SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Attempted Mugging
bebei

24-02-2011 07:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Just wanted you all to be vigilant. There are 4 youths in the Honor Oak Park area who attempted to mug me just off Gabriel Street moments ago. They didnt get anything as a car drove by slowly that scared them off. They appeared to be heading south towards Forest Hill.

I reported it, and I was told it was also reported by two others.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cmck83

24-02-2011 08:07 PM

What time was this at? I saw about 12 police arresting 3 or 4 youngfellas on the hill just up from the station at about 5.30ish. They were just outside the entrance of the allotments. I was wondering what all that was about...

bebei

24-02-2011 08:15 PM

It was about 7ish.

hillsideresident

24-02-2011 08:17 PM

That must have been very unpleasant for you. I hope you're OK.

How old would you say they were? Did you manage to get a description of them?

bebei

24-02-2011 08:55 PM

The looked in their teens, 15 - 18. Unfortunately with hats and hoods so difficult to get a good description. The dimly lit streets don't help.

The police were over and I was told they tried to mug two others after me. The police were surprised by how active the community are around here in reporting the crime. Apparently someone reported my incident before I did.

dipsolala

24-02-2011 10:52 PM

Being mugged, 'attempted' or 'successful' is a horrid, horrid experience. Your resolve and action is commendable, I don't doubt the effects will be with you for a bit. But your reports about how active the community/neighbours were is important. So many times people look the other way, it's the easy option. The fact it's changing, and people feel they can contribute to stopping crime, without repercussion, is a step forward and should be applauded.

I hope you're ok bebei, don't underestimate the effect this can have on someone, and thank you for sharing

Cmck83

24-02-2011 11:07 PM

Oh dear, it couldn't have been what I saw then. Jaysis, it's all kicking off around here today! It is good that they got reported so quickly and by so many though. I hope you are feeling better!

Does anyone know what was happening with the youths and the dozen police officers at about 5.30ish on honor oak park? Was that over something similar does anyone know?

sonny

25-02-2011 09:30 AM

Hi Bebei

I hope you're ok after your ordeal

I would just like to thank you for reporting so quickly to the authorities and the forum which I am assuming is what contributed to the culprits being aprehended so quickly

Also this kind of immediate action will deter fools like these coming back in the future as will tend to prey in areas where they are more likely to get away with it

brian

25-02-2011 11:06 AM

Yes I agree terrible ordeal.
Hope you are OK

Ghis

25-02-2011 04:09 PM

Thanks for letting us know we live very close and walk there all the time.

I don't know what is going on at the moment but we are having more troubles with groups of teenagers in our street although those are closer to between 12 and 15 and local.

showtunesgirl

25-02-2011 04:55 PM

They may not necessarily be from the neighbourhood.

A few years ago my husband got mugged at the top of Ackroyd by a bunch of youths with bats and on bikes. When we reported it to the police they said that they were riding up from Peckham.

They were opportunists as he was the only person walking down there at that time which is fairly unusual.

I hope this is a one off incident and that you're ok. Good to see the folk of HOP rallying around.

bebei

25-02-2011 05:01 PM

I always walk down that road with no problems(going that way tonight!). They did say I looked like a "business" man, so I suspect there are more opportunities with the increase of young professionals moving into the area.

I was a bit shaken, but it seemed more like kids trying to impress each other than desperate criminals.

Sillyrabbit

26-02-2011 01:40 AM

Hi all,

Myself and a friend were walking past the bus stop at Duncombe Hill (going towards Honor Oak Park) and 4 youths tried to mug us. They were 2 young guys (both black) and 2 girls (1 black and 1 white).

They didn't try to hide their faces at all (except the white girl) and were basically relying on the fact that they were aggressive and thought we'd just give them our stuff.

We didn't - and I got a punch in the face for my troubles - but I didn't see why I should give some kids anything, just because they were threatening.

What made me really angry though was that some one was sat at the bus stop the whole time this was happening and didn't do or say anything.

I didn't bother reporting it as I couldn't really recognise them again (I was too busy concentrating on where I was going to smack them back).

I have lived in the area for 6 years and can't believe that this has happened. These kids were bare faced, young (14-15 max) and just thought that they could get away with it by sheer will.

Total scum.

Keep your eyes peeled.

mrcee

26-02-2011 02:07 AM

Sorry to hear about what happened when.was this ?

brian

26-02-2011 10:11 AM

What an ordeal but well done in not just giving them YOUR things.

Is this more common or just reported more ? I hope the latter.

However young these criminals are they are scum.

The Grange Gem

26-02-2011 10:52 AM

One of the problem with teenagers these days is associated with the job market. The bulk of jobs on offer to them would usually be something like a shelf stacker in a supermarket or say working in MacDonalds. In other words dead end jobs so they arte liable to think that they can make a lot more money selling drugs.

When I was aged 16 in the early 1960's there was a huge variety of jobs available to me. This variety no longer exists due to computerisation & mechanisation. The government have failed to realise this aspect.

brian

26-02-2011 11:27 AM

I do agree a lot more jobs available for youngsters in the 50's , all the more reason for them to get good qualifications.
If they are not prepared to work at school then of course they should expect they would have a lower wage job , but this is no excuse for violence .
There are two main factors , in my humble opinion to , cause problems like you have mentioned in the employment market.

1. Technology has changed the rules. Nothing can be done about this , you cannot put the clock back.

2. About 3 to 4 million immigrants let in by New Labour. They are in a lot of cases taking the unskilled jobs which are then not available to youngsters born here.

Ghis

26-02-2011 12:06 PM

You need to report it because the local police team needs to know where to send more regular patrols. Call the non emergency number and have a chat with the local team. They are very helpful. Even if you can't describe them, the team needs to know of patterns and where these things happen.

I live one street away from all these reported muggings. I walk home late at night and after 7 years of lving here it is only in the last 2/3 months that I have started to feel intimidated by groups of teenagers (not anticipating something to happen but actually having something happening).

bebei

26-02-2011 05:25 PM

I agree that you should report it regardless of the outcome. It could prevent it from happening to someone else after you. As someone mentioned in the thread, everyone taking action will show them that the community will not tolerate their actions.

nottinghillbilly

26-02-2011 10:45 PM

I agree that it is extremely important to report these things to the police
in order to make them aware where increased street patrols or suveillence (spelling bad...I knowSad) is needed.
I was mugged in West London some years ago by three youths at 4pm,
I got dragged to the ground and despite screaming my head off and being a 5ft 4inch woman people just walked by, the muggers got my handbag
and to be honest I've never quite got over it-I still freeze if I hear footsteps running up behind me, or see gangs of youths in the street.
Dont let these people get away with it, report attempted muggings and threatening behaviour-remember that young teacher who lost his life in Sydenham just a couple of weeks ago?

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields