SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Manor Mount - Abuse of One-Way System
baggydave

05-02-2008 10:39 PM

Hammering down the hill ignoring the one way upper part of the road - a subject of many postings in the past. Think there may occasionally be police snatch squads, but no permanent solution. Honor Oak Road going down to the lights wasn't even particularly busy, suggesting the vehicles doing it today are regulars (small builder's van LY07EBL and Japanese saloon P303LOL, within a minute of each other).

I wouldn't normally clock their numbers as usually I am walking in the middle of the road to see what they do, oddly enough I had a pen and paper to hand today. I don't see any legal issues with actually recording their registration plates here. I assume on a single reporting the cops would not take action, but please tell me otherwise.

I'll get round to e-mailing the mad libs some time. I assume that action wont be done until someone is run over, not that I am volunteering of course although perhaps some of you would happily push me under.

Alternatively if the authorities don't want to enforce it then make it two way.

BD - twitching net curtains or what?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

06-02-2008 09:13 AM

baggydave wrote:
Hammering down the hill ignoring the one way upper part of the road - a subject of many postings in the past. Think there may occasionally be police snatch squads, but no permanent solution. Honor Oak Road going down to the lights wasn't even particularly busy, suggesting the vehicles doing it today are regulars (small builder's van LY07EBL and Japanese saloon P303LOL, within a minute of each other).

I wouldn't normally clock their numbers as usually I am walking in the middle of the road to see what they do, oddly enough I had a pen and paper to hand today. I don't see any legal issues with actually recording their registration plates here. I assume on a single reporting the cops would not take action, but please tell me otherwise.

I'll get round to e-mailing the mad libs some time. I assume that action wont be done until someone is run over, not that I am volunteering of course although perhaps some of you would happily push me under.

Alternatively if the authorities don't want to enforce it then make it two way.

BD - twitching net curtains or what?

What irritates me about this is that last week whilst riding up Manor Mount a young guy in a green Saxo was coming down the hill. This pi**ed me off so I stopped him. He had a go until I pointed out he was going the wrong way down a one way street.

His response, "I didnt know that, I always go down this way as I live there" pointing to a house half way up Manor Mount.

FFS, even the locals are at it!!!Cursing

robwinton

06-02-2008 09:25 AM

but surely it isn't one way except for the entrance at the top?? I only use the road for access to the car park, but certainly that is what I believed.

Wouldn't it make sense to add one of those one-way-only ramps used in car parks to stop cars turning down the road at the top?

Londondrz

06-02-2008 09:38 AM

robwinton wrote:
but surely it isn't one way except for the entrance at the top?? I only use the road for access to the car park, but certainly that is what I believed.

Wouldn't it make sense to add one of those one-way-only ramps used in car parks to stop cars turning down the road at the top?

It is one way from The Fieldings onwards. You can turn left down the hill from the Fieldings but no further up. It is clearly signposted at the top and all the way down.

I caught a black cab coming down there last year who basically told me to f off when I had a go at him. Took his number and reported him to the Hackney Carriage office who told me he had probebly "made an honest mistake", as if 4 no entry signs and writing on the road are hard to miss.

roz

06-02-2008 08:18 PM

I also experienced this on Monday evening when coming back from Sainsburys- there was a white builders van parked on the left and this pulled out without signalling and nearly crashed into my car. Perhaps the same one? I think its good to name and shame, maybe there is a more official way of doing it? Are there any such websites?

We have had so many promises about policing this stretch of road and nothing transpires. Similarly, the delivery trucks servicing the Hob regularly turn onto Davids Road from the Sth Circ and park up facing the wrong way, so no shame there apparently.

Londondrz

07-02-2008 08:28 AM

roz wrote:
I also experienced this on Monday evening when coming back from Sainsburys- there was a white builders van parked on the left and this pulled out without signalling and nearly crashed into my car. Perhaps the same one? I think its good to name and shame, maybe there is a more official way of doing it? Are there any such websites?

We have had so many promises about policing this stretch of road and nothing transpires. Similarly, the delivery trucks servicing the Hob regularly turn onto Davids Road from the Sth Circ and park up facing the wrong way, so no shame there apparently.

Ah Roz, you see you missed it. It was a white van, they dont have to adhere to the laws of the road like you or I.

TSRG

07-02-2008 09:18 PM

I'm lost - could someone draw me a map of this?!

baggydave

14-02-2008 07:05 PM

Now I am getting really angry/obsessed (dear readers, I will leave this choice to you).

I only occasionally walk up Manor Mount at rush hour, as usually you find me shouting at the traffic from my two wheels, all over Southwark.

Yet another two vehicles - blue four wheel mpv thingy Y97NHD, whilst writing down the number the 'gent' driving must have thought that I winked at him, as he shouted something to that effect.

Then a large yellow and green 'Express Delivery' van, unfortunately did not get the number of else would have been onto the company.

This got me thinking, now if I walk for five minutes up this road, and this is representative of the evening rush (two) hours, that is on a 200 day working year, 10,000 illegal acts a year. Which compares with the reported 10,741 people who were caught on the Stansted Road bus lane in 2005 (as per FOI request from yours truly).

Now BD isn't going to get all Daily Mail on you and start moaning about bus lane cameras (even though this one is in the wrong place and catches drivers who are simply moving lanes a little early to turn left into Brockley Rise). But on the Stansted Road driving 10 yards in the bus lane is generally not going to threaten life and limb, as opposed to 45 mph down a one way street in the wrong direction.

Discuss.

(bus lane cameras are of course about bigger picture stuff, and according to the FOI are having an impact, well at least where they are used, more wise words another time)

BD - Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear

Londondrz

14-02-2008 08:30 PM

BD, being someone who likes to stand up for things, would you like to meet me on said road one evening at 5pm, you can write down the reg numbers as I remonstrate with the drivers.

Londondrz

Walk tall and carry a big stick!

Sherwood

14-02-2008 08:34 PM

Why don't you ask the community safety officers or police to join you?

roz

14-02-2008 09:06 PM

All those cars queuing to get out of Davids Road onto the South Circular in the rush hour arent coming from Sainsburys - most of them are likely to be Manor Mount offenders. I have however watched as police watched similar offences without doing anything.
This does need a concerted approach, perhaps the Forest Hill Society could get involved in a formal way, as could local councillors?

brian

15-02-2008 08:17 AM

If Police want to Ignore this flagrant act of law breaking not sure what we can do. Even taking photos would not probably be accepted by Court of Law.
We need a plain clothed officer at MM for some time. I am sure they would prefer that rather than filling in mountains of forms because the had the stupid idea of asking a suspicious looking member of the public what they were doing

vipes

15-02-2008 10:06 AM

I'll fess up. I've done it 3 or 4 times. I suspect a few other people on this forum have too. I have driven slowly on these occasions in case that soothes your ire. It does wind me up when I see people hack it down.

Those lights let 4-5 cars through from HOR to the South Circ to put people off using the Ladywell/Honour Oak route to circumvent the South Circular. Hence the long queues - and not just at rush hour. One of the councillors told me as much. An unwanted consequence (environmentalism aside) is that people in the manor on the hill wanting to pop to Sainsbury's have to join the queuing masses. What can I say. Temptation's got the better of me. A better solution is to just make it 2 way.

gingernuts

15-02-2008 10:34 AM

vipes wrote:
I'll fess up. I've done it 3 or 4 times. I suspect a few other people on this forum have too. I have driven slowly on these occasions in case that soothes your ire. It does wind me up when I see people hack it down.

Those lights let 4-5 cars through from HOR to the South Circ to put people off using the Ladywell/Honour Oak route to circumvent the South Circular. Hence the long queues - and not just at rush hour. One of the councillors told me as much. An unwanted consequence (environmentalism aside) is that people in the manor on the hill wanting to pop to Sainsbury's have to join the queuing masses. What can I say. Temptation's got the better of me. A better solution is to just make it 2 way.

and what's wrong with walking to Sainsbury's? Sounds like it's a much quicker option, more environmentally friendly, cheaper and healthier!

Londondrz

15-02-2008 10:44 AM

vipes wrote:

Vipes, I dont wish to get all sanctamonious on you as lets face it we all break the law in some way i.e. doing 34 in a 30 zone etc but a no entry sign on a one way street is just asking for trouble. You knock someone down or crash whilst going the wrong way down a one way street and they will throw the book at you.

vipes

15-02-2008 10:50 AM

gingernuts wrote:
and what's wrong with walking to Sainsbury's? Sounds like it's a much quicker option, more environmentally friendly, cheaper and healthier!

Assuming this is not a wind up, how do you carry a boot full of shopping and a toddler on foot?

gingernuts

15-02-2008 10:53 AM

Also you should remember that people crossing may not expect anyone coming down that road. I find it particularly selfish and dangerous when people do this - I DONT CARE WHERE YOU LIVE!!!

gingernuts

15-02-2008 10:56 AM

vipes wrote:
Assuming this is not a wind up, how do you carry a boot full of shopping and a toddler on foot?

I assume you have a buggy? then Push it. Back pack? two separate visits? Come on it's not rocket science!

Londondrz

15-02-2008 11:22 AM

Thanks for reminding me, need to put petrol in the 4 liter Jag for my daily shop at Sainsbury's.

vipes

15-02-2008 11:26 AM

I accept all you say but for the back pack and two separate visits. (Side-long glance). I'm not defending my behaviour just letting you into my criminal mind.

Pages (8): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  mashed up suv manor mount/davids road manor mountie 2 3,082 15-03-2021 10:33 AM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Disturbance in Manor Mount manor mountie 0 3,064 14-02-2019 01:38 PM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Manor Mount closed for resurfacing hillview 0 3,411 12-07-2017 06:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Manor Mount one-way system alimc 123 95,470 05-12-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: edpaff
  Manor Mount - police enforcing one-way admin 4 7,065 06-06-2016 09:12 PM
Last Post: Devonish Forester
  Water leak on Manor Mount netty 41 44,895 15-01-2016 11:27 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Planning Application: 1 Manor Mount Mrjamon 50 56,245 14-12-2015 10:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Manor Mount closed Londondrz 7 9,834 29-01-2015 07:58 PM
Last Post: jenros
  Does anyone know the Kiddles of Manor Mount? christgill 0 3,875 16-12-2014 04:55 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Church signage on Manor Mount usamagpie 65 65,184 12-06-2014 12:48 PM
Last Post: BarCar
  Bizzare accident on Honor Oak Road by Manor Mount Londondrz 7 10,570 13-12-2011 08:08 PM
Last Post: roz
  Old photos of Manor Mount docsmith 0 4,283 14-01-2011 12:05 PM
Last Post: docsmith