SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Street party
linda

31-01-2011 12:31 PM

Hello everybody,

With the Royal Wedding coming up, does anybody know if it would be possible to have a street party in Se23? I know that there is an organisation called The Big Lunch, but they only operate on a set date 5th June. I am not an avid royalist, just someone who would like to have a knees up with my local community. What does everyone else think?

Linda

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zimmerman

31-01-2011 02:24 PM

The Childrens Day Party.

Street party.

It depends how you want to hold a Street Party. if it is to be held in a street, then a suitable place should be found there is no need to use an open road or highway, it could be held on a space such as a forecourt of a Pub, a Cul de Sac, or open green.
If you are thinking of having a street party for those who live in your street then you can hold it in a hired hall.
Think that any Street Party on a Street that is planed must have safety regulations in place, insurance, permission of the council and Fee. Remember the Organisers are held liable for it.

To hold one at a private place that you have hired all these are covered.
If you hire a Hall.
There are things that have to be considered, there must be a way of seating the guests and if food is going to be provided tables, it is normal that on these occasions that the food is prepared and given free by those attending, there is also the plates and cups or glasses. If there is to be dancing there should be ample space, and music be provided there would be electricity there and lighting for the evening, this venue is more suitable in wet weather.

I attended some in the Streets.
The night of the declaration of the end of the War fires were lighted in the streets the fires raged to the extent that the tarmac road covering caught light, and letters in the red post box got burned.
Days after Street Parties were organised for the afternoon and evening.
One for the end of World War Two VE Day against Germany.
Another for the end of the war V J Day against Japan.

I can truthfully say that people came out and shared their meagre rationed food with everybody, it was a grand way to get to know those who you thought were a misery, to find they were the life and sole of the party.
In our case a piano was dragged along the road and to our surprise played very professionally by the most unlikely person, another played a banjo and another the Bones, and the singers made everybody join in.

Whether you are in agreement with the reason of the party or not, if you do not go then you will have no memories to look back on when others say what did you do then.
For my part I do strongly recommend it.

roz

31-01-2011 03:05 PM

I think people should be able to have a party if they want. Unfortunately we won't be celebrating the wedding as we are less avid royalists than you profess to be!

Londondrz

31-01-2011 07:33 PM

Roz, dont be such a party pooper! Any chance of a day off and a party I am up for it.

Problem according to Times, Telegraph etc is that those wishing to have a street party will have to stump up quite a bit of cash to have "street management" companies organising stret closures etc.

Couple of burning cars at each end of the road and Bobs your uncleThumbsup

brian

31-01-2011 07:34 PM

I think you should need to obtain permission from the authorities otherwise people could on any day close a road for a function.
In 1952 very few cars and even in 77 nowhere near as many as there are today.
To hold a proper party one would need to clear all parked cars.
Roz
If you are not a patriot why would you want a street party at that time.

roz

31-01-2011 09:58 PM

I don't want a party Brian but I don't see why people who do shouldn't have one. Personally I'm trying to find a way of avoiding the whole thing so will probably try and spend a few days in la republique de France instead but I bet thats popular.

robin orton

01-02-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:
Personally I'm trying to find a way of avoiding the whole thing

Poor Roz. It must be so sad to have to flee the country at a time of national thanksgiving and celebration - and then to feel obliged to tell us all about it!

God save the Queen and her lawful heirs and successors, say I.

michael

01-02-2011 09:00 AM

I think the idea of fleeing the royal family and going to France has been tried before. Watch out for those paparazzi in underpasses. (Too soon?)

If everybody wants a street party the most effective way seems to be to crash the sewage system in London Road. We may need to get all of Forest Hill to coordinate their party-'pooping' actions to bring down the corrupt sewage system so that we can close the south circular, diverting traffic down the surrounding evacuated republican streets.

brian

01-02-2011 11:48 AM

Roz
Partly see where you are coming from.

Looking back to 1997 about 8 of us quickly booked Eurostar day returns to Brussels for the day.
Not that we were anti monarchy, just anti Diana and all that over the top weeping by those who had never met her and abuse they were giving the Prince's Grandmother who was doing her duty in looking after them.
We had a great day in Brussels drinking too much as usual.
Avoid France , Belgium much better on the beer front folks.

Trouble is too much traffic in genearl to close many roads. Imagine closing London Rd opr Stanstead Rd just because the locals want to. Though maybe with the higher and higher price of oil people will ditch their cars.

brian

02-02-2011 12:48 PM

Lady on Breakfast TV talking about risk assesment and insurance before you even get round to planning the food and drink for the party.

FHSoc

02-02-2011 04:08 PM

Full details of the process for applying for a road closure are given here, but among the 30 conditions are:

• Permission for closures will not be granted on a main road, bus routes or emergency vehicle priority route.
  • Road closures for events on the highway will only ever be granted in roads where there is little or no through traffic and there is no previous history of such events causing nuisance.
  • The road can only be closed for the hours agreed. The event must be finished, and the street re-opened by 7pm.
  • The approval of ALL affected residents in the road must be obtained prior to the Council agreeing to any closure, this will avoid unnecessary conflict at the event.

Sherwood

02-02-2011 04:20 PM

Street parties were very common many years ago.

brian

02-02-2011 05:26 PM

Can you imagine the problem of obtaining permission of every resident affected. Someone is bound to object.

Zimmerman

02-02-2011 05:46 PM

Reading the messages here one would be inclined to think that thousands of major roads are going to be closed to traffic and bring London to a standstill, cause big congestion problems.
Who would want to close a whole width of the road or the whole length? You would select a quiet road.
The general consensus is that very many people more or less the whole residents in the road presumed thousands in some places, but there are many who would not partake, as they are anti social. I do not think that there will be large parties.

Organisers can only be held responsible if known. In my experience other than telling your close neighbours that you are having a Street Party just to get their feelings and whether they would if held participate, it is then up to the persons to just come out of their houses and bring something for the needs of the party.
This is a spontaneous occurrence, any organised party would cost you a lot of money.

The thing that should be remembered is that the Country has been invited to have street party’s.
Would the authorities be able to Police all of those or just the rowdy ones.
Any case taken to court for non notification of holding a street party, would not be looked on as acceptable as it was an invitation to partake in the Royal Occasion for rejoicing.

It would be unthinkable for me to tell the public that I will not be in my home on this day, or any of the other people that had their names included on the list of intended people attending a street Party.
In these uncertain days it is not advisable to give your whereabouts at a specific time.
Read the news the next day. White Van Hire had its most successful day every van was out on hire.
Boot sales are well stocked this weekend buy back your valuables.

Yes I have been on real Street Party's.
There is always a person who thinks that they are in some way an authority to instruct you on what you should do, be your own person do what you want.

Sherwood

02-02-2011 05:47 PM

Possibly not if you invite everyone.

squashst

02-02-2011 06:11 PM

Reaching back to 1997 / Princess Di, I recall avoiding most of the days events by drinking in the Bird in Hand in its Weatherspoons guise (probably not such a great option now as various other posts have hinted). I remember getting back and seeing on the TV Ruby Wax interviewing various luminaries on the days events.

Perhaps Ruby Wax will have a role on the great day again?

Nicnack

04-02-2011 10:11 PM

CRICKEY!

Thats all thee is to say on that one.

Sounds good to me.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Colfe road street party this Sunday 2-8pm ForestHill Mum 0 2,181 14-09-2021 09:07 PM
Last Post: ForestHill Mum
  Colfe road Street party- Saturday 29th June 3-9pm ForestHill Mum 0 2,660 24-06-2019 11:10 AM
  Colfe Road Street party- Sunday 10th June 2-8pm ForestHill Mum 4 7,453 19-07-2018 02:50 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Street party on Colfe Road Sunday 11th September ForestHill Mum 5 6,050 08-09-2016 11:46 AM
  Loud street party near Honor Oak Poppet2 3 5,681 29-08-2015 09:00 PM
Last Post: Mr Robin Banks
  Colfe Road Street Party ForestHill Mum 13 17,541 07-06-2015 08:24 AM
  is there a jubilee street party on the hill? isaglanzer 20 24,432 06-06-2012 01:55 PM
Last Post: isaglanzer