SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Freedom Pass
SpringCat

21-03-2011 06:16 PM

Just as a matter of discussion, is it fair that the government is cutting the freedom passes for many elderly citizens? I have friends who are going to be 60 this year, but will be denied this facility, despite the fact they have paid council taxes and all the rest of it for many years. Is this a fair society?
What do you think?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blushingsnail

21-03-2011 06:49 PM

Yes, it's fair to raise the entitlement age for a Freedom Pass in line with the state retirement age. Otherwise people aged 60-65 who are still working can commute to work for free (and I know some who do) paid for by the rest of us - and I don't think THAT is fair. Plus, 60 isn't elderly!

brian

21-03-2011 07:18 PM

I agree it should raise with the retirement age.

roz

21-03-2011 07:41 PM

However should it not go still to people who are 60 and are retired, some perhaps through ill health? Local government employees with long service can retire at 55; you could say that giving people free travel can open up options for them to contribute to the economy in other ways, ie if they can travel free, they might stay in hotels and B and B's and boost local tourism, and perhaps spend more money on consumer goods. I would still like to see a proper analysis before committing to a view one way or the other.

ForestHillier

22-03-2011 08:20 AM

If for whatever reason you have retired at 60, then I think you should get the freedom pass, yet agree that if you are still working past 60, then you should not get the pass, surely if you have the funds to stay in hotels, B&B and pay the obsurd prices that they charge in the major city centres, then you will have enough to but a weekly pass for travel

sandy

22-03-2011 09:43 AM

From another angle, everyone gets the freedom pass but those who earn more, pay back in tax. Then everyone gains from the convenience and no one has to apply and prove income etc. Means testing can mean a stigma attaches to such concessions.

But I agree, it needs adjusting to be in line with later retirement age.

SpringCat

22-03-2011 12:55 PM

I don't think the passes can be used before 9.30 and there are also restrictions on some routes.
However, the fact that some people carry on working after the age of 60 is because they have no choice.
Anyway if you are rich, the last thing you do is to travel by public trasport. It is a facility useful for those ones who have not got enough to afford such an expensive system, like the British Trasport system.
Considering that ministers travel free at our expenses (and use public money for their own personal needs) aren't the bus/train passes costs insignificant compared to the money wasted by the public administration?

brian

22-03-2011 01:01 PM

With FP's you are permitted as follows

Buses and Trams 24/7.

Trains after 09 30 weekdays.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Freedom Pass brian 9 8,637 29-09-2008 11:32 AM
Last Post: brian