SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Referendum on the Alternative Vote
michael

21-02-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:
doesn't seem to be the case currently

That depends on your view on what each party would have done without the other in coalition.
Do you think taxes would have been reduced for people earning the least if the Conservatives had an outright majority? Would Capital Gains Tax for higher rate taxpayers increased in the budget? Would trident have been renewed without a second thought? Would we continue to increase aid budget to meet the UN target? And would there be targets on universities to take more pupils from the state system if they increase tuition fees?

I think it is reasonable to assume that some of the worst excesses have been avoided even in the nine months the coalition has been in power. What I don't think you could say is that the government is being driven by the junior partner, that is simply not the way coalitions work (except in Israel).

Brian, I would agree that it would be very childish to base a referendum on the dislike of a single politician, or the government as a whole. But that is what I fear will happen, and I am not alone in this fear http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-politics-12462662

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Referendum on the Alternative Vote - michael - 21-02-2011 05:09 PM