SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Poll: How committed are you to HOP parade shops?
I don't use them at all
I use them once a month
I use them once a week
I use them every day
I have supported 0 shops
I support 1 shop
I support 2/3 shops
I support 4 - 6 shops
I support 6+ shops
I will do my best to support all shops that open in HOP
[Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Poll - How much do we use HOP
simonj

31-01-2008 09:44 AM

It has been brought to my attention that in order to attract new businesses to HOP parade we need to be able to show that we will support them so that they can make a judgement about local commitment and the amount of revenue they are likely to bring in. If I was a new business person I would be checking sites like this to gage the local feeling and may even post a thread asking what kind of reception a new business idea would have.

I feel that we should have some evidence here for potential business people to look at so that they can make in informed judgement on whether to invest in a new venture in HOP. It is important that we answer honestly to this poll as we could be helping to take life-changing decisions on behalf of new business ventures. Ana (Bar Equal) has told be that she will be selling both her businesses so lets do all we can to help that happen and attract some more quality venture to our parade.

I have never done a poll before so I hope this works - if not I will try again but you get the idea!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

31-01-2008 10:41 AM

Well we used to go to bar equal once a week at least. Also I have bought things before from Jumping Bean and The Deli. We Eeat regulary at Tapastry. Less regularly but we also go to the Old Bank, and the Honor Oak Tandory.

I am planing to increase this more though. I need a lot of things framed for example so the Galery shop is my next stop.

gemmar

31-01-2008 10:46 AM

Ghis wrote:
Well we used to go to bar equal once a week at least. Also I have bought things before from Jumping Bean and The Deli. We Eeat regulary at Tapastry. Less regularly but we also go to the Old Bank, and the Honor Oak Tandory.

I am planing to increase this more though. I need a lot of things framed for example so the Galery shop is my next stop.

I can thoroughly recommend the Honor Oak Gallery. We have had a number of pictures framed in the last year and the work is of high quality. We also bought a couple of pictures from the gallery.

evanick

31-01-2008 11:28 AM

i have used the furniture shop on the corner selling pine. The furniture was very good and well made.

Ghis

31-01-2008 11:32 AM

evanick wrote:
i have used the furniture shop on the corner selling pine. The furniture was very good and well made.

Forgot about that. We bought our dining table and chairs from them.

evanick

31-01-2008 11:35 AM

Mind you, the shop is under different management now so I am not sure if they are equally reliable.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

31-01-2008 01:22 PM

The poll needs an "I use the parade rarely" option. I live in FH so dont really have a use for the parade's 'day-to-day' shops. I used to visit the Red Room(s?) restaurant a fair bit and haven't really been back over since that closed. The retro furniture shop is the most likely thing to tempt me back over now.

Johnc

31-01-2008 01:39 PM

I only really use it for the odd take away when i'm coming back from somewhere, normally rugby.

Golden Tiger - Still, in my view, provides the best special fried rice in the area, despite what everyone says about Yune etc

The Fish and Chip shop next door - excellent saveloy and chips while walking home

fany9560

31-01-2008 05:28 PM

I use Brockley Rise regularly but I have eaten in Tapasty and The Old Bank on Honor Oak Parade and they are both good. I would have got a fireplace but the shop closed down Sad
I use the deli if I am feeling energetic enough to walk that bit further

oryx

31-01-2008 07:31 PM

Use Honor Oak Tandoori fairly regularly, both for eat-in & delivery, the deli & we had just started using Visual Eyes! I use the minicab place a lot if coming back late, & my one visit to Tapastry (partner isn't keen as it's meat-orientated) impressed me.

HOP has a nice mix of traditional (small corner-style shops, greasy spoons) & new - the shopping parade attracted me to the area and I would hate to see it go down the pan.

falkor

31-01-2008 07:37 PM

One shop along Honor Oak Parade tried to tell me some out of date crisps the other day... I gladly accepted them at the discounted price, in the hope of catching what people often refer to as food poisoning, a condition I've yet to be diagnosed with in my lifetime.

simonj

02-02-2008 10:13 AM

only 68 votes come on you lot...

robwinton

02-02-2008 02:10 PM

I'm not sure of the value of the poll though. Many of us live too far away to use this parade regularly. If we vote it looks like people hardly use the place, which is not the objective. Also, as there are three separate questions all bound up in the one poll (how regularly you use them / how many you visit / whether you would support more shops opening) I doubt you'll be able to make much sense of it.

I'm not wishing to undermine your worthy cause however. I do think that the shops are an important., but maybe you could stick to one key question?

I don't think entrepreneurs looking to invest should be at all concerned about the latent demand for services around the area. Look at the response to The Honor Oak opening, and to Lemon Grove.

simonj

02-02-2008 02:47 PM

Have to disagree, I think the results are giving a positive indication to anyone wanting to set up here.

Next poll will be: - Do you want a coffee shop to open in HOP parade?

Is that straight forward enough for you!! Wink

simonj

02-02-2008 02:50 PM

also as due to the multi foci you have to look at the votes rather than the %s to get a real feel for what the poll saying.

I do agree though if you live too far away to use the shops DONT VOTE!!! - Cheers Rob.

Hopman

06-02-2008 10:19 PM

I can also vouch for the quality of the work from the gallery - we got a bunch of things framed there very nicely.

We like the Honor Oak Tandoori, though we haven't tried all the other restaurants. Like the deli a lot, and the food shops and newsagent are handy. We used the video shop several times in the few months we've lived here and are annoyed it closed.

We live right round the corner and are very keen for this parade to stay healthy. We use it, not every day but I would say more than once a week. More than once a weekend unless we're away, and usually once or twice during the working week for convenience things. The poll might show demand more clearly if there had been an option for, say, 3-5 times per week.

TSRG

07-02-2008 09:47 PM

We use the cafe - good fish finger, bacon and egg sarnies;
Bed from the pine shop - seemed good quality and price for the quality of materials used etc (I shopped around a lot);
DVD shop;
chip shop - good chips and friendly;
Deli a couple of times;
missus loves the jumping bean place;
Going to try the Bank next weekend;
I find the two convenience stores on the South side very friendly and good service, refuse to go in the one on the North side - find that the owner/staff make you feel totally unwelcome. Anyone else find this?

simonj

08-02-2008 08:26 AM

which is the one on the north side?

Hopman

09-02-2008 09:59 AM

The Honor Oak Supermarket?? I've found the staff there friendly. Occasionally slightly too friendly like the time the chap told me in detail about the terrible cold he'd had, but you can't fault him for an amiable willingness to chat.

Still, as long as we're shopping locally each to his own.

and yes, I forgot Jumping Bean which is a life-saver when on the way round to a birthday do, and the chip shop which was nice.

baggydave

10-02-2008 09:20 PM

A couple of quick points (a) the focus on Forest Hill (rather than all of SE23) on this site. Perhaps this thread will help redress the balance

(b) that there is a nice parade of shops on Honor Oak Rise, which I frequent a few times a month (much more pleasant than Dartmouth Road), but Brockley Rise is not a particularly nice place beyond Querce, and the reasonable tyre place close to the South Circ. Babur's OK, been going there for years but think they are trading on their reputation and priced accordingly.

The Postcode show, that was filmed as a trailor in the Brockley Jack theatre, if I recall the thread, suggested much greater community spirit in HOP

BD - And you could have it all - My empire of dirt

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields