SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Closure of Baby Gym at Sydenham Hill Community Hall
NatashaM

04-03-2011 10:42 PM

I found out this week that Lewisham Council are stopping all childrens' services that take place at Sydenham Hill Community Hall including the very popular Baby Gym on Wednesday mornings.

It seems that the hall is owned by a private company and leased by Lewisham Council. They pay £14,500 per annum for the lease and because of the reduced budget they can't afford to continue past the end of the financial year.

That means the last Baby Gym will be on the 30th March.

Baby gyms will continue in the other locations in the borough, only Sydenham has been cut.

I asked the Area 4 children's office if I was able to find an alternative venue (possibly a church hall) in the area to host baby gym on Wednesday mornings they'd consider continuing the service. The person I spoke to said that they wouldn't rule that out.

They are having a consultation meeting on 30th March at 10am at 109a Randlesdown Road about the future of childrens' services in Lewisham. They are hoping to provice a creche. I plan to attend - would be great to get as many people there as possible to protest about the closure and lobby for Baby Gym to take place at another venue near the original one.

I've also started a facebook page "Save Sydenham Baby Gym" - would be great if as many people as possible could 'like' it and I will keep it updated with news on the campaign.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NatashaM

08-03-2011 09:59 AM

I've also started a petition online - please do add your signature. Thank you.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/sa...hambabygym

NatashaM

10-03-2011 12:01 PM

The South London Press will be running an article on the closure and our campaign tomorrow - please read it! Thank you.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sydenham Community Radio 106.8 FM rbmartin 1 3,163 28-06-2010 11:20 PM
Last Post: simonse26
  Continuing Closure of East end of Sydenham Park outside Electricity Substation shelleypath 2 4,975 12-11-2008 05:00 PM
Last Post: shelleypath