SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Referendum on the Alternative Vote
roz

13-04-2011 09:15 PM

I think that this referendum is far too premature and further options and alternatives need to be put forward and considered before any referendum takes place. Few people even those with the time to pay attention to in depth discussions will know enough to be able to make an informed choice. As highlighted here there are various options for alternative voting systems that should be explored and debated. Does this referendum mean that if people opt for AV, then we are guaranteed to get AV, and if so which version of AV are we going to get? Is it going to be debated further and pulled apart by the various parties so that we get a completely different alternative voting system than what we thought we were sanctioning?

I still have mixed views. I don't with what I know feel comfortable enough to vote yes because I do not feel that 4th//5th preference votes should be counted at all, as I don't feel that those casting them have given any real consideration in that action. I think as someone has said previously, people will vote for 'change' without really understanding what they are getting into. I don't personally want to see the UK governed by a series of coalitions incorporating minority parties as this country contains a lot of extremist and polarised views. Above all, I don't want to see a repeat of the shameless governance currently in place in the UK. If you can convince me that I won't, then I'll listen to you.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Referendum on the Alternative Vote - roz - 13-04-2011 09:15 PM