SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Poll: How committed are you to HOP parade shops?
I don't use them at all
I use them once a month
I use them once a week
I use them every day
I have supported 0 shops
I support 1 shop
I support 2/3 shops
I support 4 - 6 shops
I support 6+ shops
I will do my best to support all shops that open in HOP
[Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Poll - How much do we use HOP
fany9560

11-02-2008 08:17 PM

I don't agree about Brockley Rise BD - the dry cleaner is very good (and cheap)and the supermarket is good too. Concard paper shop is very friendly.Rice n Spice does a good curry, and Attractions is a good and friendly hairdresser.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SophieBee

11-02-2008 08:33 PM

I'm with you fany9560, I really like the parade of shops on that part of Brockley Rise and tend to use them much more often than Honor Oak Park - although that is probably more to do with proximity and convenience. I also want to highlight the Chinese restaurant (Tai Wu) which has great food, friendly service and reasonable prices and doesn't often get a mention on this forum.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
honoracorn

11-02-2008 09:24 PM

I have to say that I don't use the shops on the parade that much but that's just because none of the current businesses really cater to what i need or want. That shouldn't put off future business owners though. If a new business set up supplying goods which I need, then of course I'd use it. I don't need dentures. Or funerals. Or framing. Or fireplaces. Or flowers. This for me is the problem. Too many shops that are ok but that you might use once in a blue moon or are too niche to get regular custom (vintage furniture and pine furniture shops come to mind). A thriving parade needs shops that are not just visited on rare occasions, but preferably daily or at the very least weekly.

I regularly get in my car and drive to other parades in the area to buy stuff and there's no reason why those types of shops couldn't be in Honor Oak. One is Kim Libretto Butchers on Wood Vale which is hardly a parade packed with passing traffic. Another is Sopers Fishmongers and the greengrocers in Nunhead and Moxons and SMB Foods on Lordship Lane. If there was a decent off-licence on the parade I would be in there EVERY WEEK buying wine that isn't Blossom Hill, Hardys or whatever other horrible brand Gogis stocks.

Hopman

11-02-2008 11:58 PM

I see what you mean honoracorn, though having used the gallery I'm glad it's there. I don't think the flower shop was that much of a once-in-a-blue-moon thing either. I've got my eye on the pine shop but I don't suppose I'll use it every day. Still, there are currently 4 vacancies I think, so room for something like a butcher, fishmonger, greengrocer, what have you.

The other evening I think I walked past a butcher's up towards Crofton Park a bit - I'll have to have a look at that when it is open some time. And there's Mr Lawrence - probably that is taking most of the better-quality wine market locally.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields