SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Avert a disaster for children’s access to primary music
michael

07-04-2011 11:52 AM

I don't know about the rights and wrongs of inclusion in the national curriculum, I had thought that teachers wanted more flexibility rather than ridgid guidance for all subjects, but maybe things have moved on in the last 10 years.

But the poll and the report of the findings are rather simplistic. Here are the details from TES http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6075441

Quote:
The subject [music] was the least popular when MPs were asked to choose up to five, from a list of nine, that should be included alongside a core of maths, English and science.

I don't know if the consultation means that the four least popular will be dropped (I think an AV system would be fairer for such a decision), but it is worth looking at the list:
PE, art and design, citizenship, design and technology, geography, history, ICT, modern foreign languages, music

PE is going to be compulsory anyway, so I'm not sure why that would be included. I hope that most MPs put in their top five - history, ICT, modern foreign languages. That's three of them covered - two more to go, and remember one of those will be PE and I hope most MPs would know that. So you have a choice of your final option:
art and design, citizenship, design and technology, geography, music
I would probably pick geography as the only other compulsory option for the national curriculum, but perhaps music is more important than knowing that East Anglia is not actually a foreign country.

Oh well, I just hope that music teaching has improved since I went to school, when three pupils per electric keyboard for an hour was regarded as a lesson.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Avert a disaster for children’s access to primary music - michael - 07-04-2011 11:52 AM