SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Is the Bin out?
Zimmerman

19-02-2011 01:32 PM

When you now put your Put your rubbish out for the dustman. Did you ever wonder why he was called the Dustman?
The dust was from the fire grate in the houses, the raked out burnt ash and cinders from the coal fire were put in the dust bin, this was collected once a week by the Council the men then got called Dustmen.
Early days the dust cart was horse drawn, not only did they collect these very heavy iron bins they had to position a ladder to lean against the cart at each house call to climb to empty the bin. Some of this went into fields, but most was transported to the Council depot on a canal where the rubbish was tipped in to barges that was towed by a Tug to the Thames then downstream out of the Thames to deposit the rubbish out at sea.
Chris copyrite.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zimmerman

20-02-2011 09:57 PM

The Scamel three wheel Dust Cart in the foreground was similar to the grey painted one that was used as a converted Council Dustcart to an Ambulance the reason these were used was because the Dustmen could walk straight in as it was so low, so two men carrying a stretcher could carry it in.
When we were bombed out in the Blitz, we managed to dig ourselves out but my school pal was not so lucky he lived backing onto our house, he was dug out the last I ever saw of him was on that stretcher being put in the dust cart.

Triangle

22-02-2011 10:49 AM

When I lived in Honor Oak Road during the 50's and 60's I don't ever recall putting the ashes and cinders from our open fires in the dustbin. Rather, during the winter months we used to spread them onto the very steep and icy garden path leading down the side of the house to - the coal bunker!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields