SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Manor Mount - Abuse of One-Way System
roz

12-06-2009 03:59 PM

The making of MM into a one way street was cursed by many of us at the time as it put pressure onto other roads. Ewelme and Woodcombe fast became rat runs as a result. The reasoning will probably lie with the Council and no doubt there is a logical answer somewhere. Having it reappraised as part of an overall area traffic management strategy is perhaps not out of the question and may prove to be part of the solution. Personally I think its time for such an area appraisal as traffic volume, flow and issues arising have changed quite a bit since the last one.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hasto

12-06-2009 03:59 PM

I think you might find a large number of the 'large houses' are in fact converted into flats.

Living in one of the flats at the top of the hill, the number of motorists who ignore the one way system is simply staggering.....

roz

12-06-2009 04:00 PM

Hasto, if you want to PM me with details I can take it along to the meeting with the Council officers.

gingernuts

12-06-2009 04:04 PM

It's interesting isnt it? The fact that so many people abuse this one way system suggests it's a road that is needed. Rather than arguing for cameras, perhaps you should be campaigning for it to be reinstated as a two way steet! MM is not an exceptionally narrow road and should be able to cater for both parked cars and traffic. Traffic slowing measures and those painted dotted lines on pavements for parking (if that's not already in place) should do the trick.

hasto

12-06-2009 04:10 PM

I think the top of Manor Mount near the turning is exceptionally narrow and would need widening (not sure how) to safely have cars going both ways.

gingernuts

12-06-2009 04:18 PM

It was made narrow as part of the one way process. It never used to be thus. Council men can put this right. It will probably be cheaper than installaing and maintaining a CCTV camera, which will not be revenue generating as this will act as a deterrent to wrong doers(according to some!).

hasto

12-06-2009 04:21 PM

Interesting, thanks gingernuts, its been a one way street since I've been living on Manor Mount. Think we all agree that something needs to be done!!

brian

12-06-2009 04:43 PM

It was made one way , as far as I am aware , to stop the rat run which was from HOR to London Rd via MM. The vast majority of users were I think not local.
Cannot believe some think the council should review just because of illegal activity by some. Surely the answer is for The Police to apprehend the offenders.

gingernuts

12-06-2009 04:47 PM

Brian,
That's just too easy!Laugh

roz

12-06-2009 05:30 PM

If people want this reviewed then you should be making representation to the Council however it can as I understand it only be done in the context of an area traffic management plan as there will be knock on effects somewhere else. As far as I am concerned, as long as its a one way street, then I will be pressing for more realistic and successful enforcement methods as fed up with having to run the gauntlet of aggressive drivers coming down the wrong way on such a regular basis.

shzl400

12-06-2009 07:56 PM

I have it! The way to stop people making the illegal turn off Honor Oak Road into Manor Mount is simple. Make the phase of the traffic lights turning out of Honor Oak Road onto Lordship Lane longer than just two milliseconds, thereby eliminating the huge queue up the hill and, at a stroke, the temptation to illegally run down Manor Mount. That's the real root cause of the problem that should be tackled, rather than the symptoms.

It would be so simple. However, I bet TfL would never agree to it, as it might eff up their precious red route, leaving the council, who is responsible for the back roads, to deal with the consequences.

brian

13-06-2009 06:42 PM

Also the council could errect a big sign before MM turning pointing out it is a no entry and against the law of the land.
They possibly could try and claim they did not see the current sign.

Dan on the Hill

17-06-2009 11:24 AM

"I have it! The way to stop people making the illegal turn off Honor Oak Road into Manor Mount is simple. Make the phase of the traffic lights turning out of Honor Oak Road onto Lordship Lane longer than just two milliseconds, thereby eliminating the huge queue up the hill and, at a stroke, the temptation to illegally run down Manor Mount. That's the real root cause of the problem that should be tackled, rather than the symptoms. "

Bravo! Absolutely right.

I use that road a lot as I live just up the hill from there, you can have 30 cars or more backed up, and sometimes you get 1 or 2 cars getting away from the lights. At the very best 4/5 cars, but that's pushing it.

Also because whenever it is busy the junction gets blocked so someone turning right will just sit at a green light (all 2 seconds of it) not going anywhere waiting for it to clear. Intensely frustrating if you want to turn left. Traffic off that hill is insane at the moment, so I cannot blame anyone who chooses to ignore that completely pointless one way road.

Too bad if that upsets some saddo who has nothing better to do than rush around scribbling down number plates getting all morally superior in defence of a bad bit of road planning.

Dan on the Hill

17-06-2009 11:35 AM

"Gingernuts, if you have been threatened by someone coming the wrong way down Manor Mount and still feel the same way about a camera then good on you. I rather suspect you have not. I have, so has Roz and so I believe has Baggy Dave."

Well stop being busy bodies sticking your nose in peoples business then. The road planning there is awful, people are not out to murder small children or run over old ladies or whatever other mental contortions you have gone through to justify your crusade.

"I am fed up with people who abuse the rules of the road because it saves them 30 seconds on their journey. Every time I have come across someone coming down the road the wrong way I have blocked their passage with my car or motorcycle and have made them reverse. Not so easy to do at the moment for me but I will continue to do so."

If it was 30 seconds I would agree with you. But its not is it, its more like 15 minutes when its busy. As for your direct action its suddenly clear why your getting threatened. It won't be long no doubt until you meet someone with the same attitude about direct action. No doubt your cast yourself as the innocent victim then.

roz

17-06-2009 01:41 PM

Whether the perceived inconvenience of the lights or lousy road planning is 30 seconds or 15 minutes, it doesn't justify drivers taking their frustrations out on innocent members of the public nor does it justify flouting the rules of the road in a manner likely to threaten or present danger to others. Boring as the Highway Code may be it is there for a reason which is primarily so that drivers can correctly anticipate what other drivers will do and act accordingly. There are other more constructive ways and means of getting the Council to at least look at rescheduling the traffic light phasing.

Londondrz

17-06-2009 02:29 PM

Dan on the Hill, my wife uses that road every night of the week on her way back from work. She has never been tempted to turn down the one way system the wrong way becuase her delay is at worst 5 minutes.

Like it or not going down a one way street the wrong way IS AGAINST THE LAW!!!

Just becuase I take a stand doesnt make me a busy body it makes me someone who cares about upholding the law.

You can choose to ignore it after all, that is your choice.

What next, let's not worry about mugging because it is just redistribution of wealth?

gingernuts

17-06-2009 02:45 PM

This is just getting silly. How is mugging ever justified? Obviously traffic calming measures can be reviewed and changed, but mugging????.Scared

Londondrz

17-06-2009 03:05 PM

My point is that both are against the law, mugging may be a silly example but the more people we allow to get away with bending the law the further the law will be bent. Someone who is not afraid of flouting a traffic law is usually someone who is happy to forget to tax and insure their car. I seem to remember ther were in the region of 1.5 million people who drove in the UK who did not tax and insure their cars. Get hit by one of these people and they are unlikely to hang around to look after you.

An example:

No jail for uninsured hit-and-run driver
By Visordown News
Lincolnshire driver escapes prison after leaving biker seriously injured then torching his car to hide evidence

A MALE DRIVER who seriously injured a motorcyclist in a road collision, before fleeing the scene then setting fire to his car to hide the evidence, has escaped a prison sentence.
Earlier this week, Lincoln Magistrates' Court heard how Kerry Miles Pick, 25, ran a red light in Broadgate, Lincoln, before colliding with the biker. Realising the seriousness of his actions, Pick then fled the scene before deliberately torching his car.

The motorcyclist, whose name has yet to be released by Police, sustained a broken knee, ankle and arm.

In court, Pick pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention, no insurance, no MOT test certificate and failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

But Magistrates chose not to hand down a custodial sentence as Pick had entered an early guilty plea. Instead he'll get a high level community order.

billham

17-06-2009 03:12 PM

Maybe what we should do is move the Big Issue sellers from Sainsbury's to the narrow bit at the top of Manor Mount.

Wouldn't solve either problem but think of the length of the thread we would have! Rofl

But I know this is a serious issue. As others have suggested, I think the real solution is increasing the light phasing at the junction with the South Circ. It seems sometimes this is so short that if the person at the front is a little slow away only 1 or 2 cars get round. The situation is not helped by dozy pedestrians who seem unable to work out that the lights are about to change - it's not really rocket science, if the main road has gone to red Honor Oak Road is about to go to green. I accept that there is a strong argument for pedestrian lights there given the proximity to the museum, but of course that would make things worse.... Confused

brian

17-06-2009 03:19 PM

Pedestrian lights here are very much needed. This is a very dangerous crossing and very busy especially at weekends coming to and from the museum.
Up to 2 years ago when I drove I agree the wait could be a long time but accept at 6am ish I found alternative routes or walked or took bus or train.
These lights possibly on purpose are to discourage local journeys.
I agree with penultimate post the law here should be obeyed , choosing which laws to observe is the thin end of the wedge.

Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  mashed up suv manor mount/davids road manor mountie 2 3,190 15-03-2021 11:33 AM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Disturbance in Manor Mount manor mountie 0 3,128 14-02-2019 02:38 PM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Manor Mount closed for resurfacing hillview 0 3,466 12-07-2017 07:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Manor Mount one-way system alimc 123 97,371 05-12-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: edpaff
  Manor Mount - police enforcing one-way admin 4 7,197 06-06-2016 10:12 PM
Last Post: Devonish Forester
  Water leak on Manor Mount netty 41 45,630 15-01-2016 12:27 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Planning Application: 1 Manor Mount Mrjamon 50 57,347 14-12-2015 11:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Manor Mount closed Londondrz 7 10,013 29-01-2015 08:58 PM
Last Post: jenros
  Does anyone know the Kiddles of Manor Mount? christgill 0 3,941 16-12-2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Church signage on Manor Mount usamagpie 65 66,191 12-06-2014 01:48 PM
Last Post: BarCar
  Bizzare accident on Honor Oak Road by Manor Mount Londondrz 7 10,713 13-12-2011 09:08 PM
Last Post: roz
  Old photos of Manor Mount docsmith 0 4,350 14-01-2011 01:05 PM
Last Post: docsmith