SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Did anyone here go to school in Forest Hill or HOP
multisync

02-02-2008 09:44 AM

I was in Austen house anyone remember Miss Roberts and MsZacerwitz

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sandy67

03-02-2008 12:21 AM

multisync wrote:
I was in Austen house anyone remember Miss Roberts and MsZacerwitz

mrs zackerwich was scarey

david holtham

03-02-2008 03:42 AM

i went to the hill school for girls.47 honor ok road next to a little white bungalow which my father built for 3700 pounds back in 1953.it was opposite some police flats,anyway the headmistress was a miss jamison she was knocking around with a defrocked priest who had been stealing funds from another school,i think it was st andrews college in catford ,they made the front page of the sunday pictorial i think it was and he was sent back to the crowbar hotel for a few more years.fredie mills the boxer sent his daughter there for a while as did ann shelton big during the war years.it wasnt easy being a boy and having to wear a pink blazer,why didnt they just named me sue and be done with it ,a strange start to life for sure,best wishes from calgary canada david

shzl400

03-02-2008 12:43 PM

david holtham wrote:
best wishes from calgary canada david

Wow!! se23.com goes international!! I'm amazed how this site has really taken off since October. I guess we owe a big vote of thanks to admin!

Triangle

05-02-2008 03:44 PM

david holtham wrote:
i went to the hill school for girls.47 honor ok road next to a little white bungalow which my father built for 3700 pounds back in 1953.it was opposite some police flats,anyway the headmistress was a miss jamison she was knocking around with a defrocked priest who had been stealing funds from another school,i think it was st andrews college in catford ,they made the front page of the sunday pictorial i think it was and he was sent back to the crowbar hotel for a few more years.fredie mills the boxer sent his daughter there for a while as did ann shelton big during the war years.it wasnt easy being a boy and having to wear a pink blazer,why didnt they just named me sue and be done with it ,a strange start to life for sure,best wishes from calgary canada david

I can just about remember on occasion seeing Freddie Mills (who was later murdered) turning up in his big car (I think it was a Jaguar) to collect his daughter from the school. Yes, pink blazers! I can also remember the bungalow which I recall was set back further from the road than the school next door with a fairly long lawn leading down to it. I guess it must have been built where a much larger house once stood. The police flats opposite were (are still?) called Havelock House.

Triangle

07-02-2008 11:59 AM

Further to David Holtham's comments about the girls school that used to be at 47 Honor Oak Road SE23, in my subsequent comments about the late Freddie Mills (boxer) who used to take his daughter to the school, I mentioned that he was murdered. I should perhaps add that the official cause of death was deemed to be suicide, (he was found shot dead in his car) although this has been disputed and there are several theories surrounding the circumstances of his death.

In his day, he was a very popular and successful boxer and in 1948 he became the light heavyweight champion of the world. His grave is in Camberwell New Cemetery in Brenchley Gardens SE23.

David also mentioned in his post that Anne Shelton visited the school. For those too young to know, Anne was a British singing star of the 40's and 50's and could on occasion be seen in and around SE23. I recall that she actually lived in Dulwich.

PSJarrett

11-02-2008 04:35 PM

I have just read all this. I am much older than most of you: Elliot Bank 1965-72, Sydenham 1972-79. My sister and sister-in-law also went to Sydenham. I was in Austen (yellow). Eileen Davies, the Housemistress, died last summer. I also remember Mrs Zacherwich (she was very deaf, which is probably why some found her scary - she could not listen!). I still exchange Christmas cards with Miss Roberts (who did scare me at first, but was great).

My daughter is now in year 8 there. They are only 1400 girls (1750 in my day), and they do not have houses, but the year heads move up with them and know the girls in the way that housemistresses used to. She seems to do loads of out of school activities, I am always completing a permission slip for her to participate in something.

My brother and brother-in-law went to Forest Hill, and I hope my son will too. I know they still have houses, because I still see the coloured strips on their blazer pockets. Inevitably, by sheer force of numbers they crowd the pavements when they come out, but I only have to say "excuse me" and they part to let me through without a murmer.

I know Peter Walsh is a legend in his own lifetime: that is why we invited him to chair the inaugural meeting of the Forest Hill Society!

michael

11-02-2008 04:47 PM

I saw Graham Agnew (headteacher prior to Pete Walsh) last week, he still lives in the area, but I didn't get a chance to speak to him as we were listening to the plans for the pools.

I could tell you some stories about Walsh but best not to ask what he kept in his cupboard!

multisync

11-02-2008 05:16 PM

PSJarrett wrote:
I have just read all this. I am much older than most of you: Elliot Bank 1965-72, Sydenham 1972-79. My sister and sister-in-law also went to Sydenham. I was in Austen (yellow). Eileen Davies, the Housemistress, died last summer. I also remember Mrs Zacherwich (she was very deaf, which is probably why some found her scary - she could not listen!). I still exchange Christmas cards with Miss Roberts (who did scare me at first, but was great).

I Am even older than you,Elliot Bank 1958-64 (Iwas there for there 1st birthday} Sydenham 1964-69,also Austen,Miss Pinnock
was my housemistress then got married don't remember her name ,Miss Love was headmistress when I started,when she left Mrs Zacherwich took over.Mrs Parker taught me French she was loveley,Mrs Stammers taught me German and Ms Disney,Russian.Geography and Art classes were held on the top floor which gave awonderful vista over the area.Cookery was on the next floor down with each room having a small flat attatched.Then you went to the "old building" for your second and third year as they were then loveley hall but the cloakrooms were a bit spooky good for a puff on a cigarette and ghost stories.

brian

11-02-2008 05:20 PM

I went to St Philips Infants ( in Wells Pk Rd now a youth centre )
then St Barts ( then in Kirkdale ) anyone remember Mr Williams and Miss Coggin
then Forest Hill Boys

brian

13-02-2008 03:10 PM

Went to St Philips ( Wells Pk Rd ) Infants from about 55 to 57. Olive Nash was Headmistress and used to bring her Poodle to classes.
Then St Barts which was then in Kirkdale from 57 to 60 . Mr Bleasdale was Head. Mr Williams was then about 75 and very excentric also Miss Coggin deserves a mention.
Then Forest Hill Boys from 60 to 66. In Drake House. Mr Ashby most memorable teacher

Triangle

14-02-2008 10:40 AM

FHB's school. I was in (Drake House) tutor group D2, tutor master was Ernie Hemmings, house master was A.S.Boone. Mr Ashby, the name rings bells, I think he taught me too. I can recall having a very stern history teacher.

Sandy67

14-02-2008 11:56 AM

multisync wrote:

PSJarrett wrote:

I Am even older than you,Elliot Bank 1958-64 (Iwas there for there 1st birthday} Sydenham 1964-69,also Austen,Miss Pinnock
was my housemistress then got married don't remember her name ,Miss Love was headmistress when I started,when she left Mrs Zacherwich took over.Mrs Parker taught me French she was loveley,Mrs Stammers taught me German and Ms Disney,Russian.Geography and Art classes were held on the top floor which gave awonderful vista over the area.Cookery was on the next floor down with each room having a small flat attatched.Then you went to the "old building" for your second and third year as they were then loveley hall but the cloakrooms were a bit spooky good for a puff on a cigarette and ghost stories.

Ms Disney taught me French Scared

brian

14-02-2008 03:36 PM

I went to St Philips Infants from 55 to 57. Olive Nash was head and brought her poodle into some classes.
Then to St Barts , then in Kirkdale from 57 to 60. Mr Williams and Miss Coggin most memorable taechers
Finally Forest Hill , Dacres Rd. Mr Ashby most memorable teacher

Scorpion

14-02-2008 04:34 PM

I must add my support to FH School, as expressed by many on here. Peter Walsh definitely runs that school extremely well, along with many "diamond" staff members.
A few years ago, when my boys were much younger, I dreaded the thought of them going there (heresay etc. from others) but since they have been there, I have nothing but praise for the overall running of things. I think it helps that many of the staff actually live within the area (or fairly local)
In my personal experience, they are very good at communicating with parents,especially if you have personal concerns and now that the school has been re-built/upgraded I feel that things will only improve even further (at the benefit of the local community too, may I add)

Full of praise and thankful/lucky that my boys have a good education and caring over-seer-ship (?) there, at state school level (there has never been the option of going private, for us)

brian

14-02-2008 04:50 PM

Hello Triangle
I well remember Mr Hemmings woodwork I think. Yes Mr Ashby was a very stern History Teacher but loved his subject. Cannot not remember which Tutor Group but Tutour Master a very nice man called Mr Novotny.

Do you remember Mr Nage who taught , or attempted to teach , history.

What years were you there

Triangle

15-02-2008 08:58 AM

I was at FHB's from 1965 until 1970. Yes, our tutor master, Mr Hemmings taught woodwork. He could often be seen wearing a white lab coat. Mr Ashby could be quite fearsome but really good at History! I recall we didn't "mess about" with Ashby! I remember the faces of several other teachers but am struggling with their names. "Taff" Davies was the sports teacher who took us in the gym.

brian

15-02-2008 01:43 PM

Hi Triangle

You are about 5 years younger than me. Yes Taffy Davis was PE Teacher along with Mr Haswell. Taffy was in Drake which was a pain if we caught you walking at cross country ( which I tried to do all the same ) Sports were at Sidcup ( on A20 ) and a nasty journey to and from on smelly Maggoo's buses
Remember Mr Stanbury ( SCIENCE ) Mr Johnson ( German ) and who can forget the Deputy Head Dr Babcock ( responsible for all canings )

Triangle

15-02-2008 03:14 PM

Brian and FHB's School.

I think Mr Haswell was (or became) house master of Shackelton. (Green ribbon on blazer) Yes, old double decker buses taking us to the sports fields for cross country along the Sidcup Bypass and then through the (very muddy) woods. I think it was the fear of "Taff" Davies that drove me to the finish! For a couple of days afterwards, I could hardly go up and down stairs because my legs ached so much...

I do remember Dr Babcock when I first started, he had quite a fearsome reputation, but I think he left and then Stanbury took over the role of Deputy head. Potter was headmaster for the duration of my attendance. I know that Stanbury went on several visits to the Galapagos Islands (quite something then) because he would tell us all about his travelling tales during assembly. Actually, FHB's went on some really good house camps then including to the USA and Russia.

I was never taught by Mr Johnson because I did French rather than German and my french teacher was actually... french! We struggled with the french and she struggled with the english... it made for "interesting" lessons to say the least. Not quite sure who ended up teaching who.

We had a Mr Howes for Drama. We called him "Bunny" Howes because of his "Bugs" like front teeth. He was a tolerant sort of man, which was just as well really because none of us took drama the least bit seriously!

Also used to do cycling at Herne Hill (banked) cycle track... fixed wheel and no brakes! We had some horrendous pile ups...

Happy days eh?

david holtham

02-03-2008 06:37 AM

Thanks for the info.He was alright was old freddie,being a kid i was fascinated by his cauliflower ears magnificent they were,why that was back in the days when a man would carry the scars of his trade with pride no cosmetic surgery for those boys.he certainly deserved a better fate,and ann shelton was not cheap i can remember miss jamison falling over her words thank you thank you oh thank ann shelton for a most generous contribution to the schools chosen charities,i can still see that little priest standing at the edge of the stage rubbing his greedy little hands together England was a strange place back then,a place where they would look at your shoes first and your face last.best regards

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  St. Francesca Cabrini primary school may close permanently (Forest Hill Road) samuelsen 0 2,899 21-05-2022 07:12 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Forest Hill School Horniman 54 87,203 20-03-2022 10:13 PM
Last Post: Zandonai
  Forest Hill Comprehensive School 1960 - 1965 taxi1950 2 7,072 10-01-2020 06:29 PM
Last Post: Perry Streer
  Forest Hill School 1974 richierich 1 6,601 28-06-2018 04:40 PM
Last Post: ShaulRichard
  Boy asking for sponsorship from Forest Hill Boys School FHParent 5 7,265 03-05-2018 09:04 AM
Last Post: Pico
  Forest Hill School Ex-Pupils Dithers88 1 6,022 31-10-2017 09:18 PM
Last Post: Mr Robin Banks
  Forest Hill School in Trouble hillview 0 4,578 19-07-2017 10:39 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest hill boys secondary school assaults Iheartsydenham 20 22,717 01-06-2016 02:48 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Forest Hill School: petition to stop it being forced to become an academy blushingsnail 3 6,407 12-05-2016 12:35 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Sainsburys Forest Hill School Children Ban shzl400 75 59,898 28-12-2015 05:00 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Forest Hill Boys School Fundraising for Evelina Childrens Hospital P1971 0 3,703 08-07-2015 07:49 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Teachers Strike at Forest Hill Primary School Deano 6 10,064 13-10-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: lacb
  Forest Hill School 'Connected' Family Learning Event Call Out cpa 0 4,428 21-05-2013 01:12 PM
Last Post: cpa
  Fairlawn School takes part in Healthy Eating Week with Sainsbury’s Forest Hill hrmforesthill 6 10,298 05-07-2012 10:12 PM
Last Post: Deano
  Forest Hill School's Outdoor Centre (Aber) GrahamAgnew 0 7,785 22-12-2011 10:57 AM
Last Post: GrahamAgnew
  Nearly New Sale - Horniman Primary School, Forest Hill BakingMummy 5 9,152 16-10-2010 09:39 AM
Last Post: BakingMummy
  Forest Hill School - Performing Arts Survey SLK 10 15,287 06-08-2010 02:21 PM
Last Post: junegapi
  Note to Former Forest Hill School Children who visited Ty'n y Berth Widehorizons 0 4,667 29-06-2009 08:10 AM
Last Post: Widehorizons
  Forest Hill Central School brian 2 8,191 06-03-2008 01:42 PM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming