SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Vermin on rampage again
brian

26-03-2011 05:07 PM

Just seen terrible pictures on BBC News of thugs and vandals attacking Fortnum and Mason and The Police.

The guilty should be charged Police costs. Also the Police should go in much harder.

I am sure the usual suspects ( guardian readers ) will defend this outrage.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
annsquire66

26-03-2011 05:46 PM

Are there not enough incendiary devices being discharged already today Brian?

Stereotyping does not help.

roz

26-03-2011 09:42 PM

Guardian readers? You mean Liberal Democrats?

Poppy9560

26-03-2011 09:53 PM

Brian why are you so bigoted against people who read The Guardian?

roz

26-03-2011 10:06 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/advertising/ad...ip-profile

See above link. They seem normal and respectable to me. Apart from being largely LibDem these days of course!

brian

27-03-2011 06:28 PM

actually i quite like The Guardian
They do seem to have a big share of the well paid state jobs with luctative pensions readers.
Hence there support for Labour or Lib Dem.

roz

28-03-2011 08:17 AM

I don't think they're advertising many such jobs at the moment Brian. There aren't any!

derbybill

28-03-2011 10:56 AM

Following Saturday's demo, 149 people have been charged so far and no doubt there will be many more charged from the cctv and photographic evidence.

Free speech is OK but it doesn't give the right to do criminal damage.

Shame that the media only seem to take interest when something violent is happening; smashing windows is more interesting than thousands of peaceful marchers.

brian

28-03-2011 11:34 AM

But what punishment will they get.

I agree main demo quite quiet but how many of the people were public sector workers or relations of?Probably 95% plus?

This is the sector that for the last few years has recd too much of the national cake.
Even if 400,000 marchers. Means over 62 million did not march.
If it is the only thing the present Government manage they must curtail the pwer of the Public Sector Unions.

andrewr

28-03-2011 11:48 AM

My 6th form nephews were amongst the marchers having travelled all the way from Manchester to take part. They are terrified at the debt they will have by the time they leave University and the lack of job prospects when they do, together with the cuts in Public Services in the meantime.

Even if I understand the financial problems the country is in, and I'm not sure I (or anyone else) does, I'm sure that many of the marchers don't - and simply see the impact of Government action on them. Can't say I blame them for protesting. If it leads to the Government doing a better job of educating the public as to why it is necessary to put up fees and cut jobs now when it was possible to conjure up mega bucks to keep well paid bankers in jobs a year or two ago, then the march will have done a great job IMHO. CryingRolleyes

That said, I don't in any way condone people who go out of their way to cause criminal damage and trust they get what they deserve.

mgmonkey

28-03-2011 12:01 PM

There will ALWAYS be a small element looking to hijack theses protests to satisfy their own anarchic needs.

The thing that winds me up so much is that they really are a very small minority, but television, newspapers & the internet spend so much time focusing on that minority, it does nothing but give them the exposure they so crave.

Let the police do their job. Don't rise to the "vermin". The more uproar they receive from their actions, the more they'll do it.

Sassy

28-03-2011 01:45 PM

Well said MGMonkey.

Saturday's march was months in the planning. The "fat cats with gold plated pensions" taking part in the march were mainly low paid public sector workers, but let's not let a simple thing like facts colour our prejudices.

Those that caused the trouble were nowhere near the main group, because they had no interest in cuts in government spending, they were there to cause as much mayhem as possible. Most of them came via Eurostar from all over Europe, not network rail - that tells you something.

Sadly, months of planning and the message behind the march in the first place lost somewhat by a small group of idiots with their own agendas!

brian

28-03-2011 03:06 PM

But why our Balls and Milli unable to explain excactly what the alternative is

After cuts expenditure only going back to same as 2007. Last 3 years Labour went mad.

brian

28-03-2011 03:13 PM

Sorry about bad spelling. Have arm strain at moment.
3rd word should be are and apologies for bad spelling of 10th word.

Andrew appreciate your constructive post.
Indeed I am sorry for students coming up to Uni. The only way he is going to get a good shop is to help private sector expand.

I agree some people still seem ignorant of our financial plight. Not sure what more else can be done to make people aware of the facts.

shzl400

28-03-2011 07:31 PM

brian wrote:
They do seem to have a big share of the well paid state jobs with luctative pensions readers.

roz wrote:
I don't think they're advertising many such jobs at the moment Brian. There aren't any!

I seem to see plenty of high-paid senior council jobs being advertised, but very few at lower levels.[/quote]

oryx

28-03-2011 10:50 PM

I was proud to be on Saturday's march. The feeling of solidarity against the ConDem cuts was inspirational and long may it continue.

Londondrz

29-03-2011 07:21 AM

I wonder if anyone who was proud to be on the march against the cuts supported Labour when they got us into this mess. Not sure how we can blame a coalition government that is trying to fix the problems caused by it's predecessors?

Andy

29-03-2011 07:55 AM

Well, how clever. It was the previous labour government that caused all this then. I'm glad that's clear.

Sherwood

29-03-2011 08:45 AM

It did. But I don't think it is clear.

Londondrz

29-03-2011 08:58 AM

Given that Labour was in power for some time before and during the crunch I do believe they can shoulder some of the blame. Is it not the government that is supposed to keep an eye on these things?

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields