SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Moving to FH
Gary R

07-02-2011 12:29 PM

Hi all,

My wife and I are hoping to move to FH from Orpington in the next few months. We really like the area and think it has great links into town.

We saw a house on Saturday that we really like, but I have concerns that it is a bit far away from the 'action' as it were. It is almost out at the Sainsbury's at Bell Green, but just about sneaks into the SE23 postcode.

We would most likely be using FH station to commute for work, and this place is probably a 20 min walk from the station. I know there is a bus route up Perry Rise/Vale, but they appear to be infrequent (3 an hour). The walk to the station doesn't concern me too much (I could cycle) but I do wonder if the house is a bit too far away from the main area of FH, the cafes, pubs, and restaurants. These are the kind of things that attract us from Orpington (originally we looked at Crystal Palace, but can't afford it and the trains are not as good), and I can't help wondering by being a bit removed from them, whether we are actually any better off.

Does anyone else live out this way and have any opinions? Are there nice things to do in the immediate area?

Also, what is the latest on the proposed development of the old gas works?

Thanks! Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blushingsnail

07-02-2011 01:02 PM

I live out that way but not as far as where you're looking. If restaurants and bars are important to you then yes, I think it's too far from the town centre. The 356 bus isn't reliable and you'd get fed up with the long walk. There are some benefits of the area: fairly quiet, easy access to Sydenham, Forest Hill and Catford (which gives you a greater choice of trains), and of course Sainsbury's at Bell Green, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone wanting a social life on their door step.

As for the old gas works, the site in front of Sainsbury's is being prepared for a residential development (quite a tall one); and the site to the east is earmarked for commercial units although that fell through due to the economic downturn and I don't know if anyone has plans to develop it at the moment. There's also a redevelopment across the road of what used to be a parade of shops with flats above. It's being demolished to be replaced with another residential development.

mgmonkey

07-02-2011 01:56 PM

If you can find a place in the right roads, say the roads of and around Vancouver, Woolstone & Cranston Roads for Forest Hill or Blythe Hill/Brockley Rise for Honor Oak, you can end up pretty much equidistant between Forest Hill/Honor Oak & Catford at about 15 minutes walk each way. Which can open up your travel options.

Poppy9560

07-02-2011 07:46 PM

I echo mgmonkey's recomendation for the Blythe Hill area - walkable to HOP or the two stations in Catford for work/night out travel and nice and green

Princess2011

07-02-2011 08:16 PM

Hi, I live off Woolstone Road and agree it is a bit of walk to the station (Forest Hill) although I was still managing it every day when 8 months pregnant! I will say that it is not a very pleasant walk in the dark as the pavements are not well lit and there are a lot of trees! I tend to get a cab home if I have been out after work. The 356 bus is very unreliable unfortunately. As others have said you could get a train to/from Catford or Catford Bridge and use the buses that run along Perry Hill.

It is a fairly quiet area to live in which is nice when you are at home but there are not that many places to go that you can walk to from here. I've found the neighbours in my road to be the friendliest I've come across in 15 years of living in London.

Hope that helps!

Gary R

09-02-2011 08:15 AM

Well, last night we walked it from the station to the house in question and did it in under 13 minutes Wow. Admittedly that was at a marching pace, but I wasn't out of breath when we got there. We then walked back at a slightly more sedate pace, but still got to the other side of the station in 15 mins. Thumbsup

I didn't think the road was too bad - at least it's main roads the whole way, and at that time (7ish) it was busy with cars and commuters walking home.

I think I can handle being a 15 min walk / 5 min cycle from the station. Also, I reckon it is about a 10 min walk to the Blythe Hill Tavern, which by all accounts is a very nice pub.

Sherwood

10-02-2011 07:56 AM

The Pery Hill might be nearer.

You could possibly get a bus to Sydenham for the railway station.
Lower Sydenham should be very near. It is the Hayes to London Bridge, Charing Cross & Cannon Street line.

jon14

10-02-2011 10:21 AM

Sherwood wrote:
You could possibly get a bus to Sydenham for the railway station.
Lower Sydenham should be very near. It is the Hayes to London Bridge, Charing Cross & Cannon Street line.

Although Lower Sydenham is in zone 4 - not a problem necessarily, just a consideration!

michael

10-02-2011 10:59 AM

Gary wrote:
10 min walk to the Blythe Hill Tavern, which by all accounts is a very nice pub.

It is a nice pub, but not to everybody's taste. But you are probably not a lot further from the Honor Oak pub on Brockley Rise. Between the two of these pubs there is something for most people.

Gary R

10-02-2011 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your input, fingers crossed for the house now Scared

movingsouth

10-02-2011 02:48 PM

all the best Gary
hope everything goes smooth

Gary R

10-02-2011 04:17 PM

Thanks ms Smile

Dillwihs

22-02-2011 02:02 PM

I live off perry rise it 20mins to forest hill station, 10 mins if you are fit. There is another station by bell green under the bridge on the right, i don't recall the name. I believe it goes to london bridge. Choose sydenham station, you bus it there.

brian

22-02-2011 02:06 PM

The other station is Lower Sydenham on the Hayes to Cannon Street/Charing Cross lines.
Usually 4 trains an hour. Two to CS and two to CC.

Gep

02-03-2011 02:09 PM

Isn't it quicker to get a train from Orpington to Forest Hill then walk from Bell Green? Smile
I would wait to see if something else comes up in the Perry Vale area, there are a lot of quiet street like Westbourne Drive, Church Rise,... near the "action".

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields