SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Referendum on the Alternative Vote
michael

13-04-2011 11:15 PM

Roz wrote:
I don't want to see a repeat of the shameless governance currently in place in the UK. If you can convince me that I won't, then I'll listen to you.

This can and did happen under FPTP. You may not like the coalition, but that is the result of the FPTP system. A bit of background on the likelihood of coalitions is provided by full fact another useful article is Why AV does not necessarily produce more coalition governments. Nor does it help small parties to win more seats.

Extremists are unlikely to win seats as it requires 50% of the voters to make a positive vote for them. This actually seems quite unlikely for the BNP to gain a single seat in the UK parliament, and certainly not to have enough seats to justify them becoming part of a coalition government.

Finally I would suggest that the 'shameless governance' that exists as a result of the coalition government would only be worse if a single party was in government. It was not a coalition government that introduced the poll tax or invaded Iraq or even introduced tuition fees in the first place.

Roz wrote:
if so which version of AV are we going to get?

The version of AV that will be introduced is set out in the legislation that has been through parliament. There is not an option to vote for AV+, STV, or any other method - it is a straight choice between FPTP and AV.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Referendum on the Alternative Vote - michael - 13-04-2011 11:15 PM