SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Manor Mount - Abuse of One-Way System
michael

15-02-2008 11:27 AM

Vipes,

I am sure that the lights on HOR / London Road now let more cars through than they used to, so it is less of a wait than it used to be. It is now possible for more than 8 cars to get round in the time the lights give you.

But there can be no excuse for driving down Manor Mount, however slowly you go. Once one person allows themselves to do it on special occasions, it invites everybody to do the same. Unlike speeding (where the government should admit that cars can drive safely at 80mph on motorways) jumping lights, going the wrong way down roads, or sending text messages when driving are dangerous to you and to everybody around you.

I don't blame you for driving to Sainsburys, and if you do it for your weekly shop I don't think there is anything wrong with this. You might want to consider getting the shopping delivered, I find this a very useful way to avoid walking up the hill with bags of shopping too heavy to carry.

I admire your courage for admitting to your deviant behaviour (going down Manor Mount that is) but would urge you, and others on the forum who doubtless do the same, to stop it. Think of all the effort driving to Sainsburys saves you in not walking up the hill, then consider waiting for an extra 2 minutes for the lights to change so you can obey the law. Even without driving illegally you can still be happy that you have saved yourself a significant amount of effort at little cost to your own time.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vipes

15-02-2008 12:27 PM

michael wrote:
Vipes,

I am sure that the lights on HOR / London Road now let more cars through than they used to, so it is less of a wait than it used to be. It is now possible for more than 8 cars to get round in the time the lights give you.

But there can be no excuse for driving down Manor Mount, however slowly you go. Once one person allows themselves to do it on special occasions, it invites everybody to do the same. Unlike speeding (where the government should admit that cars can drive safely at 80mph on motorways) jumping lights, going the wrong way down roads, or sending text messages when driving are dangerous to you and to everybody around you.

I don't blame you for driving to Sainsburys, and if you do it for your weekly shop I don't think there is anything wrong with this. You might want to consider getting the shopping delivered, I find this a very useful way to avoid walking up the hill with bags of shopping too heavy to carry.

I admire your courage for admitting to your deviant behaviour (going down Manor Mount that is) but would urge you, and others on the forum who doubtless do the same, to stop it. Think of all the effort driving to Sainsburys saves you in not walking up the hill, then consider waiting for an extra 2 minutes for the lights to change so you can obey the law. Even without driving illegally you can still be happy that you have saved yourself a significant amount of effort at little cost to your own time.

Thank you for some non-kneejerked consideration. You can be reassured that I have no immediate plans to do a naughty down Manor Mount and to be honest, haven't done so for the 2-3 years since our little one came along. Changing priorities and all that. I'm not known for my delinquency though, and nor I suspect are many of those who drive illegally down Manor Mount. The need is surely to reinstate 2 way traffic more than shouting at cars.

Not sure I agree about the green light duration. I timed it at 6 seconds last week.

bigjulie

15-02-2008 12:38 PM

If they reinstate 2 way traffic then the traffic queue moves to David's Road. Problem not solved - traffic will be queuing up in a back street rather than on the south circular. Probably the reason for one way system in the first place.

gingernuts

15-02-2008 12:50 PM

vipes wrote:
Thank you for some non-kneejerked consideration.

This suggests you feel other comments on this issue are knee-jerked?

Quite honestly people are so fed up with cars going the wrong way down Manor Mount that I doubt responses on this forum are knee jerked. Regardless of the law, it is a dangerous thing to do and takes only a few minutes to wait at the lights. Walking is an option, as is using a taxi to get you boot load of shopping home.

I'm glad you no longer do it.

brian

15-02-2008 01:35 PM

How did our Edwardian and Victorian ancestors manage to carry their shopping home. Surely this is no excuse. If you need to use your car then queue at the lights like everybody else.
What is the penalty ? Is it 3 points and a fine.? Does anybody know

gingernuts

15-02-2008 01:40 PM

I would imagine a pale of milk would have been a quite a thing to carry up Manor Mount!

brian

15-02-2008 01:56 PM

We do still have Milk Rounds in Forest Hill if required. I cannot except that this is an excuse for going the wrong way down a one way street just because you disagree with the law.
I am sure we all have views about certain laws but cannot pick and choose which ones we like and which one we will break.

baggydave

15-02-2008 10:27 PM

Londondrz wrote:
BD, being someone who likes to stand up for things, would you like to meet me on said road one evening at 5pm, you can write down the reg numbers as I remonstrate with the drivers.

Londondrz

Walk tall and carry a big stick!

First of all some impressive debate, glad I got something going.

Secondly what can be done? I've resorted to taking down numbers, in the past I just stood in their path on the expectation (which they did) that they would drive round me. Most of the time with some abuse. I believe when they do have a rozza down there they pick up quite a few drivers. But I doubt if the authorities will do much with my one (maybe two man) army thing. I suspect that the Forest Hill Society picks up much of its intelligence from this site.

I'll contact the councillors, and Jim Dowd. Let's see what FHS can come up with.

If it is time to confess then BD has on the odd occasion freewheeled down MM. He once did it on a motor bike years ago, thinking he was on the push bike and got a right earful from a local resident (and me, on the side of the angels?). I expect some razor wire next time I am down there. Of course I don't, but that is what Tony Parsons advocated in an article in a scummy tabloid.

Londondrz

16-02-2008 09:36 AM

Being ex army I have some experience of Claymore Mines, a radical approach but one that will get our cause noticed. We will of course have to face the consiquences of blowing the **** out of an errant white van but hey ho!

This post in in jest before any of you start to worry.

bowwow1964

16-02-2008 10:02 PM

I can remember when you could drive down that road then for some reason they did make it one way and put lights at the junction which as said earlier take forever to change then let 2 or 3 cars out at a time b4 turning red again for 5 minutes dont sound long 5 minutes but it is when sometime i have seen a line of car 20 to 30 in length now i wonder how many of u who live on that road would be moaning about how long it take u to get round the couner to turn left to get to your road as for walking to supermarket b4 u start with the attacks about walking maybe that person is disabled and unable to walk so chill out on the attacks ok i this case they wasn't but how would u have felt if they had been mr/mrs i never break the law

bowwow1964

16-02-2008 10:09 PM

Oh and just for the record i never drive that way as i live in woodvale so just drive to the end turn left and get though them light quicker to go shopping oh and baggydave i have read you on here for a while now so i would ask u to stop standing taking peoples numbers as one day god forbid someone will tak offence with it and will maybe run u over or attack you. stay safe man there are some mad bloody people in this world and more seem to be moving around here and its not a safe thing to do eve if it makes you mad like it would me if i lived there.

brian

17-02-2008 10:28 AM

Some people on the site seem to be condoning breaking the law because they do not agree with it.
I may not agree with the law re stealing from other houses , does that give me a legitimate right to do what I think is right.
Of course I am not suggesting disabled people walk.
I do not live in Manor Mt so does not directly affect me but I do think we should comply with the law.

bowwow1964

17-02-2008 11:37 AM

OH i Agree totally that no matter who you are you should not break the law what i ment was before people get all snotty about things and come across with smart a***d ideas maybe they should think about things before they do. after all thjeres really no need to attack eachother on here enough rubbish going on in the world without local comunitys attacking eachother what ever way its done and if youthink about it she was a brave person to bne honest she had done it in first place. I think personally instead of moaning at her we should get the council to do something to stop the problam like how about making the road un-excesable from the top so everyone cant go up or down it at all

Perryman

17-02-2008 05:16 PM

I think the one-way system should be removed....

The problem is not that local traffic could use Manor mt as access to the Sainsbury' car park, but that through traffic would use it as a rat run (with Davids Rd) to totally by-pass the forest Hill 'High Street'.

I agree that Manor Mt is a residential road and should not be abused this way, but Honor Oak Rd should not be carrying through traffic either - not only is it also a residential road but it has a school and it is very narrow in places.

Putting proper speed bumps on Honor Oak Rd was a missed opportunity, and they should have make it a 15-20mph zone too.

With the traffic in this area correctly reduced to just speed restricted local traffic, the Manor Mt one-system would no longer be required.

Londondrz

17-02-2008 07:37 PM

Waldenshaw Road which leads onto Manor Mount is also a residential road with a primary school half way down it's length. It is also a rat run for people coming down the London road allowing them to miss the lights at the station. As a result you get heavy traffic on a small road with a small minority of people seeing how fast they can get to traveling down it's length.

Adding Manor Mount to the mix will just make the problem worst.

gingernuts

18-02-2008 10:40 AM

bowwow1964 wrote:
OH i Agree totally that no matter who you are you should not break the law what i ment was before people get all snotty about things and come across with smart ***** ideas maybe they should think about things before they do. after all thjeres really no need to attack eachother on here enough rubbish going on in the world without local comunitys attacking eachother what ever way its done and if youthink about it she was a brave person to bne honest she had done it in first place. I think personally instead of moaning at her we should get the council to do something to stop the problam like how about making the road un-excesable from the top so everyone cant go up or down it at all

Ohmy The 'suggestion' was to walk rather than wait at the lights, in particular where you live locally and where driving causes frustration. No one mentioned people with disabilities or that driving was in anyway 'bad'. Although without question walking is good for you and there is a taxi service at sainburys for heavy loads. It is an opinon and not necessarily directed at any individual, although if you post a controversial statement on a website that has passionate members you should not be surprised to see strong opinion in response.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

18-02-2008 11:05 AM

bowwow1964 wrote:
...if youthink about it she was a brave person to bne honest she had done it in first place.

Time for a haircut Vipes?

vipes

18-02-2008 12:48 PM

gingernuts wrote:

vipes wrote:
Thank you for some non-kneejerked consideration.

This suggests you feel other comments on this issue are knee-jerked?

Quite honestly people are so fed up with cars going the wrong way down Manor Mount that I doubt responses on this forum are knee jerked. Regardless of the law, it is a dangerous thing to do and takes only a few minutes to wait at the lights. Walking is an option, as is using a taxi to get you boot load of shopping home.

I'm glad you no longer do it.

Knee-jerked? Never. Not on this forum. No way. I won't hear of it. In fact, if anyone gives an unconsidered response then string 'em up.

Sanctimonious? Well...

IWereAbsolutelyFuming wrote:

bowwow1964 wrote:
...if youthink about it she was a brave person to bne honest she had done it in first place.

Time for a haircut Vipes?

Actually, there's something I've long been meaning to tell you IWereAbsolutelyFuming.

michael

21-02-2008 09:14 AM

I thought that it would be impossible to get a camera to enforce the no entry in to Manor Mount, but I remembered this morning that there is a camera in Catford stopping people turning right into Wickes (see http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.p...1974c7e26d)
If they can have that there then why can't we have a camera preventing left turns into Manor Mount (and a nice no left turn sign on Honor Oak Road would be a gentle reminder).

brian

21-02-2008 12:18 PM

Yes Michael grand idea

Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  mashed up suv manor mount/davids road manor mountie 2 3,077 15-03-2021 10:33 AM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Disturbance in Manor Mount manor mountie 0 3,061 14-02-2019 01:38 PM
Last Post: manor mountie
  Manor Mount closed for resurfacing hillview 0 3,410 12-07-2017 06:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Manor Mount one-way system alimc 123 95,435 05-12-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: edpaff
  Manor Mount - police enforcing one-way admin 4 7,064 06-06-2016 09:12 PM
Last Post: Devonish Forester
  Water leak on Manor Mount netty 41 44,892 15-01-2016 11:27 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Planning Application: 1 Manor Mount Mrjamon 50 56,233 14-12-2015 10:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Manor Mount closed Londondrz 7 9,833 29-01-2015 07:58 PM
Last Post: jenros
  Does anyone know the Kiddles of Manor Mount? christgill 0 3,875 16-12-2014 04:55 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Church signage on Manor Mount usamagpie 65 65,143 12-06-2014 12:48 PM
Last Post: BarCar
  Bizzare accident on Honor Oak Road by Manor Mount Londondrz 7 10,560 13-12-2011 08:08 PM
Last Post: roz
  Old photos of Manor Mount docsmith 0 4,281 14-01-2011 12:05 PM
Last Post: docsmith