SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Who Do You Love in Lewisham?
michael

02-02-2008 09:39 PM

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Business/Town...ouLove.htm

Lewisham Council is asking for nominations for the best independent business in Lewisham. Last year no businesses in SE23 won Sad However, we have demonstrated that the readers of SE23.com can make a big difference in polls of this nature (see UK Pride of Place http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=72)

The only problem we have this time is a number of good businesses worth voting for so we might split the vote. However, everybody should nominate a business on the website.

A few that you might want to consider:
The Hob - not just a pub, but a comedy club
Lemon Grove - newcomer but a very welcome addition to the area and they do great mocha coffee (try it!)
Babur Brasserie - now 22 years old and still getting excellent reviews

Any other suggestions?

We have until the end of this month to submit our entries and to encourage our relatives and neighbours to do the same.

Vote now at:

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

03-02-2008 11:36 AM

Are the pictures in the link from Jumping Bean in HOP?

Zeus

03-02-2008 11:57 AM

Interesting choices Michael, but why would anyone want to vote for these? I find the Hob a bit grotty, even after the referb and the staff prefer to chat with their mates rather than serve customers. The Lemon Grove is new and yet to prove itself and the Babur may well be deserving but the last time I visited (which was a few years ago I must admit) I found it over priced and kept us waiting far too long for our table which we had booked in advance.

I agree it's worth voting. My recommendations would be:

The Dartmouth Arms
The Thai Orchard
The Elachi

So I'm afraid we will have a split vote on principle.

shzl400

03-02-2008 12:30 PM

I'm amazed no one's mentioned the Honor Oak yet!

bigjulie

04-02-2008 11:46 PM

How about the Jumping Bean then? I assume you are being ironic shzl400...

wayfarer

05-02-2008 10:33 AM

My short list of two would be:

The Honor Oak: They have turned a community eyesore, into a family friendly venue, that offers far more than just a pie and a pint. The amount of work they have put into the venture is surely an inspiration to ours (okay, i'm a bit of a fan).

For Your Eyes Only: They successfully saw off Blockbuster, and have an amazing range of new and old.

wayfarer

05-02-2008 10:42 AM

Oooops, meant to sy athat the Honor Oak must be an inspiration to others.

nevermodern

05-02-2008 11:41 AM

I agree that it would be good if we could concentrate on one or two businesses and not split our FH vote. I'd go for the Honor Hoak, too. It's not my personal favourite, but it's always ahead in our 'best pub' poll - so let's say it's won on the forum, so it 'goes through' to the final, and all nominate it Smile

bigbadwolf

05-02-2008 12:14 PM

Never been to the honor oak but it sounds like I should go. Defianitly with wayfarer on For your eyes only as he's always has the same selection as the big fish but cheaper and got hold of Atonement 2 days before it came out officially.

vipes

05-02-2008 12:28 PM

Good call Wayfarer. I'm behind For Your Eyes Only as I also LOVE the plucky way they saw off the Behemothbuster and its ugly little sister Apollo on Dartmouth Road.

Honor Oak's an OK pub you can take your kids to. There's a few of them now in SE23 but none ignite my love.

nevermodern

05-02-2008 01:37 PM

sounds like a fair choice to me, too: maybe we could focus on For Your Eyes Only and the Honor Oak?

baggydave

05-02-2008 10:49 PM

Sorry just noticed a typo - for the YOHO 'inspirational' must have been typed instead of 'insipid' which no doubt was intended.

Oh and the Querce, Librettos and Franklins come readily to mind, maybe tapastry?

PS - YOHO is a pub chain so one could say is not strictly independent

BD - the devil is in the detail

wayfarer

06-02-2008 08:30 AM

baggydave wrote:
Sorry just noticed a typo - for the YOHO 'inspirational' must have been typed instead of 'insipid' which no doubt was intended.

Oh and the Querce, Librettos and Franklins come readily to mind, maybe tapastry?

BD, Librettos I can't comment on but isn't Franklins in Dulwich??

voyager3

06-02-2008 11:10 AM

Le Querce and Tapastry would get my vote. Both great, good value, friendly neighbourhood restaurants and a real asset to our area.

Gep

06-02-2008 01:42 PM

What about Yune? I love the food there.

Darthmouth Arms and Lemon Grove: very nice ok, but overpriced.

I also love the Westbourne Cafe, maybe it's just laziness cause it's around the corner, but for the price of a coffee&cookie in the places mentioned above, you get a full English breakfast and drink.

michael

06-02-2008 02:01 PM

Okay, we have far too many good shops in the area (and even some in East Dulwich) and it does not look like we will reach a consensus. But what is most important is that people vote for one of them at:

Maybe SE23 businesses can bring in all the awards!

Verity Rose

06-02-2008 04:07 PM

baggydave wrote:

Baggy Dave you have made it no secret that you have a bias and deep rooted unnatural hatred for The Honor Oak which anyone who reads the forum is now familiar and probably like me a little bored with, however now having accepted that you will not miss an opportunity to point out it's failings I feel that I must point out your factual inaccuracies, it is not chain pub, the building is owned by punch but it is independently run.

I for one feel this new independent business it is an asset to the area.

michael

06-02-2008 04:20 PM

Nice to see a new contributor laying into Baggy!

I am sure I have seen Baggy in the Honor Oak thoroughly enjoying a pint of bitter and pickled eggs while I stuck to my white beer and wasabi nuts. He loves it really but such clean and convivial surroundings make him feel dirty and he does his penance on this forum.

Baggy is still upset that they allow women in pubs, although his favourite the MPH have resisted this for the last decade by remaining firmly shut.

jgdoherty

06-02-2008 08:34 PM

Hmm -for food only:

All Inn One/Foresters
Honor Oak
Elachi - eat-in and home delivery

Perry Hill Fish Bar - assuming it qualifies.

baggydave

09-02-2008 06:02 PM

Verity Rose. You have totally missed the point. I am having a go at the some of the sycophantic comments that have been made on this site about a certain pub. Not the place itself. I think the two Jamie's would be the first to agree that my many comments have been very helpful to them. They even managed to see the humour (that you can't) by calling it YOHO themselves. As with many business people they probably see that all publicity is good publicity. I have acknowledged many times that they have marketed their pub very well. Their 'we love the YOHO' thread that used to grace this site had only slightly more posts than the 'BD's guide to SE23 pubs', that I started to try and give a more balanced view on the pubs in the area. YOHO is a favourite for many on this site, but there is a choice of other places. See my posts on beer in the evening dot com, for equal amounts of praise and criticism on a large number of hosteleries.

I raised a question over whether it was independent - I think being part of a pub chain limits them to what beers they can sell (a British drink that was traditionally served in pubs).

If you look at what most pubs serve (both drinks and food) you will see that in years to come they will become more and more similar (this is not an anti YOHO comment), only then will you appreciate someone with a more discerning taste like yours truly. I look forward to my blue plaque over the MPT after I am gone (BD, wit and local raconteur, would like to have drunk in this pub)

For my irrational deep rooted unatural hatred comment of the day I can support others who point to the Hob as a enterprising local business. ?3.80 for a pint of nothing special lager (or was it cider, I was too shocked to check). Well good luck to them....

Michael, now you have confused me - one second you are starting a we love BD campaign, and now you are goading new posters into having a go at poor little me.... And I believe that you are also confused, as in you have mixed me up with Toffee Jim - who models himself on Arthur Seaton (who?).

Anyone for Coldplay?

BD - The needle tears a hole, The old familiar sting

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Free workshop on self-love and attracting love. FHSoc 0 2,745 10-02-2014 01:25 PM
Last Post: FHSoc