SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Dog fouling
Nicola11

24-02-2011 11:15 AM

Is anybody else struck by the amount of dog fouling around Ackroyd Road and the streets leading onto Brockley Rise and Honor Oak Park? I moved here from East Dulwich where the streets were kept much cleaner. The Council don't seem to care that at times it is near impossible to avoid stepping on some particularly in the dark. We really like the area much more than SE22 but this problem is off putting.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davidl

24-02-2011 11:28 AM

Yup - there's been a sharp uptick recently in the amount of fresh stuff left around. I think one or two people (or, more specifically, their dogs) make a huge and visible difference on this. Wondering whether it's dogs for Christmas or just a failure to be bothered to pick up in the cold weather (or walk far enough to be in a park).

There's a lengthy discussion about it on a previous thread here.

Contact the council through the LoveLewisham website (google it) and they're generally pretty responsive, though the thread above has numerous other options.

[Admin, might be worth merging this thread into the existing one...]

Nicola11

24-02-2011 11:44 AM

thank you thats realy helpful. I wasn't aware of previous thread so some useful tips in there and am logging onto lovelewisham. I have heard from my neighbour that there are a coupke of regular offenders particularly on Bovill Road.

honoracorn

24-02-2011 12:56 PM

It is absolutely disgusting. I am so ashamed when I have visitors over and we go for a walk. Trying to negotiate a child's buggy through the streets is like doing a slalom, although my 2 year old takes a lot of pleasure in pointing out every single one. What can be done to stop it? No one is going to police the area looking for the culprits.

showtunesgirl

24-02-2011 12:57 PM

It has been pretty bad recently and I have not seen any street sweepers on our streets for quite some time.

I've now taken to walking in the middle of the street when it's dark!

Nicola11

24-02-2011 02:37 PM

I have rarely seen anyone clearing it up. We had a family party this week and it was embarrassing and brings the area down. I prefer it this side of the hill but I did find Southwark Council better for local communities.

I've reported it today and will keep doing so.

Belle

24-02-2011 04:04 PM

We live on the quiet corner of Stanstead Road and we are currently experiencing this problem too. It seems to be getting a lot worse and it's right outside our house sometimes. I can't believe people allow their dogs to do this! It is revolting. I feel like putting up a sign saying 'if your man (or women) enough to own a dog, be man enough to clean up after it!'. Probably not the best route and they probably won't care anyway but you are right that it definietly brings the area down although it's an endemic problem everywhere. V annoying! Having been inspired by this thread, I am on the phone to Lewisham now!

honoracorn

24-02-2011 04:45 PM

I'm sure if the police/council received reports of a human being going around the streets and ****ing in front of everybody's front gates, they would take it seriously, hunt them down and lock them up as a menace to society. It seems that because the culprits are four legged animals that don't know any better, it's ok and not worth doing anything about.

showtunesgirl

24-02-2011 04:58 PM

I too have left a report on the Love Lewisham website.

I would encourage everyone else to as well.

natty

24-02-2011 08:58 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I have lived all over London, but decided to buy in HOP recently. I have never lived in a place with so much dog poo everywhere, and I also agree that it is embarrassing when you walk around with friends showing your "nice" new area.

I have thought about following the culprits to their homes should they do the dirty deed in front of me (so I can get their addresses and get them charged) - but clearly, the chances of that happening are remote... Plus I may be viewed as a stalker ;o)

I will be making my complaints to the council now (thanks for the info and previous thread) - and I think many other people should so they can act on our concerns.

It will certainly make walking to and from the station a more pleasant experience... It better stop before the summer... can you imagine in flip flops!!!

oryx

24-02-2011 11:03 PM

Yes, I've noticed an upsurge in this problem recently (I'm close to Stillness Rd and walk down to the station that way quite frequently. I'm glad the evenings are getting lighter as I don't want to step in it on the way home).

Unless I've missed a trick, the council are very poor on enforcement and there are no signs detailing penalties for dog-fouling, only those stupid yellow stencils which wear off after a few months.

I wonder if councillors look at this website. I took this issue up with the council a couple of years ago but got nowhere.

I wonder what Southwark (and perhaps other boroughs) do so their streets are not as littered with dog excrement as Lewisham's.

monakot

25-02-2011 01:46 PM

It's also the same on the other side of the tracks in Devonshire Road. I have written about this in a separate thread. I was nicely surprised with my recycling bin that was out for collection being used as a dog's pissoir last Tuesday morning. Not very nice

I am going to re-report to Lewisham council.

brian

25-02-2011 01:49 PM

Surely the council are not responsible for this outrage.
I would imagine the culprits are so called trophy dog owners.
As others said it is an absolute disgrace.

oryx

25-02-2011 06:24 PM

I'd be the first to say the problem isn't actually caused by the Council and is caused by irresponsible dog owners - however, as a local authority they have responsibility for enforcement and for ensuring cleanliness of public areas like footpaths.

Unfortunately some dog-owners are too stupid, lazy and dirty to clean up after their dogs and this is where the enforcement role comes in. A few signs detailing the fines imposed might not go amiss.

Mio

25-02-2011 07:35 PM

I have recently become a dog owner. One that always picks up the puppy' solid accidents, I may add.
This has made me a lot more aware of the revolting state some of Forest Hill' streets are.
As many of you may know, dog feces are mostly a health hazard to children only. But the consequences can be tragic, with significant visual impairment and in severe cases even blindness. Google toxocariasis, if you want to know more.

I'd be happy to start something in motion to try and control this as much as possible.
Lets face it, the ignorant slobs who never pick up after their dog, will not start doing it even if we coat Forest Hill with warnings.
Some may even turn their dogs on you when confronted.

The easiest way is to ignore this mess, pardon the pun, but I would like to think we could do better.
The dog fouling act has no way of being enforced unless witnessed by a warden or CCTV.
I reckon the fines (which can go up to £1000) could easily fund any new scheme.

Apologies in advance for the rant

Miguel

Fish Face

26-02-2011 03:27 PM

I agree, Devonshire Road appears to have been a favourite 'dumping ground' recently.
I have the evidence on my shoes Sad

carpenterpaul

26-02-2011 07:23 PM

It might well not be so called trophy dog owners, i am sure that other breeds are capable of pooping without their owners cleaning up after them as well i have noticed on occasion.

Nicola11

26-02-2011 09:08 PM

I too don't think it is just trophy dog owners. It's lazy folk too. There is even more today. My children play spot the pooh now!

SoutheastEze

27-02-2011 11:17 AM

We moved to HOP in Nov 2009, renting after selling in Nunhead, to do two things: get our eldest into Stillness School and then buy here hopefully soon afterwards. We'd tried to sell for a couple of years before we decided to just sell if we got a buyer, regardless of whether we were able to find a place or not.

Our eldest has got into the school ok, though we are still renting whilst trying to buy.

We are are renting our second house in the area south of Honor Oak Park (high street). Our previous one was in the area North.

One of the main differences I have noticed is the amount of Dog mess on the streets on this side. It wasn't really something I noticed in the previous area North of Honor Oak Park and is probably the worst that i can remember having grown up in London.

I wonder if the difference between the Garthorne/Bovill/Agnew etc area in this regard is that there are more renters and split flats proportionally than the other Kilgour/Parbury/Grierson/Coutrai etc? I also think there might bne a higher proportion of homes lived in by families in the Kilgour/Parbury/Grierson side. Perhaps a lot of the foulers (if you excuse the pun) are not homeowners or do not have children so are perhaps not as aware of the health consequences or do not feel much long-term attachment to the area and its cleanliness?
Not that I'm trying to give an excuse, after all I'm a renter and if I had a dog, would be quite ashamed if I let my dog do this - i'd almost certainly pick up afterwards.

I'd be interested to hear from those who have lived in other areas of London which had similar levels of dog-mess on the streets. Perhaps there might be a pattern in the type of areas where it gets to this level and this may also give a clue as to what may be the best approach needed to solve the problem.

robin orton

27-02-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:
I would imagine the culprits are so called trophy dog owners.

Quote:
Perhaps a lot of the foulers [...] are not homeowners or do not have children so are perhaps not as aware of the health consequences or do not feel much long-term attachment to the area and its cleanliness?

English class prejudice in all its glory again! Where would this forum be without it?

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields