trendy arguments to the opposite) and ours was a rather spurious reason in that we did not like the look of Kings (one of the best antenatal hospitals in the country). We had less of a problem with Lewisham as it was nice and new and shiny (another shallow reason) at the time, and as we were squating in Blythe Hill at the time (renting a room, not that different from a squat) we had the twin benefits of the advantage of a walk back from the maternity ward, and similarly down to wet the baby's head in the Blythe. Well on the latter the father did anyway (and numerous other places)

I am sure that most places are 'fine' to have a baby in, as that in itself opens a lot of doors. I hear from one dad how nice it is to be recognised (well at least the baby) when you go to the Dartmouth Arms on a lunch time day off. No doubt lots of already good advice on NCT (take with a pinch of salt, "its all about choices, as long as you follow the ones we give you") and generally think that mum's have a better community life if they stay primarily at home with the offspring.

Now if BD had his choice he's move to an even posher place than Horniman Heights. He was stunned by the young attractive mothers on a visit to Golders Park (off Hampstead Heath) a few years ago with his offspring.

BD - Welcome to my world

PS - if you haven't guessed they were all central European nannies, not young mothers, but it took a time for the penny to drop

BD, now where was I?

The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

shirley

11-03-2009 06:55 PM

I have just read your posting (from last year I think) about nct classes in forest Hill. Does any sort of group exist for current expectant mums? I have just started classes in West Dulwich but would love to hear about anything going on in forest Hill.

Jane2

12-03-2009 11:41 AM

Shirley

No, I'm afraid there isn't a specific NCT group for expectant mums - we tend to find that most expectant mums tend to be working until the last few weeks, so we haven't had a great call for it. Although you are of course welcome to come along to any of our open houses - quite a few of them are for 'bumps and babies' so you may meet other expectant mums. (If you are an NCT member you'll receive details of all of our events in our quarterly newsletter).

I have a list of some pregnancy activities in Forest Hill area, if you email me on foresthillnctrep@googlemail.com I can send it to you.

Also, once you've had your baby do get in touch as we run new mums coffee mornings.

Good luck with everything!

Jane2

13-05-2009 09:30 AM

Hi there

I just wanted to give details of the new web-page for Forest Hill NCT with more information about what we do, and also lists of local activities for those with babies and young children. New members are very welcome, (you do need to join the NCT first), any questions please do get in touch.

www.nct.org.uk/in-your-area/lewisham/localcontacts/foresthill

Cheers!
Jane

Forest Hill NCT Area Rep

Jane2

13-05-2009 09:35 AM

Sorry, I should also have said in my post above that non-members are welcome at all our events.

Also that - contrary to what some people think of the NCT - we are all very friendly, normal people honest!

Miss H

07-02-2010 08:16 PM

Hi
I know I am replying to a very old post, but have just read through and found it very helpful!
I am new to the forum, and new to pregnancy -have recently found out I am expecting!
I have started researching into baby care in se23 and would love to have the low down - please! I understand I need to register at a nursery very soon to secure a place for early next year,
Any tips, info welcome.
Thank you

MrsR

08-02-2010 10:50 PM

Congratulations Miss H!

I'm in the same boat, currently looking into childcare in SE23 so I can't advise based on experience. I have been checking ratings on Ofsted - http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxcare_providers/list/ it may not be the best info to make a judgement on but I'd feel uncomfortable using any nursery without a 1 or 2 rating. Some mixed feedback on this forum - http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/nurseries/76...orest-Hill but it's enough for me to have struck Pitta Patta off my list. A list which is pretty small - not all nurseries take in babies.

From this thread I've also looked into NCT - there seems to be a lot of activities in the Forest Hill area for new mums so feeling quiet good about options when the bump becomes a baby.

good luck
Mrs R

Miss H

12-02-2010 09:42 AM

Hi Mrs R
Thank you for the useful links, I will certainly investigate further. I Have also got as far as dismissing Pittapatter of our list!!
I am also thinking of joining the local NCT group, sounds great!
Good Luck x

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields