SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Dog mess
showtunesgirl

26-02-2008 12:17 PM

Has anyone else noticed the amount of dog poo around Honor Oak recently? I've lived in the area for 9 years and it's never been lie this. There seems to be so much of it, especially around the traffic quietening area. It seems to me that it must be several dog owners not clearing up and it's making the area look disgusting.

So if you see anyone not clearing up, please just politely ask them to do so!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ambient
No longer registered

26-02-2008 02:09 PM

Same in the Perry Vale area - noticeable increase in the past few weeks and it really is disgusting!

showtunesgirl

26-02-2008 03:14 PM

The thing is, in the mornings I used to see Council workers sweeping the streets and I haven't seen anyone doing so for months. Has anyone else noticed this?

Red67

26-02-2008 03:32 PM

showtunesgirl wrote:
The thing is, in the mornings I used to see Council workers sweeping the streets and I haven't seen anyone doing so for months. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep, it's becoming a problem on London Road and up along Sydenham Rise/Sydenham Hill too...... so antisocial. The council road sweepers don't seem to visit that frequently and i doubt that they could keep pace with the alarming amount of poop that seems to be accumulating anyway!

ambient
No longer registered

26-02-2008 03:47 PM

Yes showtunesgirl, now I think about it, I can confirm the sudden absence of road sweepers since the turn of the year. I used to see them regularly on the walk to the station in the mornings, but I can't recall seeing one at all in 2008.

showtunesgirl

26-02-2008 03:56 PM

Right so it's not just my imagination then. The last time I saw anyone sweeping in HOP was last month and they were on Brockley Rise. Seems like they are doing the main streets but not the side ones anymore.

I did think about writing to the people that do the newsletter that is posted to HOP residents but I don't have the contact details.

Also is it worth writing to the SE23 mag that goes round a bit more regularly?

I think it's a combo of asking people to clear up after themselves and also trying to get the council to sweep like they used to!

fany9560

26-02-2008 05:35 PM

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=434 already being discussed - it is quite disgusting! why on earth people get dogs when they don't want to look after them properly is completely beyond me

steveb

26-02-2008 08:06 PM

showtunesgirl wrote:
Right so it's not just my imagination then. The last time I saw anyone sweeping in HOP was last month and they were on Brockley Rise. Seems like they are doing the main streets but not the side ones anymore.

The street sweepers clean our area every day (main & side streets). Also, as stated on previous threads on this topic, if you contact the council they will take action to make sure the sweepers clean up dog mess.

The real problem is dog owners.

oryx

26-02-2008 10:54 PM

showtunesgirl wrote:
But seriously, has anyone else noticed the amount of dog poo around Honor Oak recently?

YESSSS! Horrible, isn't it?

Think I will get onto 'Love Lewisham' on the Council's website. Of course I don't blame the Council - it's the lazy stupid ******* who let their dogs defecate all over the place - but I wonder if a notice or two might help.

If I see anyone letting their dog foul the pavement, & unlikely to shoot/slit me from ear to ear, I will make my displeasure known. It would be tempting to follow them home, find out where they live, and put the offending matter through their door. ;-)

PVP

27-02-2008 09:30 AM

We're still getting the street cleaner regularly on Perry Vale as far as I can tell.

Londondrz

27-02-2008 09:31 AM

There is an owner of a very large dog that is going to have a rude shock tomorrow morning. Stepped out of my house this morning and found a monster turd (fresh) outside my garden gate. This means the owner has let his hound **** on the pavement between 7.30 and 8.00.

I shall be waiting.

showtunesgirl

27-02-2008 10:11 AM

Londondrz wrote:
There is an owner of a very large dog that is going to have a rude shock tomorrow morning. Stepped out of my house this morning and found a monster turd (fresh) outside my garden gate. This means the owner has let his hound **** on the pavement between 7.30 and 8.00.

I shall be waiting.

Whereabouts are you Londondrz. Maybe we should gang up on him? Laugh

vipes

27-02-2008 10:25 AM

Instead of a municiple necessity, "street sweeping is [now] an art" according to the side of the bin lorry that's just passed our house. So be patient citizens, the street sweepers are in their studios on Havelock Walk waiting for their muse or maybe working on their BRUSH STROKES

Londondrz

27-02-2008 12:20 PM

showtunesgirl wrote:

Londondrz wrote:

I shall be waiting.

Whereabouts are you Londondrz. Maybe we should gang up on him? Laugh

Waldenshaw Road. Do you have any of those little flags to put in the poo?Smile

lillam

28-03-2008 08:56 PM

A lot more people seem to have dogs these days, and whilst pooper scooper culture seemed to be doing okay 10 years ago, it is a distant memory amongst the current generation of dog owners.

In a 10 min walk to the train station on my residential back streets you have to look at the pavement at all times to negotiate your way through the turds. It really is getting out of hand.

Is there anything we can do on the local level about this? The council really should step up their campaign - I doubt there has ever been a single prosecution on this, but there should be...

I noticed somewhere there was a stencil sprayed on the pavement with some kind of sign like this:

I'd rather every street had these signs sprayed on them the current minefield.

Anyone else annoyed by this? Im sure Im right in saying that its gotten worse recently...

oryx

28-03-2008 11:51 PM

I contacted Love Lewisham about Stillness Road, which was a waste of time -still no response. Councillor next, methinks.

lacb

02-04-2008 10:13 PM

I am also very concerned about this and have written to a local councillor.

In looking at how to report things like this before, I have discovered some pretty good links that others may find useful:
http://www.fixmystreet.com/
http://www.writetothem.com/

HTH

Gabriel

08-04-2008 11:49 AM

Last Saturday around HOP was particular bad. Walking to the station was like an unpleasant game in Crystal Maze - and there was no prize afterwards! The pooper scoopers must return!

BarCar

17-04-2008 08:04 AM

This is from one of the ward councillors for Crofton Park:

Cllr Jackie Addison wrote:
I am pleased to be able to up date you as to some positive action that the Council will be taking in conjunction with the police to combat the mounting tide of dog fouling that we have been experiencing in the past few months. I am sorry it has taken so long to get back to some of you but I am sure when you see what is going to happen you will be pleased to know that a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes.

Thursday 15th May has been marked as a day of special action in Crofton Park Ward. We will be going to the areas that have been identified and undertaking a number of activities under the name of Responsible Animal Ownership, which will include:

o Letter / leaflet drops and distribution to dog walkers
o Clearing dog fouling with our FIDO poop scoop
o Stencilling the area
o Visiting local schools to highlight the issues
o Working with Crofton Park Safer Neighbourhood Police Team and Council Enforcement Officer to educate and if necessary enforce with the use of fixed penalty notices
o In each of the areas we want to have a unique media selling point, for example launching a poster competition with schools.

As some of you already know, The Crofton Park Safer Neighbourhood Ward Panel have made tackling dog fouling a priority for the SNT Police Team and I understand that Council Animal Welfare Officers have already had a meeting with Sergeant Warren Gregory from the SNT to start planning the work programme.

I hope this information will be useful for you and I will update you all again once I have more details of the day's programme. Please let me know if any of you would like to be more involved on the day. Also I apologise to those of you who might already know some of the information but it seemed easier to do a general letter so I knew that I had covered everything. You might also like to know that this programme will take place in other wards and that we are likely to be the first ward where it will happen.

This is certainly a move in the right direction. I suggest those of you in other wards contact your councillors and Safer Neighbourhood teams to ask for the same:

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/CouncilAndDem...uncillors/
http://www.met.police.uk/saferneighbourhoods/

Kaz

05-05-2008 01:33 AM

Herschell Road is littered with piles of dog turds, especially on the side with the church. Once it gets dark, i don't walk on the pavement near the church as the road is badly lit, and it seems that once 1 dog fouls the pavement, all owners feel its ok to follow suit. Never mind the grass in the church grounds - scouts/cubs/childrens parties all playing on turd-filled grass.
I previously lived in Lee Green - dog-fouling didn't seem to be such a big problem. Its time people took some pride in the area where they live. Its disgusting!!! Angry

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields