SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Referendum on the Alternative Vote
roz

17-04-2011 03:58 PM

I would imagine that the main advocates of yes in this referendum would be Lib Dem supporters who have spent a lot of time in the political wilderness and unfortunately due to the events of the past year seem set for a few more. Its undoubtedly true that the current system doesn't best provide proper representation of the range of views that exist which results in people having to make a choice between two parties. If I felt that it suited my political preferences I would probably vote yes too but I don't so I'm won't be. I know I'm probably entrenched in my views and if I were younger I would probably feel more passionate about embracing this change and vote yes for the general good of the nation but unfortunately I don't have enough strength of feeling to do so. I have been extremely jaded since the election and the recent scandals involving all parties and extremely dismayed of the choice of the Lib Dems to blindly support and follow Camerons' line. I therefore have no idea where the Tories end and the Lib Dems begin. My feeling is therefore to maintain the FPTP system as to me, it has occasionally got rid of the Tories and put Labour into power, and I am expecting it to do so again at some point in the future. Perhaps if the Lib Dems had made more of a positive impact or less of a negative one, and really showed that they had stood up for their values, rather than toadied up to the Tories, then my view might have been very different. Electoral reform is a bedrock of Lib Dem politics hence unfortunately it really does suffer by association with that party.

My view is that a vote for AV in the referendum would mean increasing the outcome for Lib Dems in Lewisham West etc, and despite having a lot of personal respect for our Lib Dem councillors, I'm not prepared to do that.

I'm probably therefore classifiable as the 'thicko' vote but there you have it!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Referendum on the Alternative Vote - roz - 17-04-2011 03:58 PM