SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Prisoners Getting The Vote
ForestHillier

14-02-2011 02:42 PM

Where did I say we should bring back the death penalty, I did quite like you post with reagrds to people who are commited of crimes like what happened in Penge dont getto vote

Yes we should all wait and see why the culprit did stab this person to death, yet it does very much look like a robbery that went wrong

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

14-02-2011 02:52 PM

My apologies. I'm glad that you don't want to reintroduce the death penalty like some on Sydenham Forum today. I'm still concerned about your attempts to send people to prison for all crimes, including my two convictions for speeding.

I'm glad you like the idea of only murders losing their right to vote while in prison, and the ECHR ruling does not exclude this possibility. What it does not accept is a blanket ban on all prisioners from voting.

ForestHillier

14-02-2011 02:59 PM

In hindsight, do think that people in prison for petty offences maybe should be allowed to vote, did read somewhere that someone asked what about a woman or man for that, who has been the victim of abuse for many years and then could take no more, flipped and commited a crime, do thye lose their vote, after all the arguments for, I, starting to think that maybe we should let some leeway for some

I do totally agree about the death penalty as you need to be cast iron certain before pulling the leaverm, then surely there will always be doubt, and the person who pulls the leaver, are they then not murderers

Apogolies for the long maybe winded post

DerbyHillTop

14-02-2011 03:03 PM

For every robbery that goes wrong there is 1.5 cases of domestic abuse that go wrong.

I can't see why punishment for a crime should include loss of a right to vote. I understand it is historic, but historic was that women did not have a vote. Casting a vote can’t harm a democracy, but having exclusions from giving the right can.

What is a greater danger: allowing vote to all or combating voting apathy?

michael

14-02-2011 04:20 PM

ForestHillier,
I'm glad that you are coming round to the idea of limited voting for prisoners. Perhaps the 'do-gooders' aren't always wrong?

I wish that MPs had bothered to have a reasonable discussion with open minds, rather than voting out of cowardice for a policy that may be unpopular but is fundimentally sound.

ECHR ruled against a blanket ban on prisoners voting. By refusing to abide by the decision of a court established through international treaty, the majority in parliament are criminals refusing to abide by the decision of the courts. And we know what to do with criminals, throw them in prison and take away their right to vote!

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields