SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Congratulations to France.
robin orton

14-04-2011 05:08 PM

I believe Muslims are far more sensitive to any sort of physical insult to the Qu'ran than Christians would be in the case of the Bible. As a Christian, I should be sad if someone felt it appropriate publicly to burn a copy of the Bible, but I wouldn't feel the same sense of outrage and desecration which a Muslim would feel in the case of the Qu'ran.

Also, I doubt whether a Muslim would want to call a veil a 'face mask.'

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

14-04-2011 05:12 PM

Sorry, should have made it clear my last posting was in respone to Brian.

jon14

14-04-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:
Because homosexuality is innate and can't be changed whereas Christian doctrine is simply a view.

No-ones discriminating against a view. Just when the view impinges on people who have no choice but to be who they are.

Substitute homosexual for black and the argument is absolutely clear.

Interesting view. What evidence is there for it? Surely the fact that some people do change refutes any argument that sexual orientation is innate and can't be changed? Or else nobody would be able to change?

robin orton

14-04-2011 05:37 PM

'nevermodern' said:

Quote:

I don't think 'homosexual' and 'black' are absolutely interchangeable in this context. It is clearly wrong to discriminate against people for what they are. The traditional Christian teaching is not that gay people should be discriminated against for what they are (homosexually orientated) but that homosexual acts are wrong.

As I've said before, I have difficulties with this position, although I am a Christian. It implies that people with a homosexual orientation are. through no fault of their own, barred from giving sexual expression to a loving relationship with another person, which seems cruel. Jon thinks the answer is to try to change people's orientation. But I doubt whether that is possible in more than a very few cases, and, even if it is, I find the idea rather distasteful.

jon14

14-04-2011 05:45 PM

Robin Orton wrote:
Quote:
I don't think 'homosexual' and 'black' are absolutely interchangeable in this context. It is clearly wrong to discriminate against people for what they are. The traditional Christian teaching is not that gay people should be discriminated against for what they are (homosexually orientated) but that homosexual acts are wrong.

As I've said before, I have difficulties with this position, although I am a Christian. It implies that people with a homosexual orientation are. through no fault of their own, barred from giving sexual expression to a loving relationship with another person, which seems cruel. Jon thinks the answer is to try to change people's orientation. But I doubt whether that is possible in more than a very few cases, and, even if it is, I find the idea rather distasteful.

I didn't actually say that Robin - just stating that there are people who have changed their sexuality (both ways) - and not just people who say 'they found their true self', but people who say they changed from one to the other. If we could substitute homosexual for black, the argument is absolutely clear, but I don't think we can.

nevermodern

14-04-2011 05:50 PM

No evidence apart from almost everyone who knows anything's views, including gay people themselves, who clearly cannot be trusted to answer honestly about the innateness of their sexuality.

Don't tell me. It's a worldwide conspiracy to hush up the truth (like the 'everything being designed by God' thing).

Oh, I'm not gonna get into this.

In another hour it'll be time for a glass of wine and American Idol.

robin orton

14-04-2011 05:58 PM

'Nevermodern' said:

Quote:
In another hour it'll be time for a glass of wine and American Idol.

Enjoy!

Baboonery

15-04-2011 09:42 AM

Yet again, the religious person asks for evidence for everyone else's views but his own.

jon14

16-04-2011 02:44 PM

If only that were true Baboonery, you might have a point.

squashst

16-04-2011 08:15 PM

With reflection to the earlier posts:

I note an earlier post states that that sexuality has changed "both ways" (gay to straight and straight to gay?). I'm not sure of the proportions here who are changing - 1%, 5%, 10%, or even 50%). But whatever the proportion is -innateness and change is not mutually exclusive!?

And what does "change" mean. A realisation (cf the late George Melly) that after a period of indulgence with one gender that you prefer the other gender (or perhaps both). Or pyschological counselling; or chemical treatment? Electric shock treatment?

Cellar Door

27-04-2011 01:48 PM

I heard on the BBC Worldservice the other day that in 2001 the BBC's John Simpson slipped into Afghanistan wearing a burqa. Click this link.

John Simpson in Afghanistan

John Simpson preparing to slip into Afghanistan

What an inventive use of the burqa. And one that is probably widely used by various security services and others, I imagine.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields