SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
which is quicker?
AMFM

30-03-2011 03:08 PM

Train to London bridge and jubilee line to Bond Street or Overground to Canada Water and jubilee to Bond Street?

I need to get to Bond Street for about 8ish tomorrow morning and am trying to plan my journey (and I don't trust the timings on the timetables...)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scootagal

30-03-2011 03:12 PM

I do this journey every day Smile I would go with canada water - every time I risk getting onto the jubilee line at London Bridge (like today!) it's closed / really busy and you have to wait to get on the jubilee line. Canada water tends to be easier to get onto the JL and doesn't suffer closures of the underground bit like LB does due to overcrowding etc!

rshdunlop

30-03-2011 03:14 PM

I use Canada Water because the interchange is so much quicker.

Scootagal

30-03-2011 03:19 PM

Yep - even though you get to LB a bit more conveniently using Southern Trains - the delay there is a pain. On the other hand - coming home if I manage to run out the door on time - LB gets me home quicker (by a couple of minutes!!) if I can get to LB for the 18.06...and you normally get a seat vs no seat at Canada Water.

(I am obsessed with working out the quickest way home but it always varies depending on what time you hit each point!!)

But I guess this is a discussion that could run on and on and I've answered your original question so now I will shut up Smile

andrewr

30-03-2011 04:46 PM

I started a thread on this exact topic back in January. You can see it here. Not only is it quicker to change at Canada Water on almost every occasion, if you are using Oyster PAYG it is also significantly cheaper than changing at London Bridge and continuing on the UNderground.

Sherwood

30-03-2011 04:53 PM

You only go down one flight of steps (the escalator) at Canad Water.

annsquire66

30-03-2011 07:06 PM

It's my commute too. Definitely Canada Water and yes, you can trust the timetable Smile

AMFM

31-03-2011 10:52 AM

Thanks all

jon14

05-04-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:
I started a thread on this exact topic back in January. You can see it here. Not only is it quicker to change at Canada Water on almost every occasion, if you are using Oyster PAYG it is also significantly cheaper than changing at London Bridge and continuing on the UNderground.

Could you elaborate please Andrewr? I thought it would be the same cost?

andrewr

05-04-2011 01:54 PM

I think this is catching a lot of people out (me included).

Travelling Zone 3-1 (or vice versa) from / to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park

If you use Tube / DLR / Overground only, the Oyster PAYG fare is £2.90 peak, £2.50 off peak.

If you use National Rail + Tube / DLR / Overground (which you do if you travel via London Bridge National Rail station) the fare is £4.10 peak, £3.20 off peak - ie £1.20 / 70p more.

If you actually want to travel to say Canary Wharf, zone 2, then the difference in fare is even more extreme.

A zone 3-zone 2 fare on Tube / DLR / Overground is £1.40 peak, £1.30 off peak. If you were to do the same journey via London Bridge the £4.10 / £3.20 fare would apply because you have been through National Rail zone 1.

You can get all the fares from the TfL website http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/. Hope this helps.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields