SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
TfL Bus new Countdown board stops announced
rbmartin

30-03-2011 11:17 PM

TfL have announced the list of where Countdown boards will be placed.

In SE23, new boards will be placed in London Road at the Forest Hill station stops, Dartmouth Road at the junction of Thorpewood Avenue and Hornimans Museum.

Just outside FH, Cobbs Corner will be getting Countdown boards for the first time.

The Londonwide list is on the TfL site as a PDF file.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/c...ations.pdf

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

31-03-2011 08:02 AM

Does that include the stops outside the Capitol and opposite, outside Aceri/Latitude?

poolsneighbour

31-03-2011 08:56 AM

Excellent news! I wondered why this hadnt been done already, seems Forest Hill was the only area without countdown!

michael

31-03-2011 09:50 AM

The Forest Hill Society and local councillors had been lobbying for more countdowns than are shown on this map. The new countdowns on London Road are excellent, but we would have also liked to see countdown remain outside the Jenner (Brockley Rise/Standstead Road) and at the back of the station (outside Foresters and Coop).

See http://loveperryvale.ning.com/profiles/b...n-displays from last year. Unfortunately TfL have failed to take full account of local knowledge and where these countdowns would be most useful.

Sorry for being negative. It is really good to have the new countdowns by the library, museum, and town centre. Let's hope there is a phase 2.

rbmartin

31-03-2011 10:11 AM

I think where TfL have put those boards are stops which are heavily used instead of the medium usage bus stops such as the Jenner.

For some reason I can't access the Love Perry Vale page, but I remember that Horniman Museum wasn't on the map.

I'd rather all the Countdown boards were kept in addition to the new list, but the allocation is limited and should go where people are going to benefit from them the most.

Sherwood

31-03-2011 12:18 PM

They are very useful.
You can decide whether it is worth waiting or quicker to walk.

rbmartin

31-03-2011 07:51 PM

As a side topic, I wish the bus stops outside FH Library were called that instead of Dartmouth/Thorpewood. The amount of times I've seen non-locals travel down to London Road after missing the library bus stop.

dbboy

31-03-2011 08:48 PM

Would be nice to have one outside the old barracks on Lordship Lane going into town.

rbmartin

31-03-2011 08:52 PM

I've checked the Southwark list and the board at the stop opposite High View Cadet Centre towards Forest Hill is going.

I remember they used to have one outside the barracks going towards Dulwich, however the shelter was removed when the housing development was being built with the shelter replaced without the Countdown board.

shzl400

01-04-2011 11:16 AM

They should be compulsory on all P4 stops, because the service is so erraticMad

But seriously, they should also be available as an "app" for any route as well. Anyone know is TfL are working on something like that?

poolsneighbour

01-04-2011 11:50 AM

Or instead 'Forest Hill Pools' - that would be FAR more relevant!

andrewr

01-04-2011 07:39 PM

The data which drives the Countdown indicators comes from the iBus system now on all London buses. TfL are supposed to be launching a system that will enable you to get bus info on your mobile. They say the data will also be in the public domain so anyone should be able to develop apps to tell you when the bus is coming, or indeed whether it would be quicker to walk or take a train...

Applespider

01-04-2011 08:46 PM

I didn't think that the old bus stop at the Barracks had ever actually got one - it was supposed to but not sure if it got fitted before the original shelter was removed.

I agree that it would be a sensible pair of stops to have them fitted since there are a number of bus routes that 'cross' there so people switch buses. It's my 'local' stop and quite regularly more people disembark a bus and wait at the bus stop than leave the stop. The 363 especially won't have a 'countdown' stop in any direction for some way.

I look forward to getting the 'app' for that but wonder how much they'll charge you to access it.

rbmartin

05-04-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't think that the old bus stop at the Barracks had ever actually got one - it was supposed to but not sure if it got fitted before the original shelter was removed.

I remember seeing it and of course it didn't last very long!

Incidentally after the changes are in place, there will be no Countdown boards east of Dulwich Library on Lordship Lane until Horniman Museum.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields