SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham People Before Profit hold local meeting
John Hamilton

09-03-2011 11:43 PM

There will be a chance for sympathisers with Lewisham People Before Profit to meet to plan activities in this part of the borough on Tuesday 15th March at the Wesley Hall Methodist Church, Sydenham Road at 7.30pm. Come in the left hand side entrance and through the blue door.
Lewisham People Before Profit is a political party and pressure-group responsible in the main for the Carnival Against Cuts and heavily involved in the library protests in Crofton Park and New Cross. Most activists in the group live in Ladywell, Brockley, Telegraph Hill, New Cross, but the level of support in May's local elections (around 350 votes in Forest Hill and similar in Perry Vale and Sydenham) shows that there is broad support across the borough for policies to regenerate Lewisham through a change of direction in the council towards ending privatisation and building homes and expanding industry in the borough.
One topic for Tuesday's meeting will be whether pressure can be applied on Steve Bullock's administration by organising a Council Tax Strike. All welcome.
See http://www.LPBP.org.uk for further information about the group and http://www.CarnivalAgainstCuts.org for video links of the Carnival.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

10-03-2011 07:51 PM

Admirable stuff but do you not think that if Sir Steve wasn;t forced to make these cuts he wouldn't be. And also the Councillors probably have enough brains between them to produce and alternative strategy if they thought one existed. I work in another local authority where the cuts are particularly excessive due to it being deprived and in receipt of a higher proportion of grants which have been cut. No councillors are finding this easy, not even the Conservative ones. I have it on good authority that Tory Councillors in Lewisham are also expressing their discontent with the situation to David Cameron. I therefore think that the centre of your discontent should be Downing Street not Catford Town Hall.

Local authorities can only build homes through housing associations with central government grants so not sure how a Council could do this unilaterally.

I admire things like this but sometimes think that the protest needs to directed more at the organ grinders.

John Hamilton

14-03-2011 12:40 AM

Just a quick note to say that Tuesday's meeting will now be held at 7.30pm in the Golden Lion pub - back room - since the Wesley Hall Methodist Church decided it didn't want to host a political meeting and the message didn't get through till Friday.

Thanks for your reply, Roz.

We aim to put pressure on Steve Bullock because he appears to be willingly destroying vital services before taking measures to stop wasting our money on outside consultants (£5 million) and privatising services such as road repairs and now streetlighting. We want to put pressure on him to start taking OUR side in the fight with cental government.

I hope to meet you at the meeting.

brian

14-03-2011 08:39 AM

John
You say fight central government.

Surely we need to spend our energy in helping our fellow citizens and building society rather than futile meetings.
I doubt if Sir Steve will attend.

You could enjoy a few ales there.

michael

14-03-2011 09:22 AM

What happens to vital services if there is a Council Tax Strike organised by one of the local political parties? Will this bring about a change of policy or just lead to more cuts?

roz

14-03-2011 02:21 PM

I can't see a Council Tax strike happening. If people don't pay it will be chased up, period and things made more difficult for them.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields