SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Nationalities
Scootagal

31-03-2011 08:43 AM

Oops - getting my soreen and veda mixed up...don't like either in any case! Dulse on the other hand...mmmm....my fave! I bring it back too but have yet to find anyone else (generally my workmates!) who likes it! I did once find a yucky orange type worm in a bag that I put my finger through and started screaming....didn't eat it for some time after that...but got back on the wagon once I'd calmed down Smile I now avoid paper bags of it...only the clear ones!! Although you do always get some sort of little shelled creature in there.... (Still beyond me why everyone doesn't like it...!)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AMFM

31-03-2011 09:49 AM

Veda! I'd forgotten all about it - I loved the stuff when I was little - Am going home in a month, must bring some back. Oh, and Southern Taytos are better than Northern. Just sayin'...

rshdunlop

31-03-2011 12:21 PM

Aren't they King Crisps in the South?

Scootagal

31-03-2011 12:36 PM

Think they're still Tayto...I remember the oldee stylee bags when I went to visit my granny in Donegal - they were red white and blue ironically Smile

AMFM

31-03-2011 12:55 PM

Nope, King Crisps are another brand altogether - and not as good as Tayto.

wendybradley

03-04-2011 10:53 AM

Can I claim to be Northern Irish, my great grand dad came from a little town outside Belfast? I am not even living in Forest Hill at the moment, but hang on to my tiny studio so I can come back any time I want.

seeformiles

03-04-2011 11:01 AM

My grandma was from Enniskillen and my mum spent part of her childhood there. So I have a slightly tenuous link to this thread but I have been reading with interest. :-)

rshdunlop

03-04-2011 11:25 AM

Am sitting in Belfast International Airport waiting for flight back to Heathrow. In my luggage are two Veda, six bags of Tayto Cheese and Onion and two bags of Tayto Onion Rings. Who will start the bidding?

Scootagal

03-04-2011 11:41 AM

I LOVE onion rings! A quid!

Scootagal

03-04-2011 04:35 PM

Yeh I never really get the granny being from Ireland so am I Irish thing....cos my granny was from India and I don't feel at all Indian Smile If you want to claim to be Northern Irish then by all means do - home is where the heart is! On another note - it was very sad about the young policeman killed in Omagh yesterday.

davidl

04-04-2011 12:36 PM

Another member of the diaspora here - from North Belfast to South-East London, via a few diversions. I've been in SE23 for 10 years now.

I mainly miss Tayto crisps (the ones from Tayto Castle in Tandragee rather than an industrial estate in Dublin are far nicer, in my own opinion). Also plain bread, which I've tried (in vain) to explain to my English wife - and you don't even seem to see at home any more.

Felt quite sad/angry about the murder of the policeman in Omagh this weekend, but the general reaction has been heartening.

Scootagal

04-04-2011 01:26 PM

As a direct result of all this Tayto talk...I've been browsing the website and currently have in my basket...

- a box of cheese and onion
- a box of spring onion (you can't get spring onion anywhere!)
- a box of onion rings
- a box of 'real crisps' jalapeno flavour (not something i yearn for from home but something i yearn for from the foresters!)

However...I've just been forbidden from actually buying 100+ packets of crisps by my other half Sad

borderpaul

05-04-2011 01:25 PM

I never knew there were two Tayto companies but I have googled it and there is even a Tayto Wiki, 2 Mr Taytos, personally I think the southern one looks friendlier and a Taytoland.

The founder is brilliantly named, he was Joe "Spud" Murphy who invented the Cheese and Onion flavour.

I off to Ireland for the royal wedding to have a crisp weekend.

AMFM

05-04-2011 02:06 PM

We're off to Ireland for the royal wedding too! My (English) mother in-law is genuinely disgusted with us...

roz

05-04-2011 02:53 PM

I have friends in Donegal who are holding Royal Wedding parties. so I wouldn't be too expectant about getting away from it all as a mega screen might just appear when you least expect it. Unfortunately even in the ROI there seems to be inexplicable pockets of support but maybe people just like a party. We tried to get to Paris but seems that everyone else is heading that way too! Perhaps we'll make do with Calais....

Scootagal

05-04-2011 03:24 PM

I won some 'Bout 'Ye' Tayto bright yellow socks on my one and only purchase of Tayto's from the Irish shop in ED last year Smile Unfortunately they were too big Sad

All my family in Donegal seem to be moving to Australia so if there's any left I'm sure I'll hear if there are any parties going on! I think I might be going on a parental visit just before the wedding....so Scotland then on the boat and then fly back just in time for the chaos...!

Anyone else like fifteens?? As in the buns? I made some for my work colleagues and they were not impressed with the look of them....the ones who did try them out seemed to like them but I think the general aesthetic was not to their taste Sad Me on the other hand could eat a whole batch of them!

AMFM

06-04-2011 08:32 AM

I have no objection to the wedding at all - good luck to them, I just think it's funny that my mother-in-law is so annoyed with us - she thinks we should be trekking up to Westminster to line the streets and wave our flags for a glimpse of William's bald patch in the distance.

As for fifteens - in small doses only - they're incredibly sweet (and I have a sweet tooth!)

ForestHillier

06-04-2011 12:33 PM

I have no objection to the wedding apart fron the fact that my taxes are paying for it, I thought the UK was skint, strange we can always find money for these parasites & to fight phoney wars in far off lands

Now not trying to cause any rows or upset anyone, yet I dont think they will have the bunting out in the Falls Road somehow and I for one, dont blame them after what the British have done to Ireland over the years, anyway back to happier things, come on Chelsea, beat the scum and win old big ears

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields