SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Avert a disaster for children’s access to primary music
Tim Lund

07-04-2011 02:56 PM

Michael

Good questions. I agree that sending my children to independent schools doesn't support the National Curriculum, but nor does it oppose it. My position, I guess, is that if we are to have an exhaustive National Curriculum, it should include music, but I'd prefer a less exhaustive one - and if we did have one, it might have saved me and others a fair bit of money, and resulted in greater social cohesion.

Re ICT vs. music - that raises a whole bunch of other questions around the problem what what exactly should be taught under ICT is difficult to specify, because the subject changes so fast. I did once do some voluntary work in this area, and encountered the ECDL - European Computer Driving Licence - whose contents felt to me as if they had been dictated by Microsoft to give the impression that theirs was the only way to do things. Music, by contrast, has a long, well established tradition of education, of which it will be sad to lose any more. Talk to singing teachers about how the sol-fa system has been lost. It is hard to appreciate it if you're not at least a bit familiar with the area.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Avert a disaster for children’s access to primary music - Tim Lund - 07-04-2011 02:56 PM