SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
HOP Recreation Ground to Become a Cemetery?
Bumble

22-02-2011 11:38 PM

Well done to all those who have signed the e-petition,we have reached 1000 votes so far and we are only in the second week!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenGrass

23-02-2011 10:01 AM

Check out the Friends of Honor Oak Park Recreation Ground blog to read and see clips from BBC London News and listen to the Radio 4 piece.
http://honoroakparkrecreationground.blogspot.com/

There is also a thread running on East Dulwich forum for our Southwark fiends!
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...p?5,626481
prevously:
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...msg-626472

michael

23-02-2011 10:19 AM

languagelounger on EDF wrote:
In 1955 the then Minister for Local Government was absolutely clear that this space should never be used for burials. It should, he said, become the Hampstead Heath of south London. What may have been thought in the 19th century, when the land was used for burials because it was then in the middle of the countryside, is completely irrelevant now.

I'm curious to know why Southwark is still persisting with this totally outdated and discredited attempt to close down an inner city public recreation space and use it for burials. No other council in the land is doing this, the cemetery managers' professional body had concluded it is definitely not the solution and central government is promoting increased use of open space in the inner city as a health essential.

Please bear in mind too that Southwark has already taken two big chunks of land from this space for burials. When they took the first tranche of Honor Oak Rec in 1991, they said that there would be no call to ask for more land within the lifetimes of anyone present at the council meeting. And they told the same story again when they came back for the next bit. They are now on track to use up the whole site within 30 years, gone forever, if we are daft enough to let them get away with it.

Clearly Southwark council have twice proven that the views of the Minister for Local Government in 1955 are no longer relevant as a planning consideration, but it is sad to see recreation space used for burial instead. As Roz says, this is similar to the plans to move the swimming pool to Willow Way, funded by housing on the site of Forest Hill pool, only there is no plan for new green space, or housing, only dead people are welcome.

GreenGrass

23-02-2011 01:57 PM

check this thread out on East Dulwich forum as well as one of the ones above doesn't work:
Save Honor Oak Recreation Ground - Stop Southwark turning our park into a Cemetery
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...msg-626619

and this earlier one,
Save Honor Oak Park Recreation ground
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...msg-626472

Bumble

25-02-2011 05:17 PM

Did anyone see in the South London Press today Barrie Hargrove (cabinet member for environment) being described as a 'nature lover' (page 3 about a little owl being spotted in Belair Park)

I am confused is this the same Barrie Hargrove who wants to dig up our green space and disturb wildlife for burial ground..........I think so!

Cllr John Bowen

25-02-2011 05:21 PM

Hi all,

I think the petition by the Friends of Honor Oak Recreation Ground draws attention to the communities need for this vital green space. Councillors Philip Peake, Alex Feakes and myself have been petitioning door-to-door on this issue and I just want to inform you that I have put forward the following motion for the next Lewisham Council meeting (1st March), to be seconded by Phil:

The London Borough of Southwark is considering taking land from the Honor Oak Recreation Ground in order to expand Camberwell New Cemetery. The Recreation Ground is much used by residents of Forest Hill and Honor Oak, as well as Southwark residents, and the plan under consideration could result in considerable loss of local amenity and leisure space.

This council notes that the Recreation Ground has already had a substantial proportion of its original land taken in by the cemetery, and that other options are available for managing demand for burial space.

This council states its opposition to the further loss of amenity and leisure space at Honor Oak Recreation Ground and, notwithstanding any statutory consultation that may occur, calls on the Mayor to make representations to London Borough of Southwark to this effect.

Kind regards,

John (Liberal Democrats, Crofton Park Ward)

PaperBagBadger

27-02-2011 01:54 PM

Good news!
Let your Lewisham councillors know you think!
e-petition signatures have now reached well over a thousand.

Check out the blog to see all the media coverage and more:

Southwark council meeting 'for consultation options for future service strategy for Southwark cemeteries' now at the end of March.
Let the Southwark councillors know what you think!

If anyone can find out more about this meeting, let's hear it!

Tezzyd

02-03-2011 08:27 PM

This makes me sick, Our one bit of recreation ground and they want to use it as a cemetary stating they are running out of room. Whats the matter with using some of Burgess, Dulwich or even Southwark park as there is a lot more space in all of these, and Burgess is about to get a revamp, Maybe because that would upset the southwark council residence?

It seems to me that because Honor Oak is right out of the way, no one in southwark would be put out, and we don't matter to them.MadMad

roz

02-03-2011 09:00 PM

I think that last statement hits it on the head really. Generally boroughs will consider their position and opt for the path of the least resistance when trying to get something relatively unpopular through. Its reasonable to assume that someone has done their homework and felt that taking this land will impact on Southwark voters less than anywhere else might do. Not sure how to overcome that.

michael

03-03-2011 01:30 PM

Cllr Bowen's motion at Lewisham council was passed unanimously.

http://honoroakparkrecreationground.blog...e-rec.html

It is good to know that the council is clear in backing the views of local residents on this matter.

ruthb

03-03-2011 06:36 PM

A little piece about the campaign in this weeks Time Out mag - in the front news pages...

PaperBagBadger

05-03-2011 11:45 PM

Has anyone got any old photos of the Rec from the 60s which they would like to share please?
Would like to try and chronicle the changes ......

GreenGrass

06-03-2011 12:37 PM

Friends of Honor Oak Rec need people to write to Barrie Hargrove and the other Southwark Cabinet members to tell them why the Rec is so important to them and the community.

There is a Southwark Cabinet meeting on 22 March where decisions will be made on burial options so please write now! We are promised consultation but so many believe that using the Rec for burial should not be one of those options.

Details of names and email addresses of Cabinet members on the blog:

Me! Me! Me!

06-03-2011 11:45 PM

Wot's the fuss about a bit of 'reserved cemetery land' mostly taken over and used presently as a dog toilet and altogether mutt's grubbing ground, being reclaimed back to the respectful usage it was originally intended? I woz gob-smacked to learn such an unkempt, unattractive stretch of green devoid of any aesthetic re trees, paths, wildlife, etc. has a bunch of local devotees wanting to befriend it. Had they really been 'friends' surely, they would have long ago planted spring bulbs, dug in fruit trees, scattered wild-flower seeds and much besides.

suchalife

07-03-2011 10:24 AM

ME!ME!ME!
The name says it all!
When you have a 1000 people there will always be one village/community fool who hasn't got the facts right!

CommunityMinded

07-03-2011 10:29 AM

Fruit trees and daffodils aren't ideal on a playing field that is in constant use by local football teams. All open spaces should be valued, particularly if they offer such a variety of amenities to the local community ie a playground, playing fields, tennis courts and a football cage.

Redalways

07-03-2011 10:54 AM

LOL. New here are you ?

CommunityMinded

07-03-2011 11:43 AM

New on the forum, not in the area.

Bumble

07-03-2011 01:08 PM

Oh dear! look like me!me!me is having a temper tantrum,where's your angry smiley?

Bumble

07-03-2011 01:58 PM

Actually Me!Me!Me! you do bring up a good point about the lack of money spent on the recreation ground over the years but it's unfair to say there have been no friends of the rec in the past.
The problem has been Southwark who have especially in the past few years spent less and less on the rec because they wish to take it for burial ground. The less the land is used,the less people will object!

Also your argument does contain a contradiction.The rec is not devoid of wildlife, I once saw a squirrel up a tree eating a packet of polo's (true fact).I wish I had taken a picture now it would had been wonderful to use for the campaign.
However on a serious note there is plenty of wildlife, especially over by the tennis courts so if that's important to you why are you for digging up the rec and disturbing it?

Pages (10): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields