SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Avert a disaster for children’s access to primary music
roz

07-04-2011 05:50 PM

I think this will be a disaster if it means that children won't get access to even the most basic of recorder lessons, or be able to sit listening to classical music in lessons. My own primary school was extremely basic with a lot of very poor children in bad housing. We were still taught recorder when we were about 7/8. We played in school concerts ( badly I know) along to a teacher playing the piano but it was educational from the perspective of teamwork, learning to focus and practice, and just to experience the joy of making and listening to music, something all children love to do.
We often sat in class being played classical pieces with the teacher asking us to shut our eyes and imagine what was happening.
I can't believe therefore that music can be so off the agenda. Whoever gave MP's that power to decide?
It is so short sighted. I do accept that sometimes you can't fit everything in to a short school day but do hope that some innovative teachers decide otherwise with some music lessons in the lunch hour or provided as after school events, even if its for a low cost.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Avert a disaster for children’s access to primary music - roz - 07-04-2011 05:50 PM