SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next > Last »
Planning Application - Hindsley Place and Westbourne Drive
tohellwithculture

28-03-2011 10:14 PM

I support Jeff Lowe's planning application.

Jeff Lowe was instrumental in developing the existing live/work studios on Havelock Walk. I understand that when he started to develop those properties, back in the 1990s, he met considerable resistance from the Lewisham planning office. In considering the current planning application, I feel that we should all reflect on what Havelock Walk would be today (and what Forest Hill would have lost) if Jeff Lowe had not committed his time and energy over a sustained period to developing the buildings and community.

I feel the current planning application represents another opportunity for the Forest Hill community to benefit from Jeff Lowe's ability to convert derelict, wasted buildings into inspirational new buildings that invigorate their surroundings.

Whilst I recognise that not all new buildings will appeal to all members of the local community, I feel that, for Forest Hill, it would be detrimental to stifle the creative vision of a local resident who has a proven track record of similar developments in the local area, which continue to be enjoyed by residents and the local community.

As regards aesthetics, can we reallty conclude that the proposed tower is less appealing that the Berkeley Homes block as the view of Forest Hill from passing trains? The proposed development would be a visual statement of Forest Hill's willingness to foster creativity, support individuality, encourage change and move South East London forward into the 21st century.

Good luck Jeff.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jefflowe

29-03-2011 08:41 AM

Dear Michael,
Thank you for your comments,i think they are fair and i will reflect on them. I met with Joanna Gore and her daughter yesterday about the gallery/studios/community room and cafe proposed for the old Lattitude restaurant. I think they have a good plan and i hope that it happens.They were not overly keen on the proposed pound shop.
Jeff.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

29-03-2011 09:29 AM

I've bitten my tongue on this thread as I've not really known how to respond in the light of the tone of the 'discussion' and that my background is probably not of interest to the applicant (my qualifications are in the built environment and planning rather than the arts - personally I find it unfortunate that my picture of the applicant, someone who apparently has done so much positive work locally, is tainted by the odd way he has presented himself on this forum). But in the hope that this thread can return to the level of good debate that is generally (but not exclusively) found on the forum here are my thoughts.

My immediate reaction on looking at the designs were to be taken aback (something good art and architecture should probably achieve). I wasn't sure I liked the design and thought little more about it. In following the thread I've looked through the planning documents in detail a number of times since and as a standalone building I've actually come to quite like it. I like the juxtaposition of the tower and the low-rise building and the styles they use.

Where I struggle is with the building in context with Westbourne Drive, not in terms of its style (I'm in favour of a mixture of good architectural design) but scale. I'm struggling to think of any other local examples of new builds/rebuilds where the applicant has been granted permission for something so much taller/bigger than the surrounding structures and I worry that this is where the application would fail. Even in my street of 'ugly' 3 storey townhouses I would not expect to be granted permission to rebuild mine to 6 storeys.

I'm less sure about how it will relate to Hindsley Place as I've never ventured down there and neither has the Google StreetView car.

I'm also not sure how the applicant's reputation should play into things. He apparently has a track record of successful builds and has been active locally which should give the planning authority confidence to work with him. It should not, however, be used as a reason to accept a proposal that *might* be wrong for the site it its current form.

In an interesting parallel with another thread we're all aware of there are also issues about what level of concession should be made in return for reviving what is currently a tatty and vacant plot.

Cellar Door

29-03-2011 10:47 AM

IWereAbsolutelyFuming wrote:
I find it unfortunate that my picture of the applicant, someone who apparently has done so much positive work locally, is tainted by the odd way he has presented himself on this forum.

Agreed.

carpenterpaul

29-03-2011 12:30 PM

As both a local resident and local business, I would like to offer my unwavering support for Jeff Lowe's planning application. The building is a courageous and exciting attempt to inject both modern architecture and artistic flair to Forest Hill. Once built it will help put us on the 'South London Arts Map'. Plans such as this are what attract investment, in this economic climate and time of change small business ventures such as this, that provide for, build and cement communities are vital to the sustainability of ours and our children's future.
Well done Jeff for brightening up our environment!

jefflowe

29-03-2011 12:31 PM

Sorry you feel like that. I suppose it is very frustrating writing to opinions without faces.Have never done this or any other forum before. I think my conclusion is that i personally don't like it. I have not hidden my name(please don't all take that as a criticism) and have views which i will stand by,and i hope are consistent. I suppose i prefer talking to people face to face. Have an idea for a way for people to register opinions which i hope to start soon.One thing for sure, I have spent too much time on this forum.Back to sculpture making for me.

Cellar Door

29-03-2011 12:40 PM

Thank you Jeff for your considerate response. I understand your frustration. I hope you enjoy the sculpture. And I also hope to see you back on here, too.

Yves

29-03-2011 09:24 PM

I wander if Jeff Lowe is paying celticexplorer?
maybe that could be new thread?

Yves

29-03-2011 09:26 PM

mistake-i wonder

junegapi

29-03-2011 11:50 PM

Most users of the Forum know who Jeff Lowe, Michael and several others are. But who are you Yves? What information do you have that entitles you to write such a cheap message.

If you have any courage, come out into the open and declare yourself and the source of your information.

I am not necessarily for or against Jeff Lowe's planning application. But I hate such cheap hits from people who stay hidden.

seeformiles

30-03-2011 12:17 AM

You could equally argue my first reaction was a cheap shot. I said it looked like an alien spacecraft - but that actually WAS the first thing that came into my head. Where does honest commentary end and cheap jibes begin?

Would you feel the same way if Yves had made this comment about a development you disliked intensely?

Later I DID modify my reaction. I don't doubt its vision and creativity -but it's easy to defend something that may not affect you directly - so it's important that those who are close by have their say.

But the very nature of these online forums is that most of us do stay hidden - it's part of the way we interact in this medium. It's about being sensible and security conscious as much as anything.

Some have chosen to be more public but then that ties in with some of the public work they do anyway. It should be up to the individual...

Yves

30-03-2011 08:49 AM

Oh my 'cheap hit' really hit a nerve,coming from someone who's neither for the proposal nor against it.
I don't care who you are,couldn't care less to be more precise,it's just an observation since i've read the whole debate which is turning nastier and nastier unfortunately.So maybe it's better to have it out on the forum 'cause some of the users are sooooo agro!Scared

celticexplorer

30-03-2011 08:56 AM

...actually Yves...I really wish I were in the payment of Jeff Lowe...now that would be something....in an effort to balance things out ..my details can be found at http://www.paulmurphy.com...

roz

30-03-2011 09:45 AM

My hunch was right.

seeformiles

30-03-2011 03:38 PM

I hope that wasn't directed as me Yves. If so you've misunderstood my position and perhaps misread my post - I was defending your comment.

Gep

30-03-2011 07:37 PM

My only concern is with the height of the building.

Apart from that I think it would be great for Westbourne Drive and maybe a brand new building will inspire the Council (and the tenants) to tidy up the houses next door!

dartmouth

05-04-2011 06:05 PM

What hunch is that Roz? Ive lost track....

doml

19-05-2011 09:16 PM

Have just spent the last 2 hours reading this entire thread. Fascinating debate !

I really like the fact that the new school are challenging the old school. Let that continue ! This forum has been dominated for way too long by a minuscule group of self-congratulating nimby's, who IMHO are the most backwards fold I've ever read on a blog.

On a personal subject, as the chap who's doing the very contentious [slow] build on Tewkesbury Avenue, let it be known to all who care : The build was started before planning permission expired so the planning permission is now valid for all eternity.

And thus the contentious build will happen. Might take a while yet though !

Hurrah !

michael

19-05-2011 10:08 PM

This application is listed on the council website as 'withdrawn by the applicant'.

doml

19-05-2011 10:14 PM

Jeff Lowe's, yes, but not mine, lest there be any confusion.

Perhaps Jeff got bored ? Or perhaps he withdrew to have a rethink and fine tune, and make his application even more stupendous ? Or perhaps money became an issue ? Let Jeff announce why.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham Council approve "controversial" planning application samuelsen 1 4,448 10-11-2022 04:43 PM
Last Post: taymountgrange
  Taymount Grange | Planning Application | DC/22/127431 taymountgrange 6 5,273 10-11-2022 04:38 PM
Last Post: HannahM
  Planning application to convert Home Accessories Extra to a coffee shop hillview 8 11,479 22-04-2018 01:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Planning application to convert Forest Hill Co-op to a hotel hillview 12 13,237 10-03-2018 02:34 PM
Last Post: Uhuru
  Planning application to change Honor Oak Supermarket to a bar nitoda 10 18,953 03-07-2016 08:42 PM
Last Post: HannahD
  Planning Application: 1 Manor Mount Mrjamon 50 57,533 14-12-2015 11:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  The 4 Redberry Grove Planning Application robertlondon 21 32,995 15-09-2015 07:16 AM
Last Post: JRW
  Planning Application: M&Co to become a Morrisons Local? edpaff 141 162,937 09-09-2015 04:42 PM
Last Post: michael
  Land on corner of Perry Vale & Westbourne Drive blushingsnail 64 72,457 14-05-2015 08:53 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Planning Application: 51-53 Canonbie Road penfold 88 117,864 02-05-2014 02:04 PM
Last Post: Hunter
  Planning Application: 120 Stanstead Road michael 67 80,391 11-12-2013 03:50 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Planning Application: 6 Church Rise ForestGump 58 74,090 02-04-2013 05:53 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Planning Application: 6 Church Rise NewForester 30 43,634 02-08-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Planning Application: Land to the rear of 107 Honor Oak Park alethius 5 10,251 25-06-2012 12:02 PM
Last Post: alethius
  Planning Application: 27 Shipman Road theirpuppet 50 59,176 07-06-2012 10:25 AM
Last Post: emma
  Codrington Hill - planning application? blushingsnail 1 6,070 24-05-2012 11:02 PM
Last Post: megan
  Planning Application - 113 Bovill Road davidl 7 12,843 21-04-2012 12:06 PM
Last Post: HOPcat
  Planning application: 33 Dartmouth Road Baboonery 16 19,548 29-11-2011 10:41 AM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming
  Planning Application: 15 Davids Road NewForester 4 8,513 18-08-2011 08:34 AM
Last Post: notstoppin
  Planning Application: 139 Sunderland Road RobF 48 55,231 04-06-2011 10:00 PM
Last Post: michael