SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
moving to FH, primary school and general info
movingsouth

08-02-2011 10:04 AM

Hi
I have been looking to move to a different area where I can afford a 2 bed garden flat after selling my 1 bed flat in a more central area of London who is - apparently - getting trendy. After many sleepless night dragging around london map the only place I feel drawn toward is... your lovely Forest Hill / Honor Oak areas.
As any typically north of the river person my friends are looking suspiciously at my decision but I have a very good feeling indeed. I have looked at image galleries of the breath taking One Tree Hill and Horniman Museum and I feel I have been missing out.
Anyway first thing first. I need to find my lovely 6 yr old son a decent state school. We are currently leaving abroad so his english is not that great, he will have plenty of catching up to do. I am not after the one school everybody wants to get to (still if someone can point me out which one it is so I will know no point in applying!) but a lovely local where children are happy learning and teacher are trained with easl pupils.
I am more the arty/creative type so a school with music, art, and other fun activities would be great
Thinking about the future I have read that Bromley have great secondary schools, but by all means suggest any local secondary
I do not think I can afford private education, well actually I know I cant...so I will not be looking into that but if you feel that it is crucial please let me know
I do not know anybody whatsoever in the area. Is it kind of friendly? I am a private type of person but also sociable and would love to get involved in local community and activities. We are a small family of 2
If you can tell me which part is nice/safe for single mum + child, name of streets most appreciate. We will have a car, but I do not plan to use it weekdays.
And last question, where people leaving in SE23 tend to work?
Sorry about the length of my post but I am so excited and cannot wait to be back to the uk and start exploring the area. I will need to move pretty fast and apply for school so any info is very much appreciated
Looking forward to hearing from you

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

08-02-2011 10:30 AM

Hi MovingSouth,

I dont think you'd be disappointed by a move to Forest Hill, it'd make a great choice for you and your son.

In terms of schools I'm guessing they are all over-subscribed (or close to it) but that doesn't mean you wouldn't get a place. There are a large number of good primary schools; top of the list is probably Fairlawn (fairly close to the museum) but others are not far behind. Horniman School (even closer to the museum) probably meets your requirements best as it prides itself on the creative activities it provides but still maintains a good level of academic achievement. The school is small (one form per year) but there is movement so places do come up (I think year one might even be just below its maximum class size at the moment).

If you can afford it I would say that you'd do best to search for a flat on the Horniman Museum side of the railway line as that positions you well for a number of good primary schools, close to the shops and station and you have the museum, play park, Dulwich Woods etc nearby.

Good luck.

brian

08-02-2011 10:50 AM

Yes I agree with IWAF.

The Horniman's side of the track is a big divide in SE23. There is only 1 road crossing in 2 miles and one footbridge known as The German Bridge.

You asked also about where people gain employment . I think I saw a survey of London Boroughs a couple of years ago and it said Lewisham had the biggest % of the working population travelling outside the Borough to work.
Train and Bus services are good which is a plus factor.
A large number work in The City or Docklands.
Not sure what your line of work is so cannot really advise more.

Good luck in your move,

michael

08-02-2011 11:09 AM

We should not forget about the Honor Oak Park area, which is close to Stillness and Dalmain - both very good schools. As are others in the area, including my old school Eliot Bank, which is on the Sydenham border.
Basically, there is no shortage of 'good' and 'excellent' state primary schools in the local area.

If you are looking for a 2 bed garden flat then I think looking in the Honor Oak Park or Perry Vale area (west of the railway) are just as good, although the museum and future swimming pool is a little further away.

movingsouth

08-02-2011 11:09 AM

thanx IWAF (why were you fuming anyway?)
Fairlawn was the first school that caught my eyes but on their website its states. I did not realise Horniman had a School too. Looks lovely. Any parents around with kids there???
Any feedback on Eliot Bank Primary School ? Is it still considered Forest Hill?

Brian thank you, I am looking at the map and the railway divide, does this reflect also property prices?
I am going to ask a question only a ''northener'' can, is Brockley a different post code / type of area all together or do they merge into each other with Honor Park. Hey I have been to a bbq in Brockley once (blushing) It seems a nice area to but are good schools available?
Brian I have a Art and Design degree, worked in design but also did some teaching. EC1 is where I could/should be working as well as West End, commuting seems ok? asking for reassurance
I would love to work locally really, but according to what you say appear a far fetched option
Any local art/graphic studios you know of?

movingsouth

08-02-2011 11:12 AM

Michael x posted with you as you mentioned the school
Would Honor Park be a teeny weeny cheaper?
Your positive feedback about school is all very encouraging, keep it coming

Londondrz

08-02-2011 11:14 AM

Hi MS, my daughter goes to Horniman School and loves it. She has gained a great circle of friends and we as her parents have done the same. The school just has a really good feel to it.

movingsouth

08-02-2011 11:19 AM

looking at map, Perry Vale is on the east side of the railway track is it not?
Is it the area where Mayow Park is? Confused

DerbyHillTop

08-02-2011 11:24 AM

for art look at Havelock walk.

Local artists have row of houses used as work / live units. Some units are rented.

The new line has really opened possibilities for easy travel. My hubby gets to his office in West End in 45-50 minutes.

I consider Elliott Bank to be in Forest Hill and feel quite lucky that my daughters will go there.

michael

08-02-2011 11:43 AM

MS,
Forest Hill, Honor Oak and Brockley all have distinctive centres and are slightly different, but merge into each other (just like Camden, Chalk Farm, and Kentish Town to give you a north London example).
You will find a variety of property prices in the are but generally speaking the further towards Catford you go, the cheaper the price, but the difference is not huge and is probably more about the quality of the individual flat.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

08-02-2011 11:45 AM

Upmystreet is a good way to find out some basics about an area. Primary Schools for instance

I also have a child at Horniman Primary school and we're more than happy with it. We've got friends at lots of the other schools who are equally pleased with their schools too.

movingsouth

08-02-2011 12:32 PM

It has been a productive morning thanx you all
I 'll write to schools to arrange a visit (it will be a IN-Year application so the sooner the better)
1) Horniman
2) Elliot Bank
3) Fairlawn
4) Dalmain
(do you normally take the child with you?)
then I shall draw the are within school and look at properties to rent from May/June onward

Sale of my own and new buy will come eventually, cant do it all at once...me think. Is this a good plan?

Elizabeth25

08-02-2011 12:43 PM

Just putting my two-cents in about the Perry Vale side (the 'other' side of the tracks). Served by Kilmorie and Perrymont schools. Lovely, safe, neighborly areas as well. Been there eight years. Smile

movingsouth

08-02-2011 03:48 PM

thanx Elisabeth for speaking out for the east side (did I call the east the ''other'' btw? Quite intrigued by the all concept of it all tbh, hard to envisage if you haven't been there)
I will add your recommendations. Do you have children at school yourself?

Elizabeth25

08-02-2011 09:08 PM

Yep, our 6 year old is at Perrymont. It's a nice little school.

There are also two afterschool clubs near by, one at the 'Chapel on the Hill' in Christchurch (which is now mostly flats) and one at the Methodist church on Shipman Rd. Both serve all the neighboring schools.

mrcee

08-02-2011 10:25 PM

It would be worth also looking at stillness which is a very good school, apart from that you cannot go wrong with where ever you end up. I moved south from north (north london that is ;-)) and chose honor oak over forest hill, i liked both but something unexplained ticked a box in HOP.

movingsouth

09-02-2011 12:08 PM

goodmornig today i fell very positive (it will not last !) so thank you to your contributions

Mrcee... I do like the sound of Honor Oak and Brockley tbh. I know what you mean, it is all down to the imponderable and the feeling one gets once starting to move around the area. This will be more important once I have sorted schooling and after the initial period of renting.
Oh I also like the ''sound'' of Hither Hill but that may be that touch to east for fast connection into town (maybe???)

I have seen some really spacious and reasonably priced maisonettes on Honor Oak Road
I have never lived above a shop but in order to get the extra room it is something I would now consider. How is the main Road?

movingsouth

11-02-2011 09:10 AM

Hello again
does anyone knows this building?
how is it like?
Taymount Rise, Forest Hill, London SE23

michael

11-02-2011 09:17 AM

Taymount Rise is a road, not a building.
It is a lovely road with a nice hill to keep you fit but is 5-8 minutes from the train station and is virtually in the town centre and close to the museum. It has some very nice houses and flats. I'm very pleased I live there.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

11-02-2011 11:27 AM

I echo Michael's comments, although you do need to keep an eye out for pedestrians in that area...

There are two large apartment blocks on Taymount Rise - Taymount Grange and Forest Croft. There is some information on at least them in the forum threads:

Forest Croft

Taymount Grange

There are also a bunch of other apartment blocks and converted houses on the hill.

The hill mainly falls in the catchment area for Eliot Bank School but depending of how far down the hill you live you'd also have a good chance with Horniman School (I live on the hill and my son goes to Horniman) and an outside chance of Fairlawn.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  St. Francesca Cabrini primary school may close permanently (Forest Hill Road) samuelsen 0 2,900 21-05-2022 07:12 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Primary School AleAle 1 2,964 29-10-2021 07:44 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Fairlawn Primary - After school drshortcutify 1 4,834 01-09-2018 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Councils to start restricting sibling priority for primary school places Decker 29 29,037 01-05-2015 01:21 PM
Last Post: ForestHillier
  Vintage Christmas Fair at Kilmorie Primary School BMSE23 1 5,521 02-12-2014 09:42 PM
Last Post: Jane2
  Child care for primary school children moschops_ 7 10,659 12-09-2014 07:36 AM
Last Post: CrustyRack
  Primary school admissions day daveherne 15 15,300 23-04-2014 08:33 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Rathfern primary school mole21 4 8,108 20-01-2014 09:27 AM
Last Post: BoMo
  List of primary school catchment areas hoona 17 23,138 21-10-2013 01:47 PM
  Teachers Strike at Forest Hill Primary School Deano 6 10,067 13-10-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: lacb
  Stillness Primary School Roses123 3 8,417 02-08-2013 08:22 PM
Last Post: vickyb
  Primary school places September 2013 Hillstop 36 37,146 11-06-2013 12:30 PM
  Primary school league tables rmurraywest 0 4,531 13-12-2012 01:38 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Robin Bosher to leave Fairlawn Primary School roz 21 31,492 09-07-2012 07:42 AM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming
  Fairlawn Primary school reception intake Sept 11 roz 5 10,722 26-05-2011 03:11 PM
Last Post: SE23 SU
  Horniman Primary School Place 2011/2012 mons 30 35,034 08-05-2011 09:11 PM
Last Post: Satchers
  Nearly New Sale - Horniman Primary School, Forest Hill BakingMummy 5 9,157 16-10-2010 09:39 AM
Last Post: BakingMummy
  Horniman Primary School Table Top Sale 28.3.09 Katie H-M 0 3,823 25-03-2009 06:53 AM
Last Post: Katie H-M
  Horniman Primary School Westwood Bear 2 6,597 04-03-2009 07:46 PM
Last Post: annsquire66