SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Forest Hill in Bloom
alisa

06-04-2011 08:15 PM

This year, for the first time, the Forest Hill Society has entered the London in Bloom "Its your neighbourhood" section. In this initial year the Society decided to concentrate on a small but highly visible central area of Forest Hill - the station forecourt. Lewisham's Nature's Gym will be digging out the weeds and elderly shrubs on Saturday April 9th, but on Saturday 16th April at 2.30pm, Society members will be joined by other volunteers to replant the very neglected areas at the front of the station to create a "woodland" theme beneath the existing trees and fill other squares with blocks of low-maintenance, attractive and aromatic lavenders.

If Forest Hill-ers would like to help out on the day, please come along with a trowel and gardening gloves.

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sharon

07-04-2011 11:40 AM

well done thats sounds great ,its a shame we cant have hanging baskets along the london road this year again ,i know its a T.F.L problem because i wrote to lewisham last year and they said it was because of the road been run by T.F.L Thumbdown

dipsolala

07-04-2011 09:26 PM

great stuff!

There is so much potential in Forest Hill to really make it bloom for everyone. I'm hoping I can come along that day and do some blooming with everyone else.

blushingsnail

15-04-2011 12:29 PM

Bumping this up because it's happening tomorrow. From 2.30pm come along and help plant up the areas under the trees outside Forest Hill station.

dipsolala

15-04-2011 08:00 PM

Went to the station today and saw the beds had been completely cleared with lovely fresh compost waiting to be dug in with all the lovely plants and flowers. The huge Geranium pots have been refreshed in vibrant red.

Sad I can't make it due to family stuff, but enjoy peeps, weather looking good Thumbup

one

16-04-2011 07:52 PM

Well done guys. We should ask London Overground to install litter bins right outside the station. The area around the two huge flower pots and in front of the ticket machine is constantly flooded with litter (unwanted ticket receipts, cash machine receipts, [/align]newspaper, coffee cups, red bull cans etc.).

Les

20-04-2011 10:24 AM

The station forecourt now looks better than it has ever done in the 14 years I have been in Forest Hill. Well done everyone who contributed - it makes a real difference.

valleydweller

20-04-2011 11:23 AM

Seeing jolly bright red geraniums peeking out of the tubs in the station forecourt makes me smile. Well done to you,planters of Forest Hill!

Cellar Door

20-04-2011 12:44 PM

It is beautiful.

In 15 years of living in The Hill I had never noticed that there are three distinctive beautiful trees out the front of the station. I was vaguely aware there were trees. Now, after this lovely replanting the trees appear to be more visible and a real feature of the station forecourt. A fitting welcome to Forest Hill.

Thank you everyone who organised this and those that got down and dirty to produce such a great result.

rbmartin

20-04-2011 10:12 PM

Did the FHS volunteers also add those lovely geraniums in the new plant boxes on Platform 1 and 2?

michael

21-04-2011 07:42 AM

Some of those responsible were rounded up and shot (with a camera of course Laugh) you can see some photos on http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2011/04...bloom.html

Geraniums were indeed planted by them and look great on the platforms.

There is still a chance to get involved as I understand that voulenteers would be welcomed to help with a watering rota, at least until the flowers and plants are fully established. If you would like details please send me an email michael@foresthillsociety.com and I will put you in touch with some of the watering team.

rbmartin

21-04-2011 09:18 AM

Thanks. FH station hasn't looked so good in years!

michael

21-04-2011 09:42 AM

Apparently a few of the plants were uprooted and dumped in the litter bins last night. Most are now back in position but if you do see any damage please let us know or pop the plants back in the beds.

There's no point making a big fuss about silly acts of minor vandalism by people who are not used to living somewhere so green and pleasant. Especially if the silent majority of people are willing to stop and pop plants back in place, then the watering team will make sure they are properly cared for.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

21-04-2011 10:05 AM

I watched a bloke do something similar to flowers that had been recently planted to the front of King's Garth on London Road. He pulled up a load of the plants and went and dumped them into a bush. It was broad daylight but he wasn't really someone it would have been worth confronting.

one

21-04-2011 01:41 PM

I'm surprised that they actually bother to dump it in the litter bin. Apparently some people find it very difficult to put something that they dont want into the litter bins.

I'm fed up with constant litter in front of the station and have sent an email to London Overground to ask whether they want to put bin right in front of the station. I will see what happens.

quetta

28-04-2011 02:20 PM

Good to hear such appreciative responses to the planting up of the station forecourt and the platform troughs.

But could I make a big plea for help with watering, please. In this hot weather, even if the predicted slight shower comes this evening, the new plants really need to be watered every day until their roots are established.

The minicab office at the side of the station is holding the FH Society watering cans and the tap is next to their office. If everyone passing through the station were to distribute a couple of cans across the central bed it would make a huge difference to survival prospects.

Thanks.

michael

09-10-2011 09:38 AM

Many people have admired the lovely flowers on and around Forest Hill station. We are now looking for a few volunteers to help planting blubs for the spring. Join us on Sunday 30th October from 2:30pm.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

michael

11-12-2011 02:38 PM

The Forest Hill Society entry in London in Bloom was judged to be 'thriving' (second highest category and just a few points short of 'outstanding' the highest category). A very pleasing score for the first year we have entered the competition.

More details at http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2011/12...award.html

michael

27-04-2012 09:51 AM

Sorry for the late notice on here, but I know when people wanted to help out previously with the planting around the station. We really do need a few more people to join us this weekend as some of the regulars are away. So please consider if you can spend a hour or two planting this weekend, and enjoy the results for months to come.

Saturday, 28 April 2pm - 4pm Honor Oak Planting Honor Oak Park Station
Join us as we start this year's "In Bloom" effort with planting at Honor Oak Park Station. All you need is a little enthusiasm - we have four planters to plant and may try to clear the weeds by the bins too. Beginners welcome. If you cannot make it on the day, please contact email@foresthillsociety.com to get involved with the watering and nurturing of the plants.

Sunday, 29 April 2:30pm - 4pm Forest Hill Planting Forest Hill Station
Come along and build on last year's success. We only have two new planters to plant as two have been damaged in storage, but we need to tend to the existing beds as well. Beginners welcome - all you need is a little enthusiasm. If you cannot make it on the day, please contact email@foresthillsociety.com to get involved with the watering and nurturing of the plants.

michael

01-05-2012 01:58 PM

Forest Hill now has two additional planters close to Barclays Bank, thanks to the work of the members of the Society who braved the nasty weather this weekend. (Honor Oak planters mentioned on a separate thread).

There are a couple more planters to come to Forest Hill town centre to help improve the look of the heart of the town centre.

If you want more information why not stop by and talk to the plants by Barclays or around the station. They are always glad to have a bit of a chat.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields