SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Recycling collection too early again and barking dog ...still!
notstoppin

29-06-2011 10:19 AM

I don't think the staff at Wearside Road have any real control over the workforce, who are employed by a private contractor. It's only when the contract comes up for re-tendering (once every three years?) that the contractor is likely to pay any attention to what the Council or local residents feel about the service.

I doubt whether the binmen are starting work earlier simply in order that they they can go home earlier. It's more likely that they just have to get more done with fewer staff and the only way to do that is to start early. Or that much of their pay is tied-up in a bonus scheme and the only way to earn a decent wage is to start work at 5.00am. One of the many problems associated with contracting-out is that, over time, corners are cut and standards drop because each new contractor has to undercut the previous one to get the job in the first place.

I have every sympathy for the binmen who do a dirty and unpleasant job, in all weathers, working unsocial hours and for relatively low wages. In the circumstances, it's hardly surprising that they do a poor job but let's not kid ourselves otherwise. Credit where it's due; in my experience they really good at emptying the bins. Now, if they'd just take the rubbish away with them....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Recycling collection too early again and barking dog ...still! - notstoppin - 29-06-2011 10:19 AM