SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
HOP Recreation Ground to Become a Cemetery?
Me! Me! Me!

07-03-2011 02:08 PM

"New to this forum"?
Yep! like the rest of you - admittedly, from a neighbouring postal district just over the SE23 border.

"Border"? There, there, we mustn't be tribal must we with our shared London green spaces? Next thing is we'll see all you lot from SE23 distinguished with woad smeared faces, horned hats, brandishing poop-a-scoopers and wearing T-shirts emblazoned with "HONOR OAK REC BELONGS TO US & OUR MUTTS!" (Whoops! I hope I haven't given you SE23's ideas!)
http://www.se23.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Oggie

07-03-2011 04:35 PM

After posting a reply to Me Me Me's comment on the East Dulwich Forum someone told me that Me Me Me had also had a rant on the SE23 Forum and could I share my views here too. So I have copied my comments below. (By the way, a new forum, thanks for the tip off, great stuff on it and relevant as I live nearby)

Hummm... after reading Me Me Me's post (above) I went for a walk through HOP Recreation Ground and then on to Peckham Rye Park this morning. HOP Recreation Ground had 7 dog walkers & joggers (not sure who was what) first thing this morning. PRP which is a vastly bigger area had 10 dog walkers & joggers.Had a coffee and walked back and HOP Recreation Ground had 3 adults and 5 children in the children's play area and 1 dog walker.

So in response to Me Me Me, I would strongly refute that it is a "pathetic plot"that is hardly used. During the week all the parks are certainly quiet at certain periods but HOP Recreation Ground is consistently used by all the residents at different times.

Go on Saturday morning and it is packed with children's sports teams playing on the fields - in fact it is crowded to the point that I don't go there on weekends as it is too busy for me! Would these teams be able to play on PRP or Dulwich Park which are also crowded on the weekends? I doubt there is space for additional teams.

In response to the comment: "just a boring bit of grass space with no redeemable aesthetic features, (trees, flowers, planting, etc.)" the grass space is +2 football pitches so planting around those would be silly as nothing would survive. There are no flowers around the football fields in PRP for the same obvious reasons. The border with the new bit of cemetery was horribly denuded by Southwark council when they made that new bit of cemetery and hopefully they will eventually plant something along the borders. Perhaps they will do this once Network Rail finish all their works along the rail line.

So while Me Me Me doesn't seem to appreciate HOP Recreation Ground most of the local community do!

Bumble

07-03-2011 04:39 PM

Me!Me!Me! are you for real or are you just trying to spike up a debate?

No Longer Registered

07-03-2011 04:59 PM

If I get really angry I generally find that a bit of exercise helps to calm the soul. So why not try a walk round the Honor Oak Rec? If you want to be public spirited you could also take a bag with you and pick up any litter that you find along the way.

Bumble

07-03-2011 05:01 PM

If you are for real Me!Me!Me! again there is a contradiction in your argument.

One minute you are saying the rec is full of doggie poo and the next you are saying we will be on your patch armed with poop a scoopers!
So make up your mind how can the rec be full of doggie doings if we are all carrying poop a scoopers?

Save HOP

07-03-2011 06:33 PM

Let's move the debate on and talk about the 100+ young people a local football club have there on a Saturday morning. A great sight is to be seen there between 10-12pm every week. Where will they go if the rec was to be shut!!!?

Me! Me! Me!

07-03-2011 07:26 PM

I see I have been knocked off this thread. Is it because I had a contrary, provocative view on the Rec?

Me! Me! Me!

07-03-2011 07:28 PM

Well...I wasn't there when I checked and posted just now immediately above. Wot's going on?

mljay

07-03-2011 07:33 PM

@ Me!Me!Me.... it is because you come across like a troll.

If you were defending the need for burial space that would be one thing but you obviously just came on the site to be contrary and provocative just for kicks.

Bumble

12-03-2011 04:17 PM

Just an update on the petition,so far 1,469 names have been collected and it is going so well that a new goal has been set to collect 2000 names (before it was 1,500)

So keep on signing and don't forget the Southwark cabinet are meeting on the 22nd of March so this is a really important week to contact ministers (full list on blogspot) and to get your voice heard!

Go forth and spread the good word,we need our green space!

Bumble

14-03-2011 08:58 PM

Well done, keep on signing! Wow

PaperBagBadger

20-03-2011 07:58 PM

The e-petition is over 1500 now including Joan Ruddock, MP Lewisham Deptford. Join those who have already signed and help it grow!

It is probably a good time to collect the completed paper petitions. If you have asked a shop/cafe/community group/etc to have one for signing, could you please collect them and take them to Dave Stephens at the coffee shop at Honor Oak station.

The Cabinet meeting to discuss burial options has been postponed to 19 April. Why?
The comprehensive burial audit taking longer than expected?
Long term, sustainable options being put together which do not include the use of the Rec?
Meaningful discussions, liaison and planning happening between neighbouring boroughs?
A realisation of the importance of local green space in our city and the need for its protection?
Or to have a consultation period that includes the Easter and Royal wedding holiday periods?!

But it means that there is still time before the Cabinet meeting to let the those key councillors know before their meeting what you think -
email names and addresses on the blog!

Your opinion counts and it means that you will be included in any future consultation, so do it today please!
friends of honor oak rec blog

People power enabled One Tree Hill to be the open green space it is today:

history of one tree hill p12

PaperBagBadger

28-03-2011 08:53 AM

Steve Bullock, mayor of Lewisham, met with Peter John, leader of Southwark Council last week.

The mayor shared the concerns of residents about the potential use of the Rec for burial.
Cllr John reassured the mayor that Southwark are reviewing this issue and that there are no immediate plans to use the Rec for burial.
They also agreed to work together on longer term solutions to the limited burial space in Lewisham and Southwark.

So, a cross borough meeting and while hopeful, this falls a long way short of a definite commitment from Southwark Council to safeguard the Rec for ever.
The campaign goes on!

Check out the blog for updates:
http://honoroakparkrecreationground.blogspot.com/

PaperBagBadger

08-04-2011 08:57 PM

The Southwark cabinet meeting to discuss burial options is approaching fast:
Tuesday 19 April at Southwark Town Hall, Peckham Road, Camberwell, SE5 8UB
Come on down to the Town Hall between 3.30 and 4.30 to lobby outside if you can!
Bring placards, friends, kids to help the cabinet members realise how much this green space means to you.

If you need convincing, Hillfielders football club have made a brilliant film about how they use the Rec and how vital it is for them.

Watch it and be moved:
Hillyfielders football club film - awesome!

Keep signing the petition and spreading the word!

PaperBagBadger

08-04-2011 10:37 PM

Sorry - the link above doesn't work, this one will
Hillyfielders Football Club film

Bumble

17-04-2011 09:36 PM

Thanks to all who have signed the petition so far.On Tuesday along with the paper petitions,this will be handed in to the cabinet ministers and deputations to speak from Friends of Honor Oak Rec,Fairlawn School,Hillyfielders and Friends of Peckham Rye Park.So if you are free on the 19th,please go down to Southwark Town Hall at 3:30 and show your support!

The rec is no longer a short term option,rather space will now be found in Camberwell New and Old cemeteries with Nunhead no longer being used for new burial plots.
However the rec is still an option in the long run and this is why it is still important to continue your support!

Southwark have said the campaign has been very effective and they are now leading a London wide initiative to see how burial space can be created and shared across the capital.

So well done everyone,you have just played a part in history and the way burials will be conducted in London in the future.

Our rec is going to be the start of a new burial revolution because of us locals!

Bumble

26-04-2011 09:51 PM

Hello everyone,just an update on the rec.

At the Southwark cabinet meeting last week there was a small victory for the rec!
Barrie Hargrove (Southwark Cabinet Environment Minister) said although the use of the rec is still a long term option,it is the least preferred option out of those to be consulted on.
This is good news but we must keep our foot on the campaign pedal!

There will now follow a consultation although in Southwark this will be borough wide,in Lewisham this will only include those who live 0.5 km of the cemeteries. Friends of Honor Oak Rec have asked for this to be extended and also for the questionnaire to be put in Lewisham Life because at the moment it will just be in Southwark Life. Therefore please contact Southwark via their website and state your concerns over the Lewisham consultation area.
You can also fill in the questionnaire on the Southwark website,so keep your eyes out for it to appear.
Remember the information you give, will help save the rec as green space for all to enjoy!

Bumble

03-05-2011 01:22 PM

Hello everyone, just to say no news on the consultation as yet but there is another mystery questionnaire doing the rounds but the information collected is not being used for the consultation (we are told) instead Southwark want to find out if people come to use the rec or to visit graves only.
Now not one person I have spoken to has been asked to fill in one of these questionnaires despite people being employed to do so,at different times of the week and at different times during the day!

So if you fancy a walk please go to the cemetery office and pop in and obtain a mystery questionnaire.
If you are unsure where the office is, go throug the big gates (Brenchley Gardens entrance) and head towards the arch,before you reach it,turn right and you will find the big double wooden doors,these will lead you into the very nice,glass,open plan office.
However please note,the office is closed at weekends!

It is important to show people do come just to use the rec,more in number compared to people who attend graves!

Bumble

14-05-2011 11:58 PM

Just to say in Monday's Times (16th May) there is a feature on burial shortage and the role the Rec is playing in changing the way burial space in London will be found and used in the future.
As you know this campaign is not only about saving the rec because in doing so, we need to bring about a change in the way burials are conducted so people will still have the choice of having a local burial.

Taking more and more land is not the answer and just creates more problems,we need to see a change in the way burials are done now!

For far too long we have watched while our cemeteries have become neglected places and a magnet for crime,to such an extent people no longer feel safe to visit loved ones on their own!

By re-using graves over 75 year's of age,much needed investment would be made and if you parden the pun,give cemeteries a new lease of life.

So our Rec is the start of a burial revolution and by signing the petition and taking part in the burial consultation you have made your place in history!

Bumble

16-05-2011 11:32 PM

Sorry if anyone spent their pound today but the Rec campaign and the call for burial re-use will be in The Times tomorrow (17th May) and not the 16th as said in the earlier post.

All the best revolutions have glinches but this should make very interesting reading indeed!

Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields