SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New to area - opinions appreciated!
Baytree

02-02-2011 12:21 PM

Hi. I am new to the Forum and not yet in Forest Hill, but have been reading the forum with interest to get an idea of the area.

I was hoping you could help. I am thinking of moving to the area behind the library - one of the roads between Dartmouth Road and Sydenham Hill (as they are quiet close to the station and Eliot Bank School). I would be grateful if you could tell me what this area is like.
Yesterday's incident at the Job Centre has scared me a little, do you get a lot of trouble from the High street spilling onto these back roads?
Is burglary high (I can't get on the police.uk site)?
Is parking a big problem given its proximity to the High Street?
Does it feel safe walking back late at night? (I would potentially be passing the infamous Bird in Hand)

Sorry for all the questions, but it is hard to judge an area without having lived in it.
Thanks in advance.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

02-02-2011 12:40 PM

Welcome to SE23.
Of course there are problems in SE23 but I would think no more than most areas in London and a lot less than some.
Not to sure what happened yesterday but I believe that is relatively rare ( or let us hope so )
The Bird in The Hand is the lowest common denominator pub in SE23 , every area has one. At least they are all in one place.

Parking in the area you mention not great but not terrible.

Best wishes

michael

02-02-2011 01:29 PM

Baytree,
Once you are able to access police.uk you will see that the roads in that area are very safe, with few crimes.

Bird in Hand is probably quite safe, although I don't think anybody on the forum has been in for many years - there are plenty of nice pubs in the area to choose from.

But I would suggest that you judge for yourself by spending an evening in the local area, maybe go for a drink at the Dartmouth Arms or the Question Bar and walk up to Thorpewood, you'll find it a pleasant way to spend an evening, and you can provide an unbiased report.

robin orton

02-02-2011 02:39 PM

I live in the area, between Dartmouth Road and upper Kirkdale, which you're thinking of moving to, 'Baytree', and have done for thirty years; our daughter went to Eliot Bank school. We have had hardly any experience of crime or anti-social behaviour; the area is quiet, friendly and neighbourly. I've walked home regularly from the station at all times of day and night, past the 'notorious' Bird in Hand, and have never encountered anything remotely alarming. Whether there are any problems with on-street parking depends partly, I suspect, on how near Dartmouth Road you are; where we are, nearer to Kirkdale, is fine.
Feel free to send me a PM if you need more info.

ryananglem

02-02-2011 03:37 PM

Ive lived near to the Bird in Hand for around five years and aside from having to put up with the constant mess created around the pub, and the language (I once caught 5 'f's walking past) - havent really felt threatened.

Forest Hill is a lot more friendly than in most of the other places around London that I've lived. If you do move Im sure you wont regret it.

Hawkesrah

02-02-2011 07:59 PM

Baytree
I delivered leaflets in Forest Hill for years and the roads you are considering are amongst the safest in the area especially Thorpewood Avenue / Round Hill.

I have lived in FH for 11 years and thats the first major crime incident I have heard of in the Dartmouth Road area

DerbyHillTop

02-02-2011 08:51 PM

The area behind the Library is very quiet indeed. It took me a while to get used to bird song waking me up rather than the car noise. Mind you some houses that back on the swimming pool may indure some noise for a year or so.

Good luck with your search. There are a lot of residents who have been here for years (and thus not likely to sell for quick profit)

Nicnack

02-02-2011 10:24 PM

Welcome to Forest Hill

I live in the top end of Thorpewood Avenue.

I have also a property in Camberwell and have lived in north, east and west london.

This area is so lovely, specially in the spring and summer. Great people, parks and lots more.

Of course there is the occassional upset but generally this area is an oasis of lovelyness.

Have fun.

oryx

02-02-2011 11:37 PM

I've been IN the Bird-in-Hand, about four years ago, and didn't think it was that bad! Laugh

Either it's gone downhill badly or I am SE23.com's token lowlife. Wink

Seriously, I'm in Honor Oak Park rather than Forest Hill but I find the whole area lovely. We moved here four years ago today and I have no regrets.

gingernuts

03-02-2011 06:07 PM

The Bird In Hand is a great pub if you like sport (big screen, SKY Sport etc) and very convenient for the Paddy Power across the road. It's actually an OK pub if you like that sort of thing. Sadly there are some snobs on this forum who find this an unwelcome part of the neighbourhood as it can attract working class people (builder types for example) who like a drink. The bar staff are friendly enough. I wouldnt worry if I were you, just mind yourself in the Job Centre! Otherwise Forest Hill is a lovely area.Thumbsup

Baytree

03-02-2011 06:40 PM

Thank you so much everyone - this is really helpful information. It has put my mind at rest a little and given me a bit more reaassurance about my decision.

And hopefully I will not be having to visit the job centre anytime soon!

movingsouth

08-02-2011 10:10 PM

Hi Baytree, can I be really nosey and ask you where are you moving from?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields