SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Attempted Mugging
Cmck83

27-02-2011 04:43 PM

There have been loads of muggings in East Dulwich as well, looking at the East Dulwich Forum. Halfterm, innit...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

27-02-2011 07:34 PM

Surely you are not suggesting the criminals are of school age and attending school.

Bring back the cane at the least.

Cmck83

27-02-2011 08:27 PM

I am suggesting exactly that. Muggings always go up on school holidays.

roz

27-02-2011 10:05 PM

Whatever the situation, just hand over what they want, and don't even think about being a hero. A good friend and associate of mine died 7 years ago this summer after refusing to hand over his mobile phone to a crack addict mugger. Even if you feel indignant and foolish afterwards, its better than being dead. Your friends and family will thank you for taking that decision. Trust me on that one.

danieljon

06-03-2011 11:00 AM

The reply from our (very nice) local SNT: Remember CRIME HAS TO BE REPORTED IN ORDER TO BE REDUCED!

Hello Dan,

Thank you very much for your email regarding the increase in robberys in the area, it is something that we as a team have noticed over the past few weeks, we have as a result of this been patrolling the areas that have been affected more regularly at the times that the robberies have been occuring. I have just read through the threads on the forum that you sent to us and I have cross checked the reports that we have recieved with those that have been discussed or mentioned and it seems that quite a few are going unreported.

It is important that any such incidents are reported to the police either by calling 999 when it happens or 0300 123 1212 afterwards to report it. I can see on the forum that certain people havent reported such incidents as they do not believe that they could identify the offenders. This is quite a common reason for this sort of thing to go unreported but we still encourage a report to be made, this way it comes down to us your local team. When these reports come through to us we normally contact the victim and speak to them but we also take note of the area where the incident occured as well as the time of day and the day of the week that it occur on, this enables us to see patterns and deploy ourselves where we are needed most.

If incidents go unreported to us then we just dont know about them, it would seem that the robbery problem is a bit worse than we thought as so many have gone unreported i have passed this information on to the rest of my team and we will be patrolling the area even more as a result of this new information.

We dont regulary moniter internet forums as not every officer on the team has internet access and those that do have limited access to certain types of websites and forums are not something that we can always access so we are not able to post on the forum ourselves but it is something that we can look into, if you wish to post on the forum on our behalf advising everyone to report any such incidents it would be appreciated by oursleves and advise them that we are patrolling the area on regular basis as a result of the increase in the robberys in the area.

Many thanks
Katherine Carney
PCSO 7209PL
Crofton Park

robin orton

06-03-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:
We dont regulary moniter internet forums as not every officer on the team has internet access and those that do have limited access to certain types of websites and forums are not something that we can always access

I found this, from the SNT, astonishing. Surely nowadays every police officer should be given internet access. And why are some officers only given 'limited access' - can't they be trusted?

Jane_D

06-03-2011 12:34 PM

Great that the SNT are taking note and patrolling the areas more often, though.

Mauschen81

06-03-2011 01:55 PM

I was also mugged in Forest Hill the week before Christmas. I was walking home from the train station (8.30pm on a Sunday night), up towards the Horniman Museum. A guy came up behind me and tried to take my bag.

I didn't let go, so I got pushed to the ground. Luckily a family who were passing in their car noticed the tussle and pulled over to help. They chased the guy down and he dropped my bag.

The police caught the kid in the area, he's 13 and well known for mugging. He used to live in Forest Hill but is in Lewisham now. Apparently he's in and out of custody every 48 hours or so; they never have enough evidence to convict him. The police are still investigating my case, I think they hope my bag will have DNA evidence to help the case.

I wouldn't fail to report something, the sooner these kids get caught the better!

SJE1

06-03-2011 04:28 PM

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you and hope you recovered from it ok. I also experienced an attempting mugging at the beginning of February in the alley way that connects Sunderland Road and Shipman Road. Initially the guy cycled up next to me when I was walking up Sunderland Rd and asked for the time. But when I turned down the alleyway he came up to me again and asked for my bag. I pegged it and shouted very loudly for help (esp as my passport was in my handbag and I was flying to Thailand the next day!!!). Luckily he didn't chase after me and I called the police as soon as I got home and they were fantastic. They came over in minutes and I went for a drive around to see if we could find the guy, sadly we didn't.

Be careful people - my mugger was an opportunist and usually there are a few people walking home so its busy, but there was nobody around when it happened. The police said that reported muggings are on the up in this area so its paramount that if it happens to you, you report it even if they are wearing a hoodie or their face is covered up.

Another tip from me is to stick things like your phone, house keys and oyster card in your pockets so if you do get your bag snatched at least you can get home and make a phone call.

Stay safe.

brian

06-03-2011 05:12 PM

This increase of street assaults is a disgrace. Any victim has my sympathy.

I am sure not the case with this victim but have noticed all to many persons
walking along in another wirld listening to mobiles and modetn devices.

Especially when walking in a quiet are one should pay attention to what is arround using both eyes and ears

Fish Face

09-03-2011 04:01 PM

ATTENTION LADIES!

Come along to jujitsu classes on Ackroyd road at the Community Centre.

It's a brilliant self defence.

The more people say 'just give the muggers what they want', the more they will keep doing it.

If the muggers realised who they could be dealing with down the bottom of Ackroyd road - I think they'd give the area a miss!

SJE1

09-03-2011 07:22 PM

Could be tempted - how much, what day/ time etc? Smile

Fish Face

09-03-2011 08:24 PM

Monday nights, 8-9.30pm, £10

But you get first few lessons free trial!

Very friendly bunch Smile

roz

09-03-2011 09:39 PM

Fish face, I couldn't disagree more with you more and think you need to get a grip on the real world before you recommend that people tackle muggers. If you knew someone who had died as a result of a mugging you would not be promoting self defence. Self defence may be useful in some circumstances but rarely so when presented with one of the many vicious looking, curved knives that people carry around with them. These knives do a lot of unspeakable damage to internal organs and cause a very painful death. If you want to speak to some people in north London who lost a dearly beloved 29 year old son in that manner six years ago, I can put you in touch with their mother, father and two brothers. I can even email you some of the many press cuttings relating to this dreadful incident. The mugger concerned was convicted but then investigated for an earlier murder of a female jogger in Victoria Park, Hackney. Do you think these people will be derailed by some amateur kick boxing? I think not.

Contrary Mary

09-03-2011 10:08 PM

Seconded - with one further note:

Jiu-Jitsu is not the same as self-defence. I did proper self-defence classes as a lass, and they involved a lot of stuff about defensive pedestrianism (sensible routes, confident body language when walking, etc), talking your way out of a situation, and the cardinal rule of

"if all they want is your stuff, just give it to them, it's only stuff"

The physical aspects involved some martial arts moves, sure - but they were 99% blocks or ways to get out of grabs and holds (in order to leg it, not take on the attacker!).

Promote Jiu-Jitsu by all means, but as a sport, not a self-defence method.

And proper self-defence is well worth promoting, too.

Fish Face

09-03-2011 10:35 PM

Well neither of you know what you are talking about as:
a) It's not kickboxing
b) Jujitsu is not a sport.
c) The jujitsu club I refer to is about 90% self-defense techniques.

This quote sums it up perfectly:
"There are few arts which are as good for practical self defence as Ju Jitsu. Many arts will teach a lot of complicated strikes and high kicks which are impossible to actually use if one was attacked on the street. In Ju Jitsu students are taught defences against a wide variety of realistic situations - defence from rear attacks, holds, weapons, punches, kicks, attacks on the ground and many more. Another reason most people find it useful is the fact that size and strength is not an issue and because of this Ju Jitsu is commonly taught in self defence courses to different people and in particular women."

Roz, no need for the childish put-downs or gory details, I don't know who you are trying to lecture here. I think we all understand the dangers of knives.

roz

10-03-2011 08:13 AM

If you did you wouldn't be advocating people fighting back when all the professional and police advice is to hand over valuables and not put up a struggle. I am lecturing you as your view could put anyone who listens to it in danger. Gory details are necessary therefore.

brian

10-03-2011 09:16 AM

I know their is terrible danger in fighting back but if everyone simply handles over their possisions to the criminal scum, what a disaster for society.

Contrary Mary

10-03-2011 10:55 AM

Sport, art - whatever. It's jiu-jitsu or self-defence. That doesn't mean people can't use some of the techniques for last-resort self-defence, granted. But how much time in the classes is spent discussing/advising on how to a) avoid getting into situations where you need them, or b) how to get out of situations without using them? These are the aspects which distinguish a self-defence class from a straight martial arts class.

Brian: While it is sad and despicable that there are "criminal scum" out there thieving with violence, the "disaster for society" is the number of good people killed or injured because they refuse to see losing stuff as a way of protecting their (far more important and breakable) physical persons.

roz

10-03-2011 07:37 PM

Agreed CM. Things are usually replaceable. I think its the indignation of letting someone get away with something that makes people fight back. Its a natural instinct to stand up for yourself but ultimately self preservation should be the aim for everyone. As you said, stuff is just stuff.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields